Denied entry into the U.S

Old May 15, 2016, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Denied entry into the U.S

For reference I am a 26 year old female, who has never been arrested and the most trouble I've been in with the law are a couple of speeding tickets.
In February I left Canada to meet a girlfriend and go backpacking in Central America.
My flight went through Toronto where I went through U.S customs, ending up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida where i would meet my friend and then together board another flight to Nicaragua.

When going through U.S customs in Toronto I got detained and questioned by the customs officer.

Basically way back in 2012 when I was young and dumb, i met someone online and went to visit him in the states. He paid for my ticket, and I paid him back for half when I got there. Yes he was older then me. That is a personal preference. I've always been a bit of an 'old soul' and don't like guys my own age.
Obviously I know why the customs officer flagged this as 'suspicious' but the issue I had was I left there with my backpack being thrown at me and booted out the door because he accused me of being a prostitue, repeatedly asked me how much money I was paid to go there and wouldn't let me through unless I could supply 3-4 months of pay stubs from my job. (Not something I usually carry with me when I'm going backpacking for 6 weeks.)

Yes he had every right to deny me entry because I could not provide the required documentation however I left there feeling dirty, degraded, and absolutely horrible about myself.
I feel completely sick and am terrified to go through customs again because of the way I was treated, and I had to spend $1,200 booking a next day flight to Nicaragua that did not go through the U.S.

What I want to know is, can I make a complaint about the way I was treated, and send proof of employment to 'clear my name' before I travel through the states again or do I just have to risk it and hope for a better outcome next time? I don't want to pay for another flight only to find out I'm being turned away again, because quite honestly I can't afford that.

This whole experience has made me never want to travel through the states again, but most cheap flights go through there so I can either go through that nerve wracking process again or pay double or triple for flights from Canada direct to my next destination.

So basically I'm just looking for some guidance.. Can I complain? Will that just put an even bigger red flag next to my name? Does this mean I can't ever enter the states? I am a duel passport holder (I have an EU passport) if I try and go through the states on that passport is it going to look suspicious?
Would I be able to apply for a nexus card now that I've been denied entry and would that help for future visits to the states?

I had been to the states several times before this incident, but always driving across the border not flying. Why was it not an issue when I drove?
Old May 16, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingStella
For reference I am a 26 year old female, who has never been arrested and the most trouble I've been in with the law are a couple of speeding tickets.
In February I left Canada to meet a girlfriend and go backpacking in Central America.
My flight went through Toronto where I went through U.S customs, ending up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida where i would meet my friend and then together board another flight to Nicaragua.

When going through U.S customs in Toronto I got detained and questioned by the customs officer.

Basically way back in 2012 when I was young and dumb, i met someone online and went to visit him in the states. He paid for my ticket, and I paid him back for half when I got there. Yes he was older then me. That is a personal preference. I've always been a bit of an 'old soul' and don't like guys my own age.
Obviously I know why the customs officer flagged this as 'suspicious' but the issue I had was I left there with my backpack being thrown at me and booted out the door because he accused me of being a prostitue, repeatedly asked me how much money I was paid to go there and wouldn't let me through unless I could supply 3-4 months of pay stubs from my job. (Not something I usually carry with me when I'm going backpacking for 6 weeks.)

Yes he had every right to deny me entry because I could not provide the required documentation however I left there feeling dirty, degraded, and absolutely horrible about myself.
I feel completely sick and am terrified to go through customs again because of the way I was treated, and I had to spend $1,200 booking a next day flight to Nicaragua that did not go through the U.S.

What I want to know is, can I make a complaint about the way I was treated, and send proof of employment to 'clear my name' before I travel through the states again or do I just have to risk it and hope for a better outcome next time? I don't want to pay for another flight only to find out I'm being turned away again, because quite honestly I can't afford that.

This whole experience has made me never want to travel through the states again, but most cheap flights go through there so I can either go through that nerve wracking process again or pay double or triple for flights from Canada direct to my next destination.

So basically I'm just looking for some guidance.. Can I complain? Will that just put an even bigger red flag next to my name? Does this mean I can't ever enter the states? I am a duel passport holder (I have an EU passport) if I try and go through the states on that passport is it going to look suspicious?
Would I be able to apply for a nexus card now that I've been denied entry and would that help for future visits to the states?

I had been to the states several times before this incident, but always driving across the border not flying. Why was it not an issue when I drove?
https://help.cbp.gov/app/forms/complaint
Old May 16, 2016, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
So, I feel as if part of the story is missing. What happened on your 2012 visit? Were you denied entry into the US?
Old May 20, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
How did the customs officer know that in 2012 you were visiting an older guy who paid for your ticket? Did you go through secondary inspection on that visit and admit that?

Is you friend in Fort Lauderdale a man, and if so, had you ever met him or the 2012 guy in real life before the visit? I think when women are traveling to meet men that they only know online, this may create suspicion with CBP officers.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:59 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

You can definitely file a complaint. It probably won't result in much, but it may make you feel better. If you come back again with the proper documentation, I don't think you will have any problem. You can also apply for a visa in advance, which gives you the right to appeal to an immigration judge if you are denied entry. And yes, I believe you can apply for Nexus.

If it helps any, you're not alone here. This kind of treatment is not unusual from CBP, and happens to US citizens as well.
Old May 20, 2016, 5:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cbn42
If it helps any, you're not alone here. This kind of treatment is not unusual from CBP, and happens to US citizens as well.
It's illegal for CBP to deny entry into the US to recognized US citizens -- even if the US citizen has a noted history of online "dating"/dating much older persons supplying them with flight tickets.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's illegal for CBP to deny entry into the US to recognized US citizens -- even if the US citizen has a noted history of online "dating"/dating much older persons supplying them with flight tickets.
I was referring to the overall treatment. US citizens cannot be denied entry, but they can be mistreated in other ways.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
So, I feel as if part of the story is missing. What happened on your 2012 visit? Were you denied entry into the US?
This question is like being asked to judge the quality of artwork on the Sistine Chapel ceiling by looking at Adam's fingernail.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
And yes, I believe you can apply for Nexus.
My understanding is a refusal, even if there was no attempt to violate immigration law or deception, makes a traveler permanently ineligible for NEXUS. Not certain but the OP should also check with CBP and determine whether she needs to apply for a visa in advance for any future travel.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by kmflinkle
My understanding is a refusal, even if there was no attempt to violate immigration law or deception, makes a traveler permanently ineligible for NEXUS. Not certain but the OP should also check with CBP and determine whether she needs to apply for a visa in advance for any future travel.
Even with visa you can still get denied entry into the US.
Old May 29, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
So true. I was years ago told by the swedish embassy that even if family members had visa it was all up to the immigration "agent". That I do think is wrong /weird.
Old May 29, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
That is technically true, but it's much less likely to be denied entry with a visa than an ESTA. Also, if you have a visa and are denied entry, you have the right to appeal to an immigration judge.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies.

when I visited in 2012 I didn't have any issue going through customs and the topic was never brought up, nor was it the two or three times since 2012 that I have driven across the border.
The friend I was meeting in Florida was a female and Canadian, we were just meet there to board a plane to Central America together because we were coming from different parts of Canada.

I want to get this cleared up so I can travel through the US, without trouble. I have horrible anxiety when I fly which can cause panic attacks, and I'm sure I came off as nervous, panicky or trying to hide something because of it, and I'm sure it'll be as bad if not worse next time.

Looking at the paperwork I received, it looks like it was a 'application for admission withdrawn'
Under section 212 (a)(7)(A)(I)(I)

Intending Immigrant [INA 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I)] – This is the most common ground of inadmissibility applied under INA 212(a)(7). Any foreign national who seeks to enter the U.S. and remain here permanently, or who is suspected of seeking to enter the U.S. and remain here permanently, but who does not have the proper documents to demonstrate that s/he has authorization to do so, is inadmissible.

I assume this is because I had a one way flight to Fort Lauderdale booked, then a one way flight from FL to Central America, and could not prove my place of employment without my pay stubs.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
Should I apply for a visa? Am I now ineligible for nexus?
From what I've read online it all seems very.. Inconsistent.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The one-way ticket was the main issue. You frequently need to show proof that you're going to return to Canada. A one-way ticket doesn't do that.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for your floo up FlyingStella. I don't know why you are mentioning the 2012 visit to an older man who paid for half of your ticket, or why you think this was a red flag to the customs officer. Did the 2012 visit come up at all in your discussion with the customs officer this time?

How did he accuse you of being a prostitute? That seems odd to me. I don't think 26 year old Canadian women typically travel to Costa Rica to work as prostitutes. What specifically did he say to accuse you of being a prostitute? What did you tell him that you do for a living?

It sounds like he was concerned that you couldn't pay for this vacation and that someone else was actually paying and/or that you weren't really going to Costa Rica, you were planning to leave the airport in For Lauderdale and stay in the US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.