Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when a passport is seized?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GE
What happens when a passport is seized?

The recent news stories out of Brazil have given me some theoretical questions about what happens when one's passport is seized and departure disallowed, while in a country one is not a national of.
  1. Surely such seizure happens with the (implicit) consent of the issuing government? As the local embassy has authority to issue new travel documents to the person in question? It must be general practice to not reissue seized documents?
  2. What happens to a dual national (who is still not a national of the seizing government) with multiple travel documents?
  3. I assume it is generally not possible to overstay a visa when passport has been seized?
  4. Is there any standard practice one should follow, besides consulting local legal counsel and their country's embassy?

Of course I have always been cautious and fortunate enough to always respect overseas laws and never be in such a position (and never encounter any corruption or other factors) but since passports are often seized from material witnesses and other people entirely innocent of any crime, I want to be well informed.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
The recent news stories out of Brazil have given me some theoretical questions about what happens when one's passport is seized and departure disallowed, while in a country one is not a national of.
  1. Surely such seizure happens with the (implicit) consent of the issuing government? As the local embassy has authority to issue new travel documents to the person in question? It must be general practice to not reissue seized documents?
  2. What happens to a dual national (who is still not a national of the seizing government) with multiple travel documents?
  3. I assume it is generally not possible to overstay a visa when passport has been seized?
  4. Is there any standard practice one should follow, besides consulting local legal counsel and their country's embassy?

Of course I have always been cautious and fortunate enough to always respect overseas laws and never be in such a position (and never encounter any corruption or other factors) but since passports are often seized from material witnesses and other people entirely innocent of any crime, I want to be well informed.
1 isn't always the case. And sometimes the passport issuing country of the seized passport will issue a new passport, but often enough they won't if they catch wind that the replacement passport is being requested because of a court-ordered seizure.

2 Dual nationals may sometimes procure a passport from country of other citizenship and use that to try to leave. But exit passport control checks sometimes do prevent such attempts.

3 It's possible to overstay as a result of a passport seizure but adverse action due to what may or may not be an overstay is probably the lesser of the problems when the subject of a passport seizure abroad.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: A few, *G,
I highly doubt an embassy would knowingly issue a travel document to a person whose passport was seized. That would undermine the nature of state to state respect for passports.

Your name may appear on the page, but the document is owned by the issuing government, who requests you be given passage to a foreign state.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
2 Dual nationals may sometimes procure a passport from country of other citizenship and use that to try to leave. But exit passport control checks sometimes do prevent such attempts.
Notwithstanding the original legal problem, it would be hard to leave on a travel document which was not used to enter the country, particularly if the country has outbound immigration control. Even if a document from other country of citizenship has different name, at the very minimum a border official would ask how such person entered the country. Brasil is not a country with lax entrance/exit border checks.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by König
Notwithstanding the original legal problem, it would be hard to leave on a travel document which was not used to enter the country, particularly if the country has outbound immigration control. Even if a document from other country of citizenship has different name, at the very minimum a border official would ask how such person entered the country. Brasil is not a country with lax entrance/exit border checks.
<deleted by moderator>

Brazil doesn't require passports from all foreign nationals entering/exiting Brazil. In other words, there are ways out where stamps don't matter.

If using a newly issued US passport with no stamps to fly out of Brazil on common carriers, then there may be issues. That said, it's not all that unheard of for passports to be stolen in Brazil for blackmarket use and then some; the victims of such thefts do fly out of Brazil daily.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 18, 2016 at 4:38 pm Reason: Off topic; not practical advice/information
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Per this forum's sticky post:

Originally Posted by scoow
Welcome to Travel Safety/Security’s Practical Issues forum. This is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely and with minimal hassle.

<snip>

Before posting, ask yourself, “If I were traveling today, is this something I need to know?” For example, threads discussing what is permitted through a TSA checkpoint belong in this forum. If it is a debate... it belongs in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

<snip>
Posters come here in search of practical information about travel safety and security.

Please keep your responses relevant to the OP's question.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
If you get your passport confiscated, I can imagine your name (and DOB) being put on a watchlist for exits (easy to enforce if passports are digitally scanned on exit). Getting a replacement document from the same country obviously wouldn't help in that case, although you might have a bit more leeway with dual citizenship. (Not sure if this applies for Brazil, but most places I've been to do a digital passport check, although it's patchy in Schengen.)
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by televisor
If you get your passport confiscated, I can imagine your name (and DOB) being put on a watchlist for exits (easy to enforce if passports are digitally scanned on exit). Getting a replacement document from the same country obviously wouldn't help in that case, although you might have a bit more leeway with dual citizenship. (Not sure if this applies for Brazil, but most places I've been to do a digital passport check, although it's patchy in Schengen.)
Unless they do facial matching you'll have a new passport number. This may or may not allow you to get through depending on the country.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 19, 2016 at 7:08 am
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Unless the do facialaching you'll have a new passport number. This may or may not allow you to get through depending on the country.
Most countries seem to issue new passport numbers, even for countries that do facial matching.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most countries seem to issue new passport numbers, even for countries that do facial matching.
Point was that the new passport may allow you to exit the country try that has collected your passport. Unless that country does facial matching at exit checkpoint.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Point was that the new passport may allow you to exit the country try that has collected your passport. Unless that country does facial matching at exit checkpoint.
Name (and possibly DOB) matching would be enough. Plenty of people seem to get X'd at US APC kiosks based on purely their name, I don't see why other countries wouldn't have similar systems.

And once you've picked them up based on name, it's easy enough to do a more detailed lookup.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:10 am

Can one get a new passport issued if one's employer takes one's passport? In some countries in the Middle East, it is common for foreign workers to be forced to give their passports to their employers. There are allegations that this has led to abusive practices. I have wondered for years why in these cases, the workers can't go to their embassy to get a replacement passport if they want to leave.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by guflyer
Can one get a new passport issued if one's employer takes one's passport? In some countries in the Middle East, it is common for foreign workers to be forced to give their passports to their employers. There are allegations that this has led to abusive practices. I have wondered for years why in these cases, the workers can't go to their embassy to get a replacement passport if they want to leave.
They may in some cases get a new passport, but the host authorities may still frustrate exit by looking into/up things about the individual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.