Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice: US Citizen Accompanying EU Citizen significant other to USA on VWP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice: US Citizen Accompanying EU Citizen significant other to USA on VWP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:20 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I think the real question is just how 'limited' her English is. If she is able to understand all the above posts and not say something silly to the immigration officer that would result in (at best) a secondary interview, then she might as well go through herself.

If her English is actually rather poor, then it would be better for you to go through together, so you can do the talking.

Having stayed with a group of young Italians for a year, I can say that their English skills at the start varied markedly from excellent to not more than a few words.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Apologies if I've missed this, but...are you going to an airport terminal with APC kiosks? If so, you'll stay together anyway.

I (UK citizen) travelled with a US citizen into the US last year. We both queued for the APC kiosks, used the same one, and only then got split up as she had an X and I didn't. If we needed to stay together, I doubt it would've been a problem for me to head down the X line with her. Being related, plus language barriers, would be very compelling reasons too.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Skatering
Apologies if I've missed this, but...are you going to an airport terminal with APC kiosks? If so, you'll stay together anyway.
You can't use the APC kiosks on your first visit with ESTA and they are not yet a family.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
I think the real question is just how 'limited' her English is. If she is able to understand all the above posts and not say something silly to the immigration officer that would result in (at best) a secondary interview, then she might as well go through herself.

If her English is actually rather poor, then it would be better for you to go through together, so you can do the talking.

Having stayed with a group of young Italians for a year, I can say that their English skills at the start varied markedly from excellent to not more than a few words.
The following happen before I married (divorced now) my then US boyfriend. Came to lax together from Sweden with my youngest son 3 years old. I went to the visitors line. He carried my sleeping son there. Said "see you later" and off he went to US citizent line.
guess what. I was stopped and interwied why I knew an american man who carried my child.I was let go after a 1 hour since I could prove that I flew back and fourth a lot and never over stayed.THey ( a lot of times ) does not like US citizents to travel with non citizents partners. Sad but true.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You can't use the APC kiosks on your first visit with ESTA and they are not yet a family.
It's not a requirement to be married, a family or even co-habitants for CBP to consider two people to be considered one party for customs declaration purposes. For example, some people have been busted for failing to declare more than US$10,000 on entry to or exit from the US because the members of a travel party have in total more than US$10,000 divided amongst them.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's not a requirement to be married, a family or even co-habitants for CBP to consider two people to be considered one party for customs declaration purposes. For example, some people have been busted for failing to declare more than US$10,000 on entry to or exit from the US because the members of a travel party have in total more than US$10,000 divided amongst them.
According to the CBP web site you must co-habit, you need not be married or of different sexes but you must be in a "committed relationship" or a dependent: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-c...s-declarations
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MADPhil
According to the CBP web site you must co-habit, you need not be married or of different sexes but you must be in a "committed relationship" or a dependent: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-c...s-declarations
That is indeed how it should go.

And yet in practice they've sometimes taken the money and made people go without their money for some time or more. Welcome to practice vs preach.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:21 pm

How does the last above even work if A US born lives abroad with non US partner coming to USA for a visit?
Sounds like problems to me.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
For three months to the US, staying in a hotel rather than a private residence would ring more flags.

I know lots of people from VWP countries who have gone to the US for 2-3 months while on parental leave from work. Most of them are staying in (and listing) private residences when doing such long trips. Some of these people are in relationships with US citizens. It's not ended badly -- at least not for those with whom I've shared a meal or a drink.

With employment abroad and primary residence owned abroad in the country of employment, it shouldn't be a problem -- and it generally isn't.
And do these people you know shack up with a US citizen in the US?

People come to the US to travel for months and aren't required to list their entire itin and with hotel reservations for each night. The address of the first stay is fine.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tanja
How does the last above even work if A US born lives abroad with non US partner coming to USA for a visit?
Sounds like problems to me.
What part of it sounds like a problem?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
That is indeed how it should go.

And yet in practice they've sometimes taken the money and made people go without their money for some time or more. Welcome to practice vs preach.
So declare the money. It's easy. Download the form. Fill it out. Hand it to the CBP officer. Get sent to secondary. The CBP won't like it, but they won't do anything other than intimidate.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by mre5765
And do these people you know shack up with a US citizen in the US?

People come to the US to travel for months and aren't required to list their entire itin and with hotel reservations for each night. The address of the first stay is fine.
But: be aware that you might have to file an AR-11 every time you change address - whether or not that applies to you depends on your specific circumstances:

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mre5765
So declare the money. It's easy. Download the form. Fill it out. Hand it to the CBP officer. Get sent to secondary. The CBP won't like it, but they won't do anything other than intimidate.
Some people don't consider other people's money to be their money; and so when an individual is carrying $6000 and declares no to the question about carrying more than $10,000, all while the other individual in the same travel party is carrying $8000 and declares no to the same question for the same reason as the other individual, they both may make an innocent mistake in a regime where ignorance of the law and a lack of will to violate the law doesn't necessarily spare the individuals trouble from CBP over the matter.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What part of it sounds like a problem?
It was more a comment to madphil. A non resident cant enter go through immigration with a US spouse. Two different lines. So how can they then have 1 customs paper?Families are adviced to have only one form. Kind of hard if you cant go through together. Believe me I have been in that position. It ended with 1 form. But a lot of discussions among customs agents.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe we're saying the same thing, but it would be most unusual for a non-resident to have a US spouse (citizenship completely aside)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.