Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Somali plane blast-tighter laptop security coming?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Somali plane blast-tighter laptop security coming?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What you are saying has been the way things have been done all along but evidence keeps piling up that demonstrates insiders are as much, or more, of a threat as passengers. Why kill yourself if you can blow up a plane without doing so?
The only people above reproach are the TSOs who have had a background check and are on the honor system to self-report any nastiness they're involved in after that.

What more do you want? Evidence that groups of TSOs have been involved in smuggling drugs, smuggling weapons, and targeting male pax for sexual molestation?

TSA's response would be "yeah, OK, but they're only a tiny part of the work force and besides, they only lied, smuggled, stole and molested - they didn't engage in terroristic acts like pax and airport workers".
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
[QUOTE=chollie;26152949]No one has explained to me why it is impossible to have a device like a laptop constructed so that it is both an explosive device and can appear to power up normally.QUOTE]

It's not. I once saw a training film where they showed us how a Barbasol shaving cream can could secretly keep embryos frozen while still dispensing shaving cream.

Laptop like that that would be a piece of cake or easy as pie. Mmmm, must be getting to be lunch time!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Section 107;26153126]
Originally Posted by chollie
No one has explained to me why it is impossible to have a device like a laptop constructed so that it is both an explosive device and can appear to power up normally.QUOTE]

It's not. I once saw a training film where they showed us how a Barbasol shaving cream can could secretly keep embryos frozen while still dispensing shaving cream.

Laptop like that that would be a piece of cake or easy as pie. Mmmm, must be getting to be lunch time!
I'm still visualizing the Barbasol can - and wondering why?

Yes, it's lunch time.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one has explained to me why it is impossible to have a device like a laptop constructed so that it is both an explosive device and can appear to power up normally.

The camera thing annoyed me - I was still using film and he wasted two of my shots.

Seems to me that there was some kind of brief fuss (maybe centered in the UK?) a few months ago about pax being randomly required to prove devices like cellphones and laptops could be powered up at the checkpoint. I don't know what happened with that - as you might expect, some travelers do show up at checkpoints with dead cellphone or laptop batteries....
The laptop would be easy. Replace the main battery with a small battery, mounted internally that would allow a few minutes of run time. Use the main battery case as the container for plastic explosive. ETD might give it away but not sure it wouldn't pass on an x-ray.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Section 107;26153126]
No one has explained to me why it is impossible to have a device like a laptop constructed so that it is both an explosive device and can appear to power up normally.QUOTE]

Wondering about the black market for frozen embryos.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The laptop would be easy. Replace the main battery with a small battery, mounted internally that would allow a few minutes of run time. Use the main battery case as the container for plastic explosive. ETD might give it away but not sure it wouldn't pass on an x-ray.
Why bother with that? There's no TSA control for landslide to airside for airport workers so just carry a fake computer (or explosive container of choice) through the back of baggage claim and get it either on an aircraft or slip it to a boarding passenger willing to give his/her all for whatever cause.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Why bother with that? There's no TSA control for landslide to airside for airport workers so just carry a fake computer (or explosive container of choice) through the back of baggage claim and get it either on an aircraft or slip it to a boarding passenger willing to give his/her all for whatever cause.
Your so right and our highly trained, professional security experts at TSA refuse to address this glaring security hole.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:29 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I am sure the TSA will find a way to make things harder on all of us without actually improving security. All laptops out, all laptops must be powered up, etc. If they're really feeling noisome, we'll probably get 100% ETD swabs of laptops.

Originally Posted by Section 107

You sure that wasn't a clip from Jurassic Park?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

I think we are supposed to believe/hope that real threats (not nutters just chancing it, like Reid and Abdullah and the recent Somali), are all going to be handled by another agency's intel before TSA ever gets involved.

TSA and the airlines must also do a patriot test on new hires. A true patriot might take advantage of his position to smuggle drugs and guns and money and to steal and grope innocent people, but he would never ever smuggle something that could jeopardize aviation safety.

I don't know about the rest of you, but TSA is the first outfit I've ever heard of where a background check means you are completely on the honor system and free of suspicion. I've had much higher clearances, and IME, in a well-run organization (not Snowden's), no one is ever above suspicion or immune to unannounced audits and checks.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one has explained to me why it is impossible to have a device like a laptop constructed so that it is both an explosive device and can appear to power up normally.

The camera thing annoyed me - I was still using film and he wasted two of my shots.

Seems to me that there was some kind of brief fuss (maybe centered in the UK?) a few months ago about pax being randomly required to prove devices like cellphones and laptops could be powered up at the checkpoint. I don't know what happened with that - as you might expect, some travelers do show up at checkpoints with dead cellphone or laptop batteries....
You certainly could build a bomb into a working machine but I don't think it won't be powerful enough to bring down a plane.

My machine has three drive bays--and no TSA guy would suspect anything if two of them were empty. However, that's only half a cubic inch, not enough to do much with.

There's probably more space to be had against the motherboard (I haven't had mine apart to know how much that might be) and it won't be exposed by a power-up test. It's pretty thin, though, and when you spread explosives out like that you give up some of the destructive ability.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't even need a suicide bomber.

Build your fake bomb to look like a common model of laptop. Wait around for someone at a gate with a laptop like it who is careless about their bags soon before the plane boards. Swap machines.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

Build your fake bomb to look like a common model of laptop. Wait around for someone at a gate with a laptop like it who is careless about their bags soon before the plane boards. Swap machines.
You'd have to be pretty good to pull that off and not get spotted by an eagle-eyed Spotnik.

Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

You'd have to be pretty good to pull that off and not get spotted by an eagle-eyed Spotnik.

I think the point is that there are a number of ways a potential threat could be gotten on an aircraft without ever going through a TSA security passenger checkpoint. Not to dwell on it but it is an amazingly porous environment.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by exerda
You sure that wasn't a clip from Jurassic Park?
what!?!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the point is that there are a number of ways a potential threat could be gotten on an aircraft without ever going through a TSA security passenger checkpoint. Not to dwell on it but it is an amazingly porous environment.

The porous airport security environment is something that we should all dwell on, a lot!

TSA either knows of this security weakness and is negligent in their responsibilities to travelers or TSA is truly incompetent if the security weakness is not known.

Screening of airport workers, including TSA employees, is something that travelers should demand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.