Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How does one figure out if they are on a list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

So for the first time in my life, I got the dreaded SSSS.
Flying IST-LHR-PHL-CAK, the LHR-PHL portion was designated SSSS. Normally going through checkpoints in all airports I get my carry on searched (I do carry more electronics than I should) and have been refused boarding by an airline agent before because of Lithium Ion batteries.
This is my second time flying IST-LHR then on to the US(first IST-LHR-ORD-PIT), and I was pulled aside for a search before.
My question is if I am flying from airports near PIT to IST, and on a second one way itinerary to GZT(Gaziantep), on an airline that is only functional in turkey, can/how will this raise red flags?
Will this impact my NEXUS application?
<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 17, 2016 at 9:10 am Reason: Not necessary
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:27 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
So for the first time in my life, I got the dreaded SSSS.
Flying IST-LHR-PHL-CAK, the LHR-PHL portion was designated SSSS. Normally going through checkpoints in all airports I get my carry on searched (I do carry more electronics than I should) and have been refused boarding by an airline agent before because of Lithium Ion batteries.
This is my second time flying IST-LHR then on to the US(first IST-LHR-ORD-PIT), and I was pulled aside for a search before.
My question is if I am flying from airports near PIT to IST, and on a second one way itinerary to GZT(Gaziantep), on an airline that is only functional in turkey, can/how will this raise red flags?
Will this impact my NEXUS application?
<deleted by moderator>
Welcome to Flyertalk.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of people getting SSSS following a visit to Turkey. Given that you're two for two with SSSS on trips originating in Turkey, I'd say that it's likely the Turkey bit that's resulting in secondary searches.

As to your PIT to IST routing, it's impossible to say if it will raise red flags. The fact you're flying one way on a domestic Turkish carrier is probably irrelevant -- it's the IST segment that causes concern.

It's also impossible to know how or if it will affect a NEXUS application. In theory, an SSSS shouldn't automatically affect it. But remember that Immigration authorities are not completely transparent with the qualification criteria because if they were, it would be easier to people who have nefarious intentions to simple avoid Turkey travel, for example, in order to get approved for Nexus.

During your interview you may be asked to explain why you travel to Turkey so frequently. Presuming you have a innocuous, believable explanation one would hope that doesn't automatically result in your denial.

ETA: I didn't answer the question posed in your thread title: You can apply for a redress number, which is given to people who are chronically harassed at airport security checkpoints and Immigration for no valid reason. I'm not sure if a Freedom of Information Act request to Homeland Security and Immigration would yield anything meaningful. I suspect the presence or absence of your name on a list would be considered classified information.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
I was selected returning from FCO on 9/2 for the first time ever as well. I am wondering what triggered this. I was not selected on the way to Europe. Trying to figure out what changed during my time in Europe. I was nowhere near turkey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.