Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Going to a wedding in Vegas but looking to tour while there. What to tell CBP?

Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

Simple question but something that's been on my mind.

I have a family member who's getting married in Vegas on the 14th of February. I'm attending the wedding, but since it's not everyday that I visit Vegas I decided to stay there for the whole week since its a holiday at college anyway. Looking to do the touristy stuff like gamble, shows, spend some time with the families getting married, etc.

With this being said, if the CBP ask me the reason for my visit do I state its for a wedding? And if they ask me why I'm staying there beyond that one day (a week) give them the blurb above? Or should I just say the reason of my visit is to do the touristy stuff period (I'm visiting solo though)?

Everything else is fine. I.e. I have ties to Canada (college), the finances to support me, a booked hotel, a return ticket, etc.

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:22 pm

The truth is just fine. Family wedding and sightseeing.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I agree. I'd just say you are attending a wedding and then staying a few extra days since you don't often get to Las Vegas (or arriving early, as the case may be).
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
The truth is just fine. Family wedding and sightseeing.
I have lots of colleagues from overseas who attend meetings and conferences here in the U.S. They often bring their families during good weather and take several weeks vacation just being touristas. I'm happy they think enough of us to spend their money and leave time here in the U.S..
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Wedding is a fine explanation for a week's stay. And if they really start probing, tell the truth: you're sightseeing after the wedding since you're already there. Should not be a problem at all.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's wrong with wedding and sightseeing while you're there?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What's wrong with wedding and sightseeing while you're there?
Nothing. Succinct and truthful.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:01 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
At all of the family weddings I've been to, everyone has stayed for at least 5 days. A wedding is the only time my family members get together, and they don't happen that often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.