Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Remember the serial stowaway that keeps getting in the news? The security really isn't that good.
I'm wondering whether it's the same woman. IIRC she was somewhat elderly and tended to prefer NW/DL flights. I think she lives in the MSP area.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:31 pm

Not that serial stowaway

Thanks for the replies... but no, this one was mid to late 20s.

I'm angry that American is trying to sweep this under the rug... not surprised, but... Do you folks think local news outlets might bite?

I travel for business and plan to ask my manager to approve me taking a different airline. This is bonkers.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm wondering whether it's the same woman. IIRC she was somewhat elderly and tended to prefer NW/DL flights. I think she lives in the MSP area.
Who is she? Ada Quonsett?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by squeakr
posters keep it to practical responses and questions about the situation I'm happy to leave it here; otherwise it will go off to the debate forum.

Squeakr

COmod TS/S
Since the discussion strayed from practical questions and responses about this situation, off to Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate we go.

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JBNJ
I travel for business and plan to ask my manager to approve me taking a different airline. This is bonkers.
Good luck with that. I think you'll run out of airlines sooner or later.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:14 pm

I'm angry that American is trying to sweep this under the rug... not surprised, but... Do you folks think local news outlets might bite?

What exactly is your concern? The woman had passed through screening. Why does it matter what flight she is on?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Mary Hartman:

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...hicago-airport

Serial stowaway Marilyn Hartman caught loitering in Chicago airport

Marilyn Hartman, the serial stowaway who made headlines repeatedly attempting to sneak into Bay Area airports or on planes over the past year, has done it again -- this time in Chicago, police said.

[...]
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
People do board the wrong plane all the time. One of the reasons they make announcements of "this if flight XYZ to ABC" is so that anyone who has boarded the wrong plane can hopefully figure out they're in the wrong place. I've witnessed it a couple of times over the years, so with over 20,000 commercial flights in the US every day, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens on a daily basis.

As far as the OP, I don't see what the fuss is, unless she was sitting in your seat. Confused and clueless people are in abundance at airports.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

Why do you care? She had presumably been screened when entering the secured area. Zero threat to you or anyone around you.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Why do you care? She had presumably been screened when entering the secured area. Zero threat to you or anyone around you.
Do you know how she got into the secure area, because I don't know. Are people who are not screened properly sneaking into the secure area? If she is getting into the secure area, how is she doing it without a boarding pass?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Do you know how she got into the secure area, because I don't know. Are people who are not screened properly sneaking into the secure area? If she is getting into the secure area, how is she doing it without a boarding pass?
She could have had a gate pass, an actual boarding pass for another flight, or perhaps piggybacked through an employee access door. Lots of ways, and if we believe TSA all doors are screened adequately.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Sure it's possible she got through or around security somehow but much more likely she got on the wrong plane. My wife and I recently flew to Cabo from DFW. Struck up a conversation with a nice couple in line and boarded together when they called first class. They took the seats across the isle from us and we continued to chat off and on. Finally an FA made some announcement about the flight to Cabo and the couple asked did the flight go through Los Angeles. Turned out the LA flight was at the next gate at DFW and the couple had gotten in the wrong side by side line. Of course that raises the question why the airline software didn't go "tilt" when the gate agent scanned their boarding passes but they were in line right in front of us and I don't remember anything out of the ordinary. It happens.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 13, 2016 at 6:12 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
You guys that she was still in Cook County Jail. She was barred ORD, MDW, Greyhound and Amtrak, as well. She didn't escape from county jail. She still in jails, but you got wrong person. Are you looking someone else, but not serial stowaway.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
She is at again! She sneaks beyond at security and she got sneaks onto British Airways plane again without tickets.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.54c297aa9d60

Not again!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DHS should hire her for Red Team testing. She clearly knows how to defeat all layers of TSA security.
seawolf, kbennett and STBCypriot like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.