Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Singapore fingerprinting visitors (status updates?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore fingerprinting visitors (status updates?)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Latest experience :

Arrival Changi Terminal 3 - 20 May 2016 - no fingerprints taken
Arrival Changi - 21 May 2016 - fingerprints taken (reported by wilp888)
Departure Woodland Causeway - 23 May - fingerprints taken
Arrival Woodland Causeway - 23 May - fingerprints taken
Arrival Changi Terminal 3 - 23 May - fingerprints taken (reported by iluv2fly)
Departure Changi Terminal 3 - 25 May - no fingerprints taken

Originally Posted by wilp888
The fingerprinting is really slowing down the process. Arrived 1am last Saturday morning from HKG and took over 30 minutes to get through immigration. Hope they get up to speed soon.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Another note: Upon arriving at SIN, they are now taking your thumbprints when going through immigration. They also take them when you are leaving. This is new and it does slow down the process.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by green17
I've made travel plans on the basis of whether particular countries required fingerprints before, and I expect I'll do it again in the future. So my question is really about whether I ought to change my imminent plans.
I'm just curious - why would anyone not want to be fingerprinted? Assuming, of course, you are a legal visitor (and not trying to sidestep some immigration law such as multiple citizenship etc), with no prior conviction and do not intend to be committing a crime in said country?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
I'm just curious - why would anyone not want to be fingerprinted? Assuming, of course, you are a legal visitor (and not trying to sidestep some immigration law such as multiple citizenship etc), with no prior conviction and do not intend to be committing a crime in said country?
Simple - privacy.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

Please observe the guidelines in this forum's sticky thread:
Please Read: Important Information

Originally Posted by scoow
Welcome to Travel Safety/Security’s Practical Issues forum. This is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely and with minimal hassle.

<snip>

Before posting, ask yourself, “If I were traveling today, is this something I need to know?” For example, threads discussing what is permitted through a TSA checkpoint belong in this forum. If it is a debate... it belongs in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

<snip>
We're straying off topic which is whether Singapore is fingerprinting visitors.

If you wish to debate privacy concerns, please do that in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
5/28/16 arrival into SIN - no fingerprint
6/1/16 departure from SIN - fingerprint

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.