Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should you wear to the airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I would recommend slip on shoes with socks because it maybe 30 seconds or it may not be. Sometimes there is a delay especially if it's really busy. If you insist on sandals, some airports have plastic booties by security that you can put on.

I also recommend emptying your pockets and putting it in your check-in luggage instead of using the little trays prior to getting in line. I had a pair of sunglasses that got damaged because they fell out of the small tray. And yes take off your belt and take out your laptop.

All these hassles makes TSA pre-check worth getting.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:11 pm

I wore flip flops once because I pretty much live in them all summer. I am rethinking that decision.....it is kind of gross to walk around in bare feet in that area.... And, in an emergency situation, not safe.

Correct me if I am wrong, FT experts, but the bag doesn't go in a bucket, correct? It just goes on the belt.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
You should wear socks on your feet (they won't make you take them off). I've seen so many people in the USA going barefoot in the security area. Some have filthy feet and you could catch something bad from them via the dirty floor like planters warts for example.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Just to make it absolutely clear, you absolutely should not check your laptop. You are risking theft in that case.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I'm probably paranoid, but I always wear real shoes with socks and long pants (either jeans or khakis) when I fly. If, God forbid, you have to evacuate the aircraft in an emergency you want to be somewhat protected.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What's that old Norse word I am looking for?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I'm probably paranoid, but I always wear real shoes with socks and long pants (either jeans or khakis) when I fly. If, God forbid, you have to evacuate the aircraft in an emergency you want to be somewhat protected.
+1
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by ItsJustMike
hmm I don't have any sandals with a strap. I pretty much live in flip flops in the summer months. whatever, I don't mind through security barefoot...what is it, for 20 seconds?
I wear flip flops. Never had to take them off.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I wear flip flops. Never had to take them off.
I've always had to take flip flips off (US security).

I tried sliding through the WTMD standing on paper napkins to keep my feet clean and that worked a couple times, then TSA told me I could do it but it would trigger a grope.

Then I used the booties for a while - one airport actually supplied them at the checkpoint. That worked OK until my home airport at the time decided that you could use booties (they didn't supply them), but you had to remove them and discard them immediately after the scan - meaning you still had to walk over and retrieve your belongings from the belt in bare/stockinged feet.

For several years now, I remove my footwear (whatever it is) before the TDC. I put on cheap socks and remove them after the checkpoint.

I'm actually more concerned about airport floors than I am about being barefoot outside generally. Too many bare foot germs from feet that were recently cooped up and sweaty. I also don't move well (quickly) when removing/putting on footwear, so it benefits everyone if I take care of it before I get in line.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Yes. Absolutely. This. I'm exactly the same.

And ensure you're wearing natural fibres, not artificial. If there's an incident like the one at Dubai last week, and you end up exposed to fire or explosion, you do *not* want to be wearing form-fitting napalm, which is what'll happen to nylon, etc.

(Question: so why do cabin crew wear polyester? Answer: it's about the only artificial fabric that's inherently fire-retardant.)
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:20 pm

Depending where you are and the time of day that you are travelling, I would wear socks and shoes. Besides the germs, you never know what might have dropped on the floor... anything with sharp objects could really ruin your day.

That said, I find if you're wearing something presentable, you should be fine. If you're going for the grunge look, you're going to have a bad time in the airport and onboard. You don't need to wear your Sunday best, but don't look like a bum. besides the sandals, your picture seems fine...
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by ItsJustMike
ok, and just so I know. i only have to take off my belt? and a sweater if I put one on?
Yes, you will have to remove your sweater if you are wearing one. And the belt. Laptops always go in the carry-on! never in checked baggage. You will remove it from your backpack and place it in its own plastic security bin. Sandals, belt, and backpack can go in a second bin.

Happy travels!
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by jonsg
Yes. Absolutely. This. I'm exactly the same.

And ensure you're wearing natural fibres, not artificial. If there's an incident like the one at Dubai last week, and you end up exposed to fire or explosion, you do *not* want to be wearing form-fitting napalm, which is what'll happen to nylon, etc.

(Question: so why do cabin crew wear polyester? Answer: it's about the only artificial fabric that's inherently fire-retardant.)
Yes natural fibers. I usually wear jeans which are cotton. Sometimes I wear khakis, also cotton.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

<deleted by moderator>

anyway, I was definitely overthinking the security thing. it went relatively smoothly, although the TSA guy was a bit rude...he shoved the bin at me, and when I put my flip flops directly on the conveyor belt (didn't want them on my sweater), he was visibly annoyed and just put them in the bin directly on my sweater...like ...?

getting through the metal detector took longer than I thought cause there were lots of people...I'd say I was barefoot in that security area for a good few minutes lol

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 15, 2016 at 2:02 pm Reason: deleted off topic / non contributive quote and reply
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Yes natural fibers. I usually wear jeans which are cotton. Sometimes I wear khakis, also cotton.
It gets a bit tricky when you start trying to avoid nylon/plastic zips and elastic waistbands, let alone anything metal, especially watches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.