Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone carrying a "Tactical" Pen?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Anyone carrying a "Tactical" Pen?

A friend gave me a tactical pen as a gift, and I recently carried it on a long trip to the Middle East and back. I left it in my small backpack carry on, and wondered whether it would be spotted during security screening points along the way.

It went through screening at a number of places, including HNL, SFO, YYZ, DXB, FRA, and in Israel. The only place where it was noted was in Israel, and the security officer operating the xray merely asked me if it was a pen, and did not further inspect it.

Anyone else have experience traveling with a tactical pen?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might be illegal in some places, possibly including UK
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is a tactical pen anyway?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What is a tactical pen anyway?
According to Google:
A tactical pen is nothing more than a high-quality pen that provides all the same attributes as a purpose-designed "fist load" weapon like a Kubotan or yawara stick, but in the form of an ordinary-looking pen that can be carried virtually anywhere.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/01/tsa-week...-firearms.html

A tactical pen was discovered in Mobile (MOB).
They may or may not be allowed, depends on the screener. In this case, a tactical pen made TSA's weekly review.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
I've been carrying one for about a month. I only had one agent ask about it (at MHT), and he just asked if there was a "ballpoint pen in there". It did not trigger a bag check.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also depends on the exact pen, and what it features
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Yikes...these things can be used as weapons. Can't believe they are allowed on aircraft.

Of course, I see steel-tipped hiking poles allowed as carryons all the time, even though the TSA website specifically prohibits them.

Oh well.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Knitting needles are allowed and can be quite formidable.

Hollow aluminum tent poles with no points anywhere are prohibited because, unlike a laptop or a bowling ball (both allowed), tent poles could be used as a 'bludgeon'.

<redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 22, 2016 at 1:59 pm Reason: Policy debate, not Practical Trusted Travelers advice/information
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
All of the tactical pens I've seen are essentially kubotans with an ink catridge. Sometimes the sharp end of the kubotan is the back end of the pen and is covered, other times the sharp end is the end with the ink in it. Most that I've seen don't even look like pens, they just look like kubotans.

Essentially, a tactical pen is a thinly-disguised (oftentimes not disguised at all) kubotan, and kubotans are prohibited items, so tactical pens are likewise prohibited. But if you find a tactical pen that doesn't look like a tactical pen, i.e. a high-quality metal pen that's strong enough to use as a kubotan but looks like an ordinary (not tacti-cool) pen, then carrying it becomes much less risky.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
As a followup to WillCAD's post, I'd be cautious about taking that to the UK, since kubotans are illegal to carry there without "good reason." I don't know how this pen would be classified, but it might end up in that category.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
As a followup to WillCAD's post, I'd be cautious about taking that to the UK, since kubotans are illegal to carry there without "good reason." I don't know how this pen would be classified, but it might end up in that category.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
Th Tactical pen that I have is not a knife or cutting instruments.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
It's an offensive - in both senses of the word - weapon
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
A friend gave me a tactical pen as a gift, and I recently carried it on a long trip to the Middle East and back. I left it in my small backpack carry on, and wondered whether it would be spotted during security screening points along the way.

It went through screening at a number of places, including HNL, SFO, YYZ, DXB, FRA, and in Israel. The only place where it was noted was in Israel, and the security officer operating the xray merely asked me if it was a pen, and did not further inspect it.

Anyone else have experience traveling with a tactical pen?
Why would you take it with you? What did you expect to happen? (and why has your friend such weird taste in gifts?)

Don't even think about bringing it to the UK as it will be classed as an offensive weapon (which carries a maximum sentence of 4 years).
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Then what is it? Tough for folks to provide relevant commentary if it's not clear what you have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.