YVR and checkpoint friendly bags

Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

YVR and checkpoint friendly bags

I was told they don't recognize them up there. Huh?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: GE
In my experience, they don't allow them in Europe either. All laptops out.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
In my experience, they don't allow them in Europe either. All laptops out.
The whole point of the bag is to not block the x-ray image, what do they gain with requiring the laptops out??
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The whole point of the bag is to not block the x-ray image, what do they gain with requiring the laptops out??
I have asked at the checkpoint, so it's not an assumption on my part. The Euro rules say "laptops out" with no explicit exemption so I don't argue. This has been true for flights entirely within Europe, so it's not a USA-imposed requirement either.

Maybe it depends on the particular checkpoint/country.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Because most bags aren't x-ray friendly, and they want to avoid having to rescan bags just because people don't know what they're doing.

The whole "checkpoint friendly bags" thing is a TSA specific phenomenon. Security agencies in other countries have their own standards and do not care about what the TSA accepts (and some would argue that's for good reason).

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...bag-procedures
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by televisor
Because most bags aren't x-ray friendly, and they want to avoid having to rescan bags just because people don't know what they're doing.

The whole "checkpoint friendly bags" thing is a TSA specific phenomenon. Security agencies in other countries have their own standards and do not care about what the TSA accepts (and some would argue that's for good reason).

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...bag-procedures
In general I would agree that they shouldn't listen to the TSA. However, the checkpoint friendly bags do address the issue--for X-ray purposes the laptop is out. Mine at least says "checkpoint friendly" in the laptop side of it, there's no question what it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.