Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opting out while holding baby

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Opting out while holding baby

If my wife is holding my 22 month old child while going through airport security, will she automatically bypass the full body scanner and go through an old fashioned metal detector with our child?

I have Pre-check and she's planning on "opting out" of the full body scan, but she said she might get shunted off to the metal detector if she has the kid. Trying to figure out the fastest way to get through security at SFO tomorrow.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:02 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Yes, she will in all likelihood be directed to the metal detector.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rakers
If my wife is holding my 22 month old child while going through airport security, will she automatically bypass the full body scanner and go through an old fashioned metal detector with our child?

I have Pre-check and she's planning on "opting out" of the full body scan, but she said she might get shunted off to the metal detector if she has the kid. Trying to figure out the fastest way to get through security at SFO tomorrow.
Yes; she is to bypass the strip search machine and be directed to the WT metal detector if she is with the very young child by herself. More so (due to the interplay of a possible haraSSSSment hit and screening of young children and their older companion) if there is no stroller/child restraint device/other travel party member to hold the child while the accompanying adult is being screened.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:33 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes; she is to bypass the strip search machine and be directed to the WT metal detector if she is with the very young child by herself. More so (due to the interplay of a possible haraSSSSment hit and screening of young children and their older companion) if there is no stroller/child restraint device/other travel party member to hold the child while the accompanying adult is being screened.
When traveling with young children and adults, my practice is to split the family members into pairs -- one adult and one young child. Each pair goes through security separately -- I space the pairs about 5 minutes apart. This way, there is no second adult to "watch" the young child so that the adult can be forced into the scanner, and you're assured (as much as anyone can have assurance with the "TSA people") of being sent through the WTMD.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KDS
When traveling with young children and adults, my practice is to split the family members into pairs -- one adult and one young child. Each pair goes through security separately -- I space the pairs about 5 minutes apart. This way, there is no second adult to "watch" the young child so that the adult can be forced into the scanner, and you're assured (as much as anyone can have assurance with the "TSA people") of being sent through the WTMD.
That's a good practice indeed to avoid the strip search machines.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I don't think this strategy, while good to avoid the scanner, will work to speed your spouse & child through security. They'll still have to wait in line and a TSO may do a swabbing of your spouses hands/the baby's clothes. The chance of full pat down is low, but I have observed people with a child being swabbed more often recently.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I don't think this strategy, while good to avoid the scanner, will work to speed your spouse & child through security. They'll still have to wait in line and a TSO may do a swabbing of your spouses hands/the baby's clothes. The chance of full pat down is low, but I have observed people with a child being swabbed more often recently.
The swabbing is most frequently not taking place for such travel parties, with the major exception being a subset of situations where the accompanying adult is claiming or otherwise utilizing a liquid/gel/aerosol exemption.

An intelligent travel split up approach by the OP is more likely to speed things up than most of the other alternatives, with the primary exception being the situation where the whole travel party can use PreCheck by way of it showing up on the boarding passes of all the travel party members over the age of 12/13 years.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

She lucked out at SFO - TSA moved her and our 2yo to the priority lane and then through metal detector.

On return they had to wait in line but also got metal detector.

Thanks for all the input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.