Wiki Posts
Search

What if your papers get lost?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
What if your papers get lost?

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere or is best posted in another forum. If paper stuff like your passport, your credit cards or your itinerary is lost during travel, how do you best prepare in advance to alleviate the inconvenience? Do you take pictures of the information using your smartphone? Thank you.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:03 pm

Take photos of everything with your phone, upload them to somewhere like dropbox.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:11 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
copies of everything including CC's online. 3 paper copies of passport, drivers license, health insurance - 1 in each bag, 1 on my person.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave737
Copies of everything including CC's online. 3 paper copies of passport, drivers license, health insurance - 1 in each bag, 1 on my person.
I do exactly the same. And a copy with family or a friend at home. With pdf's it easy now.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:54 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please continue this discussion in the Practical Travel and Safety Forum. Thank you.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere or is best posted in another forum. If paper stuff like your passport, your credit cards or your itinerary is lost during travel, how do you best prepare in advance to alleviate the inconvenience? Do you take pictures of the information using your smartphone? Thank you.
I have a scan of my ID cards, passports, and other relevant travel docs stored in pdfs in a folder on Dropbox. If I need to access any of the above while travelling, I am able to from my phone or computer provided I can obtain internet access. On my travel computer I access Dropbox through a web browser, so there is no local Dropbox document folder on my computer. On my phone, I have a passcode as does the Dropbox app(different one). While that doesn't guarantee 100% security for my documents if a device goes missing or is stolen, I am confident with the level of security provided versus the ease of access that I have to the information.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Extra health insurance card in my rollaboard, along with a laminated copy of the ID page of my passport. Everything else is on-line.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If my government-issued travel docs were to get lost, then to the nearest US embassy/consulate I would go to report them and replace them. Keep some encrypted image files of various ID related docs in an online draft email, in case I need access to them for printout.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by Dave737
copies of everything including CC's online. 3 paper copies of passport, drivers license, health insurance - 1 in each bag, 1 on my person.
I do this as well. Copies of documents for everybody in each bag. In addition to this I like to upload copies to either dropbox or google drive and share with my the rest of the group as well as somebody who isn't traveling with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.