Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

temporary export of goods from US for trade show

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry

Last year I traveled from the US to Chile to exhibit at a trade show. I brought a pop-up back drop and some plastic models of our equipment with us. I had a document indicating value and that these are not our actual for sale products and Chile had no issue letting them in.

On return to the US, customs pulled me into secondary and while the items weren't an issue, the document indicated the items had too high a value and thus needed to be registered prior to leaving the US. After the light scolding, the officer let me go and that was the end of it.

I have another show coming up in the near future in Colombia and I want to do this right as to avoid the issues of last time but cannot seem to find what documents I need and how to do it. The only thing I can find is permanent export (Schedule B) or personal effects taken abroad (CBP 4457).

If you have any other advice, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old May 12, 2016, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As you live in NYC, I'm presuming that you are flying xJFK or EWR. If so, it is easy to have CBP stamp your form before departure from the US. Tons of people do this, either with items of value they intend to reimport or items they actually purchased overseas at one time, imported, paid duty and now wish to take overseas again (think expensive cameras). Just stick the form in with your passport and, if you need it, there it is.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
As you live in NYC, I'm presuming that you are flying xJFK or EWR. If so, it is easy to have CBP stamp your form before departure from the US. Tons of people do this, either with items of value they intend to reimport or items they actually purchased overseas at one time, imported, paid duty and now wish to take overseas again (think expensive cameras). Just stick the form in with your passport and, if you need it, there it is.
So in this case, I'll be flying on a 5am flight out of LGA, so day of departure stamp will not be possible. Could I take the goods to a CBP officer a day, or few days before? In a broader question, the items will be collected in Ohio a week prior. Could I have a CBP officer in Ohio stamp it?
Old May 12, 2016, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danohio
So in this case, I'll be flying on a 5am flight out of LGA, so day of departure stamp will not be possible. Could I take the goods to a CBP officer a day, or few days before? In a broader question, the items will be collected in Ohio a week prior. Could I have a CBP officer in Ohio stamp it?
I think you need to go to a place that handles international traffic in order to find an appropriate person.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:28 am

Assuming the other countries' customs authorities don't give you any trouble, the (free) 4457 is definitely the way to go here. You could put the equipment on a carnet if you also have trouble with other countries' customs, but those cost a fair bit of money.

CBP can issue a 4457 at any location, but call ahead to make sure they'll have someone available--the desk at a lot of airports keeps weird hours. Land borders should have someone in the office during business-ish hours (often 0800-2000, but check first).

The 4457 is a "permanent" document--as long as you're moving the same stuff into the US each time, just hang onto your 4457. You can get it done a year in advance if you're so inclined, and you can keep using it indefinitely.
Old May 13, 2016, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Assuming the other countries' customs authorities don't give you any trouble, the (free) 4457 is definitely the way to go here. You could put the equipment on a carnet if you also have trouble with other countries' customs, but those cost a fair bit of money.

CBP can issue a 4457 at any location, but call ahead to make sure they'll have someone available--the desk at a lot of airports keeps weird hours. Land borders should have someone in the office during business-ish hours (often 0800-2000, but check first).

The 4457 is a "permanent" document--as long as you're moving the same stuff into the US each time, just hang onto your 4457. You can get it done a year in advance if you're so inclined, and you can keep using it indefinitely.
Great. There is a "Port" in an office building nearby that keeps 9-5 type hours, so I'll get them done there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.