Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Documents needed for an infant on a domestic flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I'll be flying for the first time soon with my wife and 6 months old son.
I was wondering, for a domestic flight, what documents do I need to bring for my baby. I have a passport card we got for him. Is that enough, or should we also carry with us his Birth Certificate? If the latter, is a copy/scan of it enough? or should we carry an original one from the country clerk?

Thank,
Joe
Old May 27, 2016, 1:54 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jjoe123
Hello,

I'll be flying for the first time soon with my wife and 6 months old son.
I was wondering, for a domestic flight, what documents do I need to bring for my baby. I have a passport card we got for him. Is that enough, or should we also carry with us his Birth Certificate? If the latter, is a copy/scan of it enough? or should we carry an original one from the country clerk?

Thank,
Joe
No special documents are needed in general. For TSA "ID checker", one of the following will be needed:
  • A boarding pass with the infant's name on it if the infant has its own seat on the plane.
  • A boarding pass for the adult in whose arms the infant will be held if the infant does not have a separate seat on the plane.

And, based on my previous experiences, don't be surprised if the TSA person wants your infant to say its name in order to prove that you're not kidnapping the baby. OK, this is partly sarcastic, but TSA clerks often require children to say their names in order to prove no kidnapping is going on. I know, it's stupid and meaningless...but it's the TSA's people keeping us safe -- not.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks

I'd be surprised if the TSA person would manage to make my 6 months old baby say his name (and any meaningful word).

How can I proof (except maybe a birth certificate) that the infant is mine? I'm not too enthusiastic about carrying it with us for the entire trip...
Old May 27, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You don't need proof he's yours. Your child doesn't need ID or a birth certificate for domestic travel. If he were closer to the 2 year old age cutoff for lap children, you might need proof of age then (but only in case someone questioned his age - most likely if flying Southwest). If you feel it's necessary, bring the passport card, but you don't even need that.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your child does not need any documents to pass through the checkpoint.

Carriers reserve the right to require proof that he is <2 YOA (the cutoff for not requiring an assigned seat). WN is famous for requiring this of everybody, although it seems a little silly at 6 months (unless your kid is enormous).

Frankly, it does always make sense to carry some piece of ID should you ever be asked to it in connection with signing consent forms and the like for medical treatment while traveling. Since you have several such documents, why not simply carry one of them?
Old May 27, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Cool, thanks

I will take the passport ID for sure. But since it doesn't link to the parents I thought of taking the birth certificate. But I'm reluctant to do so, since I prefer not taking that out of my house for identity theft reasons.

From what I understand, that shouldn't be a problem, and the passport card should be enough.

Is that right?
Old May 27, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Just check with the airline. As mentioned, WN does state they require a birth certificate, although we have never been asked for it.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Care more about TSA than airline

I mean, I was wondering if TSA need the docs. Care less about the airline (that I can check with them)
Old May 27, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean, I was wondering if TSA need the docs. Care less about the airline (that I can check with them)
No, TSA doesn't need the docs. ID is not required by the TSA for children.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Out of curiosity

I was told that if one of the parents is flying with the child, they need to show a signed letter from the other parent.

But if 2 adults are flying with a child, no one cares if it is their child or not?
Old May 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told that if one of the parents is flying with the child, they need to show a signed letter from the other parent.

But if 2 adults are flying with a child, no one cares if it is their child or not?
That's only for international flights.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

I see

And how does it work for international travel then? (Will be traveling with him later this year) - Do we need anything (like Birth Certificate) in addition to passport? Or is passport just enough (though there is no link to the parents there)
Old May 27, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Urban myth.

As you are aware from having obtained your child's passport (presuming that it's a US passport), the application required the presence and signature of both parents or a notarized form from an absent parent or proof that there is a sole parent, e.g. one parent is dead, one parent custody and so on.

As with all international travel, not just with children, you are responsible for determining the document requirements for the countries you are visiting. This includes visas and the like. For minor children, it may include specific forms from a non-traveling parent. Similarly, what those countries require for medical treatment will vary. Thus, all important to research and have in order well before travel so no last minute glitches.

Most countries' foreign ministry (equivalent of our State Department) will have a foreign travel section and and a portion of that devoted to something usually labeled "Travel With Minor Children."
Old May 31, 2016, 12:23 pm

And how does it work for international travel then? (Will be traveling with him later this year) - Do we need anything (like Birth Certificate) in addition to passport? Or is passport just enough (though there is no link to the parents there)
From my personal experience, the airline checked our passports when checking in at the airport for our international flights. I brought a copy of his birth certificate and also had a signed letter by my husband giving me permission to travel out of the country - nobody asked for those.

For domestic flights, the airlines & TSA never asked for ID for my minor son.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Often1
Urban myth.

As you are aware from having obtained your child's passport (presuming that it's a US passport), the application required the presence and signature of both parents or a notarized form from an absent parent or proof that there is a sole parent, e.g. one parent is dead, one parent custody and so on.
That's the requirement for a passport, but it's also a good idea (albeit not a universally-followed legal requirement) for a parent transporting a child internationally to carry a letter from the other parent authorizing the trip. If the airline staff have any concerns, they could prevent you from boarding the plane, and CBP would (in general) back them up.

Bottom line, it's unlikely you'll be asked for the letter, but much better to have it and not need it, than the other way around.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ot-a-parent-or

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.