Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice: US Citizen Accompanying EU Citizen significant other to USA on VWP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice: US Citizen Accompanying EU Citizen significant other to USA on VWP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I am a dual citizen of the USA and Italy, residing in Italy. During the past year, I have met the love of my life in Italy and we plan to wed in September (in Italy).

Before our wedding, I would like to accompany her on a 3-month holiday in the USA (April-July) to introduce her to my family, friends, and some of my favorite natural parks. She will travel on the visa waiver program; we have already obtained electronic ESTA clearance. I am curious about how to handle the situation of immigration control at the point of entry (it will be Newark, New Jersey if this is relevant).

Principally, my questions are the following:

*As my girlfriend speaks limited English, I have had concerns about a potential misunderstanding between her and border control and am curious if it would be better to proceed through the checkpoint together or separately. If we go together, I could assist as interpreter and provide additional information to corroborate our plans and living situation. If we go together, should we go through the US Citizens line or the foreign visitors line?

*We have every intention of being honest and upfront about the purposes of our visit with the officers. However, I have read in some places that the presence of a fiancée may make officers suspicious that we are trying to immigrate illegally. Of course we want to leave on our return ticket to return to Italy to continue work and to get married. So, should we volunteer information that we are engaged to be wed? I suppose we could even take copies of wedding invitations or the reservation of our reception hall in Italy as proof that our wedding will occur outside the US. Will this be helpful? Or simply "too much information" that will make officers unnecessarily suspicious?

*What are your suggestions of useful things to take as evidence of our travel intentions through border control? I have thought of the following: return tickets to Italy, contractual and business materials relating to work in Italy, photocopies/originals of both of our Italian residency cards showing shared address in Italy. Any other suggestions?

*Lastly, we are "backpacker-style" travelers, in the sense that we typically organize fun and adventurous trips on a small budget, which we can realize by staying with friends for most of our time on the trip. We also pack light to make this travel style practical: we are planning on taking just one backpack with us each. Unfortunately, I have also heard that sometimes officers can view such travelers suspiciously, as risks to seeking resettlement or work illegally. Are there any concerns to be aware of in this respect? Is there anything we can do to prepare ourselves?

Perhaps my questions will strike you as overly concerned. I hope they are! Nevertheless, I feel somewhat vulnerable being in the situation of booking and paying for many aspects of the trip in advance, especially one with a purpose as important as introducing my life partner to my dearest fellow Americans, while being at the whim of an officer who can deny my girlfriend entry or leave us with a traumatic experience if s/he is so inclined.

Many many thanks to anyone who takes the time and attention to read this and share his or her insight.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
A few thoughts based on how I typically enter through customs/immigration here, and in other countries.

First and foremost, don't lie. Obfuscate, lead the officer in a different line of questioning, fine, but don't respond with anything untruthful. It seems clear you know that and are looking to just a void any hassle and complicating situation which would be time consuming to clear up if your paths cross with an officer of the "wrong" mentality.

Secondly, remember you're not doing anything wrong, illegally or otherwise. Keeping that in the back of your mind helps you avoid the temptation to lie in order to just get through it all. Which can get you in more trouble than it's worth, given that you're already...not doing anything wrong.

Now, if this is me, I get in separate lines. You'll have no problem on your end, being the citizen. "I've been living abroad, no I didn't join ISIS, yadda yadda yadda," and through.

She'll be in the other line where I encourage her to be as limited in her answers as possible. Make it clear to the officer her English skills aren't great (officer probably won't want to fight through that unless he has a real suspicion of something nefarious), and have her emphasize she's here on vacation. She'll probably be asked if she's travelling alone, which I would have her respond something along the lines of "no no, but they're a US citizen, they used the other line and already went through." Using the gender non-specific "they" might avoid raising the officer's suspicion that it's a boyfriend and he might gloss right past it. She can then tell him what exciting fun/adventures she has planned, show him her return flight if he's got some other suspicions and she'll likely be on her way. Maybe also have her take off her engagement ring, if there is one, on the really rare case it draws a question.

If it does go down the "oh you're with your fiancee?" route, that's where I'd have enough documentation ready to quickly show that she intends to return. Job info, wedding invitations, etc, and all with confident answers. If needed have her ask if they can come get you, either from your line or the baggage area (down the escalator post immigration at EWR. They may ask "why didn't you go through together," but the easy answer is that "this line said for US citizens, which I am and she is not, and the other for non-US, which she is and I am not." You're a rule follower, after all.

Long story short, all should end well, but that's how I'd personally play it to minimize hassle at every step. I travel a fair amount around the world on two passports and generally like to say as little as possible and not divulge anything more than I have to, both the minimize hold ups/searches and just to get through as fast as possible.

I hope that all makes some sense and helps.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you go through the line together, the CBP officers will yell at you and tell you that you shouldn't have done that.

If you don't go through the line together, the CBP officers will yell at you and tell you that you should have.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by jphripjah
If you go through the line together, the CBP officers will yell at you and tell you that you shouldn't have done that.

If you don't go through the line together, the CBP officers will yell at you and tell you that you should have.
^ So very, very true...
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I have lots of relatives in these kind of situations frequently at US POEs, and it's never worked out for my family in the way you suggest. Rather, here's what my extended family's experience is: processed anyway and given various suggestions on what should have been done and should be done next time. No shouting, no obnoxious behavior other than the ordinary coldness/unfriendliness experienced otherwise when the travel party consists of just US citizens.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
You are a US Citizen. You should go through the US Citizen line. She is not a US Citizen, she should go through the non US Citizen line.

She should tell the truth that she is here with a friend for a visit and sightseeing. She should answer all questions truthfully but not volunteer anything that is not asked. She should have her proof of return documentation handy in case asked. Since you are not doing anything illegal there should be no issues.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by woodway
You are a US Citizen. You should go through the US Citizen line. She is not a US Citizen, she should go through the non US Citizen line.

She should tell the truth that she is here with a friend for a visit and sightseeing. She should answer all questions truthfully but not volunteer anything that is not asked. She should have her proof of return documentation handy in case asked. Since you are not doing anything illegal there should be no issues.
Actually this is a bit wrong.
It does depend on the airport and the immigration officers.
I have a resident card and my (now x husband) is a USA citizent.
We stood in line for residents (me) and him (us born) line.
A lot of times immigration got angry cause I was legal and we were married.
Once the resident line would not "give up" me to the US citizent line who wanted me with my husband.
Plus family is only suppose to have 1 custom paper. They "fighting" over that also. So nothing is guaranteed.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by woodway
She should tell the truth that she is here with a friend for a visit and sightseeing.
She;'s not visiting with a friend, she's visiting with her fiance. She wouldn't introduce him as "my friend" in any other context. If she says "visiting with my friend" and they ask her some routine questions and she says "Actually, um, he's my fiance" she will appear to be dishonest and this will invite further scrutiny.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:12 pm

I will also mention this: she shouldn't carry anything in her luggage that suggests she is going to move to the US or get married in the US or work in the US.

Like she shouldn't carry a wedding dress, copies of her CV, business suits, stripper clothes, her family photo albums, winter clothes if she's visiting in July, family heirlooms and all her jewelry, etc. The nature and amount of her luggage should be consistent with that of a typical vacationer.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:20 pm

This lady does not speak english. So how can she get her self hear then???
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I will also mention this: she shouldn't carry anything in her luggage that suggests she is going to move to the US or get married in the US or work in the US.

Like she shouldn't carry a wedding dress, copies of her CV, business suits, stripper clothes, her family photo albums, winter clothes if she's visiting in July, family heirlooms and all her jewelry, etc. The nature and amount of her luggage should be consistent with that of a typical vacationer.
They are both citizen of Italy, they live together in Italy, they work in Italy, they plan on returning to Italy and they intend to get married in Italy.
Originally Posted by redrubberball
Hello everyone,

I am a dual citizen of the USA and Italy, residing in Italy. During the past year, I have met the love of my life in Italy and we plan to wed in September (in Italy).

<snip>

*What are your suggestions of useful things to take as evidence of our travel intentions through border control? I have thought of the following: return tickets to Italy, contractual and business materials relating to work in Italy, photocopies/originals of both of our Italian residency cards showing shared address in Italy.

<snip>
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:15 pm

Yes, they live in Italy now. The question the CBP officers may be interested in is whether she is coming to the US to get married, work, or live. That's why she shouldn't have any of the aforementioned stuff in her luggage, even if her intentions are innocent,as the presence of such items in her luggage could be misconstrued.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Non US citizen staying for three months. The address she lists on her landimg card is that of a private residence instead of a hotel.

This will end badly.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mre5765
Non US citizen staying for three months. The address she lists on her landimg card is that of a private residence instead of a hotel.

This will end badly.
For three months to the US, staying in a hotel rather than a private residence would ring more flags.

I know lots of people from VWP countries who have gone to the US for 2-3 months while on parental leave from work. Most of them are staying in (and listing) private residences when doing such long trips. Some of these people are in relationships with US citizens. It's not ended badly -- at least not for those with whom I've shared a meal or a drink.

With employment abroad and primary residence owned abroad in the country of employment, it shouldn't be a problem -- and it generally isn't.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is way too much overthinking going on here. Go through immigration together, explain the situation. You have return tickets and proof of residency in Italy. You are a US citizen and your fiancé is a citizen of a VWP country coming to the US for a visit/holiday. It's not rocket science. Don't overcomplicate or overexplain the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.