Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Atlanta Airport South Checkpoint to close for 3 weeks.

Old May 4, 2016, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Atlanta Airport South Checkpoint will be closed for 3 weeks.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I hope this new design works better and is implemented more smoothly than the changes at MSP.

They mention new technology - wonder what that's going to be.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Anybody been through ATL this week to see what the impact has been to the main and North checkpoints, as well as Pre lanes for each?

I'm hearing anecdotal stuff on Facebook of longer than usual waits, but can't tell how severe.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL people seem to be reporting that PreCheck is fast, as it usually is at ATL. Apparently the change doesn't affect any PreCheck lanes.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL people seem to be reporting that PreCheck is fast, as it usually is at ATL. Apparently the change doesn't affect any PreCheck lanes.
Yep, I went through yesterday and Pre was actually a bit faster than normal (even for a Tuesday).

OT: Flying back from IAD, however, was a disaster. The guy running the x-ray machine was in an intense conversation with his colleague about the new Marvel movie. He stopped the belt and turned around to talk every 5-10 seconds. 8 people in front of me in line and it took over 10 minutes (seriously, I timed it) to get from doc check to WTMD...
Old May 16, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Pre-Check was fine last night. Regular lines were a disaster (90-120 minutes). I went through pre-check but my travel companion would have missed his flight. I persuaded him to take the airtrain to RCC and then shuttle to International. He made his flight with about 30 seconds to spare.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chollie
I hope this new design works better and is implemented more smoothly than the changes at MSP.

They mention new technology - wonder what that's going to be.
They're putting in bag scanners with the automated baggage bins like you see at some foreign airports. It's a trial to see if it speeds things up.

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/05/...ed-processing/
Old May 18, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I have never understood why the automated bins were never installed along with the new advanced x-ray machines years ago like in some airports overseas. Glad to see they are testing this out.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
I've been going through these automated bin lines for the last few weeks in ATL Pre line and I dont get it? It takes longer, there are people there telling everyone when to push the bin onto the belt, confusion! This automated system sucks!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
It's been in place at other airports, also. I've done it at EWR and not a fan, although it does relieve the whole "no bins b/c the TSA guy hasn't brought more back yet" issue.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Just went through again tonight
With a 10 min wait to put items in bin and get through. Whoever thought this was a good idea must seriously be on drugs.
Oh and the TSA agents are ever so helpful😡
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It's been in place at other airports, also. I've done it at EWR and not a fan, although it does relieve the whole "no bins b/c the TSA guy hasn't brought more back yet" issue.
It should enable TSA to hire fewer employees or to use more employees to actually help screen passengers rather than having someone standing around waiting until some stacks of bins need to be moved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.