Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electric toothbrush lost/confiscated from checked bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

I was traveling yesterday (Southwest, MDW-DEN) with some scientific equipment in my checked bag -- nothing hazardous, but possibly "interesting" on the x-ray. As I sort of expected, there was a TSA inspection note in the bag when it arrived.

As far as I can tell, nothing is missing except for my Oral-B electric toothbrush. It does contain a battery, but it's NiMH rather than lithium, so I can't see how it would have been a prohibited item. Actually, from what I can read, even lithium batteries that are installed in equipment would be OK in checked bags. Am I missing something, or is it likely that the toothbrush was just misplaced (or stolen, I guess) rather than confiscated for safety reasons?

Is there any chance of filing a claim with the TSA or the airline for this? I bought it on eBay last year for $54.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perfectly legit. Somebody has a new toothbrush for the price of a head.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HomelessScientist
Is there any chance of filing a claim with the TSA or the airline for this? I bought it on eBay last year for $54.
They probably just dropped it or misplaced it when tossing your bag.

You can indeed file a claim for it, but if it's anything like the claims I've filed against TSA in the past, they will just deny it with some vague reason. You can always appeal, but it involves going to some federal court of some sort IIRC.

Still, you're not out anything if you do try to file a claim.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Perfectly legit. Somebody has a new toothbrush for the price of a head.
Or depending on the person's standard of hygiene, not even that...
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta, United
As said, given you had a TSA notice of your bag being tossed file a claim. If you have the flea-bay documentation add that to the list as well as the replacement cost. If you have the remaining parts provides images and any info on the batteries being NiMH.

Also you should note how it was packed - i.e. in a toiletry kit that had to be opened not just lose in the bag so no chance for it to fall out.

If your claim is denied for some BS reason send it to your Congress <deleted by moderator>. I had to do that. Yeah I spent more time than the $12 I got but it was the principle at that point.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 15, 2016 at 1:51 pm Reason: Leave that characterization for OMNI/PR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.