Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Canada on Canadian Passport's Expiration Date?

Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

To set the stage: I am a dual US/Canadian citizen, and I have both passports, and Global Entry (but not NEXUS). I live in the US. In a few weeks, I will be traveling to Canada for a weekend, flying into & out of Toronto.

This trip will be before CBSA's new passport rules come into effect.

My US Passport has validity period until sometime in 2017, so there won't be a problem on that front. However, my Canadian passport has an expiration date that is the same day that I fly into Canada.

I have two questions:

1. Will the CBSA & Toronto's automated passport controls consider my Canadian passport valid or expired if has an expiration date the same as my arrival date? I called Passport Canada and the person I spoke to seemed to think it would be valid, but it does say "date of expiration" which would seem to imply it will be expired on the date I arrive.

2. Would the relative hassle of using a potentially very recently expired Canadian passport to enter Canada be higher than just using my US Passport to enter Canada?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would show the airline your US passport but enter on your Canadian passport. The ETA rule doesn't apply to US passports anyway (just to let you know for future travels)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:55 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The only people who know whether automatic passport kiosks will regard your passport as valid on the date of expiry are the authors of the software and people who have tried it - of which you will be one in a few weeks time.

Your US passport will be valid for travel. If your Canadian passport is rejected for entry to Canada, then try the US one. If you're Canadian you can't be denied entry to Canada even if your passport has expired.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by grandsham
To set the stage: I am a dual US/Canadian citizen, and I have both passports, and Global Entry (but not NEXUS). I live in the US. In a few weeks, I will be traveling to Canada for a weekend, flying into & out of Toronto.

This trip will be before CBSA's new passport rules come into effect.

My US Passport has validity period until sometime in 2017, so there won't be a problem on that front. However, my Canadian passport has an expiration date that is the same day that I fly into Canada.

I have two questions:

1. Will the CBSA & Toronto's automated passport controls consider my Canadian passport valid or expired if has an expiration date the same as my arrival date? I called Passport Canada and the person I spoke to seemed to think it would be valid, but it does say "date of expiration" which would seem to imply it will be expired on the date I arrive.

2. Would the relative hassle of using a potentially very recently expired Canadian passport to enter Canada be higher than just using my US Passport to enter Canada?
You are not obliged to use the automated kiosks. Tell the airport workers that you want to see a BSO at the primary inspection line.

You will have no issues with your passport. You won't have any whit the kiosk either, but know that you can always be processes by an officer if you so choose.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Just use your US passport to enter. Assuming you were born in Canada, keep your Canadian passport and birth certificate handy in case the CBSA officer demands proof of your Canadian-ness since your passport will list a place in Canada as your place of birth.

If you weren't born in Canada and were born in a country that for which Canada requires a visa, expect a bit of a hassle.

Why don't you renew your passport? I renewed mine in February and it took a little over a week. I used fedex to send it to Gatineau.

Regarding the new passport rules, they don't really apply to you because as US citizen doesn't need an ETA.

Last edited by mre5765; Jul 25, 2016 at 1:16 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
1. Will the CBSA & Toronto's automated passport controls consider my Canadian passport valid or expired if has an expiration date the same as my arrival date?
It will be valid.

Per your information, your passport is expiring, but not expired. So it is still a valid travel document to enter Canada.

CBSA can't deny the entry of a Canadian. So using your Canadian Passport will have the least risk ever.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mre5765
Just use your US passport to enter. Assuming you were born in Canada, keep your Canadian passport and birth certificate handy in case the CBSA officer demands proof of your Canadian-ness since your passport will list a place in Canada as your place of birth.

If you weren't born in Canada and were born in a country that for which Canada requires a visa, expect a bit of a hassle.

Why don't you renew your passport? I renewed mine in February and it took a little over a week. I used fedex to send it to Gatineau.

Regarding the new passport rules, they don't really apply to you because as US citizen doesn't need an ETA.
He's a dual US/Canadian citizen, so ESTA or visa requirements don't apply to him either way.

His Canadian passport is proof of Canadian citizenship and that should be used to enter Canada as citizens cannot be denied entry into their country of citizenship.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by dustman81
He's a dual US/Canadian citizen, so ESTA or visa requirements don't apply to him either way.
ESTA applies to anyone who cannot prove to the airline's satisfaction that one is Canadian or American.

An expired Canadian passport has a strong chance of being unsatisfactory to an airline drone. A valid American passport has a strong chance of being satisfactory to an airline drone.

His Canadian passport is proof of Canadian citizenship and that should be used to enter Canada as citizens cannot be denied entry into their country of citizenship.
His expired Canadian passport is just going to delay his entry to Canada, especially if a summer student wearing CBSA costume is staffing the passport control booth. He'll get a lecture from a punk on the need to have a valid Canadian passport and/or be referred to secondary or a supervisor.

The fastest way for him to enter Canada, given what he has, is to use his American passport.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
His expired Canadian passport is just going to delay his entry to Canada, especially if a summer student wearing CBSA costume is staffing the passport control booth. He'll get a lecture from a punk on the need to have a valid Canadian passport and/or be referred to secondary or a supervisor.
OP has clearly indicated that his passport has not expired:

However, my Canadian passport has an expiration date that is the same day that I fly into Canada.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
ESTA applies to anyone who cannot prove to the airline's satisfaction that one is Canadian or American.

An expired Canadian passport has a strong chance of being unsatisfactory to an airline drone. A valid American passport has a strong chance of being satisfactory to an airline drone.

The fastest way for him to enter Canada, given what he has, is to use his American passport.
He could also be denied entry using his US passport, if for example, he got a DUI in the US. He's better off using his Canadian passport as he cannot be denied entry as he has proof he is a Canadian citizen.

Also, US passports show place of birth, and if the CBSA officer sees his place of birth as Canada, he/she may wonder why he's trying to enter on a non-Canadian passport, which means a trip to secondary.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond

Also, US passports show place of birth, and if the CBSA officer sees his place of birth as Canada, he/she may wonder why he's trying to enter on a non-Canadian passport, which means a trip to secondary.
There's nothing wrong in entering Canada on a foreign passport even as a Canadian citizen (In fact is fairly common) and if the persons travel intentions aren't to intend to remain, there isn't even a need to verify citizenship.

The DUI comment is nonsense anyway, if he's a Canadian citizen, he could have committed mass murder and he'd still have to be let in, even with a US passport. There are plenty of ways to verify someones citizenship and identity.

The whole point is moot anyway as the passport won't have actually expired.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd worry more about the airline not wanting someone to board with a Canadian passport expiring on the day of travel, but showing the USA passport to airline employees will solve that problem.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Wow this thread is blown out of proportion. OP is traveling to Canada on the expiration date listed on the Canadian passport. It is still valid. It is expired only on the day after. Just use the Canadian passport at check-in and at CBSA inspection.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Planning on checking in with the airline on my US passport, and those are the details on file with the airline with the reservation, so no trouble on that front.

FWIW both passports show a US city for birthplace, as I was born in the states to two Canadian parents. I have entered Canada on my US passport before, and would anticipate no trouble in entering on my US passport this time, if I so chose.

I'd like to avoid a secondary if possible, and "date of expiration" does seem to imply that it is expired on that date. However my gut instinct is the same as most of the replies here, that it will be valid, but I suspect it will ultimately come down to the whims of the agent I get at YYZ.

I appreciate the replies. In the name of science, I will use my Canadian passport when I cross the border, and report back with my findings .
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If you are departing US, then I suppose you should use your US passport to depart as US Government wants US citizens to use their US passports to depart/enter US. Upon arrival in Canada, use your Canadian passport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.