Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Horrible deportation after secondary inspection

Horrible deportation after secondary inspection

Old May 11, 2016, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Jewelry and bra to me suggests a concern about suicide, assuming that she had no belt. I guess someone could hang themselves with a bra or metal necklace.
Originally Posted by tanja
A bra is a weapon? A weapon towards what? I never heard sutch a lame/stupid thing.
If it's an underwire bra, the metal underwire can be used as weapon. I remember reading about a woman who used the metal wire from her bra to slit her wrists.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TWA884
If it's an underwire bra, the metal underwire can be used as weapon. I remember reading about a woman who used the metal wire from her bra to slit her wrists.
If she slit her own wrists, that sounds like a suicide attempt rather than trying to use the underwire as a weapon.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A bra is a weapon? A weapon towards what? I never heard sutch a lame/stupid thing.
Garotte.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
recently the CBP has been catching drug mules coming into the US from/via Japan -- but those are mostly non-Japanese drug miles.
For example, from today's Flyertalk: http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/3m...rs-at-ord.html
Old May 12, 2016, 12:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Garotte.
Underpants and pants can be used for much the same function. Require full-body nudity all the time? Not commonly in the US when it comes to situations such as that of the OP's acquaintance.

Even a sock can be made to have a dual-use, as a weapon component. No more socks, too? Not commonly either.

Often enough when US VWP users are being sent back as part of a "voluntary removal" from the US and end up in a holding/waiting facility of some sort for a flight within 24 hours, do underpants and pants get removed? I don't recall that being the norm.

But concerns about dual-use items for attack purposes is indeed the excuse used for demanding removal of some items when it comes to some such situations in the US.

It certainly helps to be informed about what CBP may do, and often enough does, to passengers traveling to/via the US. That includes being aware of the kind of situation mentioned by the OP in this thread and what happens in some such situations. Being informed in advance about what has transpired and sometimes does transpire in such situations is a practical necessity, more so for some kind of passengers than for other kinds of passengers.

Originally Posted by muji
For example, from today's Flyertalk: http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/3m...rs-at-ord.html
Indeed, those travelers coming into the US via Japan were non-Japanese citizens and subject to a customs-related bust more than an immigration status related bust. [That is an example involving ethnic Hmongs, an ethnic group that was re-settled into the US (particularly into MN & WI) in rather large numbers after having been CIA-backed during the US involvement in the Vietnam War theater area and has had a substantial involvement in the drug-dealing gang world in the Upper Midwest? Not Japanese citizens; more likely US citizens.]

Last edited by GUWonder; May 12, 2016 at 1:47 am
Old May 12, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
This really isn't a US-only situation. I have a friend who spent hours detained in a Heathrow holding room because of visa issues before being voluntarily removed, and he said it wasn't a very pleasant experience, either.
My daughter was going to London on business and was detained on suspicion that she was taking someone's job. She was filling in for a co-worker who was unable to complete a 3 day seminar as a trainer. Ironically, that person was also not from the UK. She was cleared for entry after about 6 hours in what she refers to as "Airport Jail".
Old May 12, 2016, 1:41 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
To answer your question, no DHS trip will not help.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Underpants and pants can be used for much the same function. Require full-body nudity all the time? Not commonly in the US when it comes to situations such as that of the OP's acquaintance.

Even a sock can be made to have a dual-use, as a weapon component. No more socks, too? Not commonly either.

Often enough when US VWP users are being sent back as part of a "voluntary removal" from the US and end up in a holding/waiting facility of some sort for a flight within 24 hours, do underpants and pants get removed? I don't recall that being the norm.

But concerns about dual-use items for attack purposes is indeed the excuse used for demanding removal of some items when it comes to some such situations in the US.

It certainly helps to be informed about what CBP may do, and often enough does, to passengers traveling to/via the US. That includes being aware of the kind of situation mentioned by the OP in this thread and what happens in some such situations. Being informed in advance about what has transpired and sometimes does transpire in such situations is a practical necessity, more so for some kind of passengers than for other kinds of passengers.

Indeed, those travelers coming into the US via Japan were non-Japanese citizens and subject to a customs-related bust more than an immigration status related bust. [That is an example involving ethnic Hmongs, an ethnic group that was re-settled into the US (particularly into MN & WI) in rather large numbers after having been CIA-backed during the US involvement in the Vietnam War theater area and has had a substantial involvement in the drug-dealing gang world in the Upper Midwest? Not Japanese citizens; more likely US citizens.]
Some of the media reported that the three were USA citizens.

Can citizenship be revoked for major felonies or particular crimes?
Old May 12, 2016, 2:31 pm

Revoking citizenship only works (if a country actually allows it - not all do) when they hold another nationality.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
This is not a "horrible deportation". She was refused entry according to the rules of the VWP program and the opinion of the CBP officer. The numbers are not huge, but people go through this every day, and usually there are fairly good reasons. But the OP is getting the story from one side and then we hear it from the OP, so who knows what actually transpired there. Most likely CBP had suspicions that she was coming to the US to study illegally, to work illegally (i.e. in a hair salon) or intended to marry and adjust status with an American citizen.

When I first came to the United States as a visitor from Europe with some frequency I got grilled a few times as well, and I can see how the process can be intimidating, especially to someone who doesn't speak English very well. But that doesn't mean that she is not to blame.

As for the questions from the OP, DHS has nothing to do with this. She is now no longer eligible to travel to the United States under the VWP program, and must apply for either a B1/B2 visa (for visits) or F-1 visa (to study) for the rest of her life, unless the ESTA/VWP rules change. At this point, unless something drastically changes in her situation, she has a very slim chance to get either visa with the recent refusal to enter the United States.
Old May 12, 2016, 3:42 pm
Suspended

US citizenship cannot be revoked as punishment, with one exception noted below. And even if it could, the USG cannot legally make our citizens stateless.

Determinations of US citizenship acquisition by those who got naturalized as US citizens can be re-examined to de-recognize US citizenship of a person who made certain kinds of false representations in the process of becoming a US immigrant and/or US national/citizen.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 12, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Old May 12, 2016, 3:42 pm

From what I gather a repeat visit soon after the first one can be a red flag and depending on the situation could be a reason for denial. Not saying that was the case here but could have played a part along with other factors.

A friend of a friend of mine visited the US more than once without much time in-between- he just had time on his hands and liked visiting and exploring. After the third or forth time he was admitted but with a warning that he may get denied admission on a future visit to soon.

I was at LAX some years ago and heard an officer questioning a traveler for a while. He was eventually let in after a lengthy conversation and I then overheard her telling another officer that the guy had visited the US 12 times in the last year and she was getting suspicious.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:51 pm

Clearly you guys are a bunch of men who has never been poked by the wire in a bra!

Those effers will draw blood. It's very sharp.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CBear
Clearly you guys are a bunch of men who has never been poked by the wire in a bra!

Those effers will draw blood. It's very sharp.
I can guarantee you that there are some people posting in this thread whose passports have the sex field listed down as F. I am also certain that plenty of men are aware of bras, bra underwire and being poked by such when there is a break.

American F arriving for the first time alone to meet online-only boyfriend in the UK works out sort of like Asian F arriving alone for the first time to meet online-only boyfriend. But that doesn't apply in the situation of the Japanese citizen mentioned in the OP.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
depends. Maybe she was packing two 38's or even 45's.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.