Damaged TSA Lock on Checked Bag

Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Thumbs down Damaged TSA Lock on Checked Bag

SEA-JFK-DCA redeye on Mon night ... unfortunately I didn't notice this until I started unpacking at home (~4 hours after picking up the bag, since I had to go to a lunch meeting at my office)
Attached Images  
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Happens from time to time. You can bend that back, I had same lock and same thing still using it.

Just adds character.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Made of cheap alloy (faux) Chinese Steel - use care in bending it back to its original position.
Would never have happened if using case hardened steel.
Two other options - one better than the other:
Lock is made by TUMI - get an 800 number or website and file a complaint
- if TUMI is worth any measure of business they should replace the lock FREE.
Not so good next time in an airport bring the matter up with a TSA official
- the least they could do is drop a letter (note) in your baggage sorry the
lock was not up to standards and we really did need to check your bag Sorry !
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or don't bother locking your bags. If TSA wants to inspect, it's going to inspect and it's going to cut the lock if it's in a hurry. If some thief wants to steal the contents, he's just gonna cut the lock anyway.

Total waste of $.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
the damage occurred on a DL trip ... and I get rather tired of stick-in-the-eye commentary like "well don't lock the bag because TSA will break it anyway"

responses like "it's cheap Chinese steel" at least provide some interesting information
I travel frequently with a tool bag. I use TSA locks on it to keep baggage handlers out. I have had it inspected and not tag as such. I can tell because one of my locks go missing. It's happened three times, two of them flying LAX-MSP.

My guess your locked got jammed and they yanked in it damaging it,
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like it was wedged in between the edge of a conveyor belt and the edge, so it got beat up and bent as the lock was was pulled through with the luggage.

Unfortunately they make those luggage locks pretty cheaply.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If you want pedentry then this thread is nothing to do with the DL forum
As the topic of this discussion has nothing to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program, the new home for it is now the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:45 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
May I kindly, and respectfully suggest to the mods, that, this IS a Delta issue, as the bag was checked on a Delta flight, and was in Delta's possesion, and that just possibly, because the words "TSA lock" were in the title, that it may have been misinterpreted to be an issue with the TSA?!?

I'll go along with rylan on this one, that it was likely damaged while on a conveyor of some sort - again, not likely while being handled or inspected by the TSA.

Last edited by davetravels; Jul 27, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by davetravels
May I kindly, and respectfully suggest to the mods, that, this IS a Delta issue, as the bag was checked on a Delta flight, and was in Delta's possesion, and that just possibly, because the words "TSA lock" were in the title, that it may have been misinterpreted to be an issue with the TSA?!?

I'll go along with rylan on this one, that it was likely damaged while on a conveyor of some sort - again, not likely while being handled or inspected by the TSA.

The number of alerts — yes, plural — which we received from fellow FlyerTalk members pertaining to this discussion suggest otherwise.

Besides, discussion in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is not solely dedicated to the Transportation Security Administration.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
local Tumi store replaced the lock, no questions asked

and speaking of "lock" ... mods can close this if they deem appropriate

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.