Wiki Posts
Search

can i take a flask in my checked bags on AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa
can i take a flask in my checked bags on AA

Taking a cruise from another city... so flying w AA. I have those suntan lotion flasks from amazon http://amzn.com/B00IJ63K86
which I must say totally work on a cruise.

I know I can put bottles in my checked bag but I do not want to go through hassle of filling these and packing them into luggage after landing.,.

if I seal them well and use ziplocs and stuff- will I have problems if they are in checked luggage... anyone know

sorry for dumb question lol
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

As long as the liquids are not hazardous, they're fine in checked bags. I'm not sure I understand why you're asking about suntan lotion or alcohol, but you can check gallons of the stuff in your checked bags without any problems from AA or TSA. Alcohol is fine as long as it's not above 140 proof.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
You won't have a problem unless you try to carry them on. Even then, it's TSA who you'd have the problem with, not AA.

I don't want to be judgy, but is it really worth it to bring 16oz of booze onto a cruise illegitimately?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Welcome to Flyertalk.

As long as the liquids are not hazardous, they're fine in checked bags. I'm not sure I understand why you're asking about suntan lotion, but you can check gallons of the stuff in your checked bags without any problems from AA or TSA.
I think you misunderstand. The flasks look like suntan lotion bottles, but are intended to hide liquor.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
... you can check gallons of the stuff in your checked bags without any problems from AA or TSA. Alcohol is fine as long as it's not above 140 proof.
Not too many gallons: there's a limit on the hard stuff.

Between 24 and 70 percent, however, the FAA limits passengers to 5 liters.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Welcome to Flyertalk new flyer needs help!!! ^

As this is a TSA and not an AA issue, I'll move to the Travel Safety & Security forum.
Since I also moderate there, if the thread evolves into more AA, I can move it back.

Thanks!

aztimm
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by josmul123
You won't have a problem unless you try to carry them on. Even then, it's TSA who you'd have the problem with, not AA.

I don't want to be judgy, but is it really worth it to bring 16oz of booze onto a cruise illegitimately?
just 16oz? No. But depending upon drinking habits and how many are being served you can save HUNDREDS of dollars bringing your own booze aboard. While cruise lines are generally quite happy to make arrangements to bring your own wine they are decidedly against letting a passenger bring their own booze.

As noted in another post there is a maximum limit that may be placed in checked baggage per passenger.

For TSA purposes having a bunch of sunscreen bottles in checked bags should go through no problems. However, if they decide to screen and detect the alcohol, they might decide to determine whether the quantity exceeds allowances - that could be a problem.

A strategy I have found that works quite well is to purchase at a local liquor store after arrival in the port city on the way to the port. Take a few minutes to fill the bottles and distribute them throughout all your luggage that is being carried and checked aboard the cruise ship. Then you wont have any limits to worry about.

Fair winds!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Totally, absolutely empty, fine. With booze, expect TSA to find and take them.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Section 107
While cruise lines are generally quite happy to make arrangements to bring your own wine they are decidedly against letting a passenger bring their own booze.
While most cruise lines will allow wine, but not hard alcohol, to be brought on board the "quite happy to make arrangements" on at least most Carnival Corporation lines like Holland America means charging you an $18 per bottle corkage fee for every bottle above one free bottle per adult passenger at initial boarding. I believe NCL and Royal Caribbean have the same or similar fees. Still may be a better deal than the 200% to 400%+ markup from the shoreside price for the same wine but no bargain either.

Now if you cruise on an all-inclusive luxury line like Seabourn or Silversea they could basically care less about what you bring on the ship in terms of alcohol. The more you bring on the less they have provide so it's to their benefit.

Last edited by Randyk47; Apr 21, 2016 at 5:50 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Totally, absolutely empty, fine. With booze, expect TSA to find and take them.
Why? I carried on 3x100 ml bottles of Glenmorangie in Tampa last year. The TSA asked me to open the bag and when the agent examined the bottles he said they were acceptable because they were under the limit. The OP wants to check her containers so it shouldn't be an issue.

It's the cruise company guards that will cause a problem if the OP is caught. Among the many loathsome aspects of major market cruises is having to smuggle booze like some teenybopper going to the high school sock hop with flask of lemon gin hidden under her skirt.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It's the cruise company guards that will cause a problem if the OP is caught. Among the many loathsome aspects of major market cruises is having to smuggle booze like some teenybopper going to the high school sock hop with flask of lemon gin hidden under her skirt.
Technically they could deny boarding to a passenger trying to smuggle liquor on a cruise but other than a few rumors or second/third hand stories I have no personal knowledge that has ever happened. Personally it wouldn't be worth the risk to me to be the first denied just so the cruise line could prove their point or enforce their policy. Our decision to move away from mass market to smaller luxury lines wasn't driven by the wine/alcohol policies it's nice not to be treated like a potential "criminal".
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
As often as you fly, you should be used to being assumed guilty.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Why? I carried on 3x100 ml bottles of Glenmorangie in Tampa last year. The TSA asked me to open the bag and when the agent examined the bottles he said they were acceptable because they were under the limit. The OP wants to check her containers so it shouldn't be an issue.

yes, but this thread is about quantities and containers considerably larger than 100ml.

TSA will let you carry as many 100ml bottles as you can fit in a Kippie-bag through the checkpoint. The flight attendants are not supposed to let you drink them, though.....
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I misread--I thought this was for carry-on. Checked, fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.