Flying domestically with felony warrant??

Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by Icecat
For the O/P information, Oregon only will extradite in the Northwest. Shoot, in my other life as a highway patrolman, we stopped a guy wanted for a serious sex charge and Oregon wouldn't come twenty miles south of the border to pick him up.
Most Oregonians are afraid of California. With - IMNSHO - good reason. Them folks is weird.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by Icecat
At Sky Harbor, there are always a few people that end their Mexico holiday in jail, because of warrants.
Same thing happens on cruises. You leave Florida and they know when you will be back, gives them 5 or 7 days to arrange your welcome home party.

Moral of the story is get it taken care of, or you are always at some risk.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:47 pm

hey

did you ever take that flight hope you respond
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:39 am

Most people picked up at the airport for a warrant are stopped for something else. Making an idiot of one’s self by having illicit drugs in their possession, a weapon, ammunition, or general asinine behavior will be cause for a LEO response to the checkpoint. The LEO’s will normally run an NCIC check on the individual in question and a federal warrant will normally be reason to detain someone. But I agree with Often1, take the time to get the problem worked out legally. With that over your head you will never know when you will get stopped for some small thing and then get to spend some time in jail because of the warrant.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: UA scumbag. Global Entry. Piggly Wiggly loyalty card.
I make the decision, sometimes, whether we will extradite from wherever on our warrant.

The decisions I make are based mainly on cost to extradite (it's about $1/mile) and seriousness of the offense. Sometimes, if you've skipped bail, the bondsman will pay us to extradite. That happens a lot. On other occasions, I have seen the DA pay for an expensive extradition (from Illinois to Louisiana) for a handful of misdemeanors. The people we work for, and make decisions on behalf of, are mainly elected. You always have to think "what if this becomes a news story?"

I reiterate the advice above. Get a lawyer and get it fixed. Any interaction with any LE official (which I hasten to add the TSA are NOT!) will likely result in an NCIC check. An NCIC check may result in arrest and extradition. Getting extradited from anywhere to anywhere will involve spending time in jail, maybe a few days, maybe even a few months. Jail sucks.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:07 am

everyone says take care of the warrant

Everone is saying take care of the warrant well guess what guys that involves flying back to said jurisdiction that wont extradite and getting arrested soooo really its a mute point maybe you get pinched maybe you dont. Either way they're going to let you board the plane because once a warrant were discovered at the terminal the issui g agency would be contacted and deny extradition then at most wait at terminal and pick up on receiving end . So in a way to fly would be to take care of warrant .

Originally Posted by cordelli
OK, for a lets follow the thread for a second. The very first post (it's at the top of the previous page says

The only possible answer to this issue and to remove any risk is

So while you may or may not agree, this was not off topic advice, it is actually the best advice he could receive.

It's really starting to suck around here that whenever somebody sees an answer they don't like they feel the need to make some rude comment about it.

Seriously, the very best thing this person and anybody else with a warrant could do before getting on an airplane, is to get it taken care of. Everything else is a guessing game, but if you get the warrant resolved, it's no longer a guessing game if you will end up being detained or not.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by MisterNice
No lawyer here but doesnt an arrest warrant trump any statute of limitations.

MisterNice
problem with a statute of limitations is that it applies to untried cases. This is a tried case he was sentenced on. The sentence being probation. So the warrant would be for violation of probation and absconding. Also it depends on what state your in as to whether it shows up everywhere or only in the state it was in. For instance, i have a family member who has felony absconding warrants in Michigan and they don't show up in Florida. However a Florida warrant will show up just about anywhere. It varies state to state and crime by crime. Obviously if it were a serious warrant for something like murder a Michigan warrant would show up anywhere but a felony obscond isn't going to. Regardless, I'm pretty sure flying is ok.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Gypsi L Kope
problem with a statute of limitations is that it applies to untried cases. This is a tried case he was sentenced on. The sentence being probation. So the warrant would be for violation of probation and absconding. Also it depends on what state your in as to whether it shows up everywhere or only in the state it was in. For instance, i have a family member who has felony absconding warrants in Michigan and they don't show up in Florida. However a Florida warrant will show up just about anywhere. It varies state to state and crime by crime. Obviously if it were a serious warrant for something like murder a Michigan warrant would show up anywhere but a felony obscond isn't going to. Regardless, I'm pretty sure flying is ok.
After 7 years since posting, I doubt they’re still waiting for an answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.