Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied entry into the U.S

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I'm sure some will find exceptions to prove the rule.
It's not a rule at all. Have you heard of otherwise law-abiding and non-suspicious people getting permanent secondary inspection because they refused to answer questions?

Believe it or not, CBP is smart enough not to waste its time with permanently attempting to interrogate those who don't answer questions.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Have you heard of otherwise law-abiding and non-suspicious people getting permanent secondary inspection because they refused to answer questions?
Yes.

<deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 12, 2016 at 4:34 am Reason: Non-contributive
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm sure some will find exceptions to prove the rule. But when being perceived to be uncooperative, one should manage expectations accordingly, and prepare for the highest common denominator of scrutiny.
When it comes to not answering questions beyond that on the declaration form, avoiding permanent referral to secondary is not a matter of "exceptions to prove the rule". Rather, permanent referral to secondary would be the exception rather than the common outcome.

Some "otherwise law-abiding and non-suspicious people" get permanent secondary inspection because they answered questions. That happens sometimes too, perhaps even way more often than for not having a willingness to discuss more than what was listed on the printed declaration form.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When it comes to not answering questions beyond that on the declaration form, avoiding permanent referral to secondary is not a matter of "exceptions to prove the rule". Rather, permanent referral to secondary would be the exception rather than the common outcome.

Some "otherwise law-abiding and non-suspicious people" get permanent secondary inspection because they answered questions. That happens sometimes too, perhaps even way more often than for not having a willingness to discuss more than what was listed on the printed declaration form.

Not necessarily avoiding anything, But managing expectation's that's covers all possible scenarios regardless of perceived frequency. There's many ways to get a permanent referral. One of them is not answering questions.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not necessarily avoiding anything, But managing expectation's that's covers all possible scenarios regardless of perceived frequency. There's many ways to get a permanent referral. One of them is not answering questions.
Frequency matters in practical terms. There aren't that many ways to get permanently referred to secondary at US ports of entry, but a recognized US citizen's refusal to answer questions beyond that on a printed declaration form isn't generally a direct route to permanent referral to secondary. Most frequently, it isn't.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't know that there is such a thing as a permanent referral to secondary inspection.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I don't know that there is such a thing as a permanent referral to secondary inspection.
I agree. The primary officer at passport or customs control handles admissibility and makes the decision whether to refer to secondary, I do not think the electronic system would ever mandate automatic secondary.

That said, the primary officer has access to a lot of information, including automatically determined risk assessments, which they are not going to simply ignore. An officer can see past noncompliance (if it was noted) and decide you're not their job to deal with. And they have to keep the line moving...
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:39 am

I think there may be alerts dictating that certain people be sent to secondary, but I don't think they are ever permanent or lifelong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.