Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage tag check after claim

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Las Vegas did this for years. I have no problem with this sort of check and would expect the person you encountered to act as they did when confronted by someone like you who refused to provide bag tags. They would expect someone who is stealing checked bags off the belt to act as you did and refuse to cooperate and bluff their way by them.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
OP, do you also act indignant when the valet parking attendant asks for your claim stub? Perhaps you would prefer valet parking where you just pick your own keys off the rack and go grab any car you want? If so, please let me know where you valet next.

Likening this to the police barricading your home makes no sense. The airlines have every right to check for your claim stub, that's why they give them to you. I imagine the only reason they don't is because what they pay for small stings and the amount of stolen bags costs less than staffing a full-time position to check claim stubs. They are, after all, a corporation, and out to make a profit. Not a government organization.

I would assume they decided there was a higher financial risk to the airline (via stolen luggage claims) at this time and location, so they assigned someone to check claim stubs.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Many airports did this for years. Next time bring a carry-on bag - problem solved.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
When I started traveling I recall this being standard operating procedure... I would personally welcome this type of check as I have had several bags go MIA and not to Miami

That said I wish the bag tags could showup on boarding passes OR the app as the littlw buggers tend to hide when needed
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kauppias
When I started traveling I recall this being standard operating procedure... I would personally welcome this type of check as I have had several bags go MIA and not to Miami
Well, bags have been going MIA at MIA as well.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"That said I wish the bag tags could showup on boarding passes OR the app as the littlw buggers tend to hide when needed"

Why not just peel the claim check and stick it to the back of your boarding pass? @:-)
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"That said I wish the bag tags could showup on boarding passes OR the app as the littlw buggers tend to hide when needed"

Why not just peel the claim check and stick it to the back of your boarding pass? @:-)
That is what most agents do when I check a bag
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by LMB01
That is what most agents do when I check a bag
Lately they have been just handing me the printout on that slip. I usually put them on the back of the BP, and shove the BP down in my bag if I am using mobile, which I usually am.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alphaod
I was getting off my flight yesterday at SFO and I guess for the Super Bowl they decided to fence off the arrivals baggage claim and asked everyone for their baggage tag claim ticket. I outright refused since I didn't know where I put it and I proceeded to continue. Then the lady proceeded to block me with her body. I did not wish to run her over, so I stopped and she ripped the tags off my bag, asked for my ID and threatened that she was going to call the police.

I told her to call the police, which I guess caught her off guard, so then she claimed I assaulted her. Her supervisor stepped in and we talked it over; he was much more reasonable and I did not really want to escalate the situation further, so I relented, looked through my bags to look for my claim tags (which I found after a lot of searching).

I did not have a connection and I was on my way out of the airport.

Did I have the right to refuse this check?

(Just FYI, I always refuse to be checked unless it's required me by law or it's like a membership store like Costco, etc.)
If you were at Costco for the first time and they asked for your receipt, would you have refused out of principle and tried to walk away?

In my opinion the employee made a reasonable request, and one that they were legitimately entitled to make (and frankly one I wish they would start doing again). The fact that they rarely do it might have surprised you but didn't make it any less legit. While I don't agree with their response (to accuse you of assault) frankly I think your actions led to a strong response.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by hbtr
If you were at Costco for the first time and they asked for your receipt, would you have refused out of principle and tried to walk away?

In my opinion the employee made a reasonable request, and one that they were legitimately entitled to make (and frankly one I wish they would start doing again). The fact that they rarely do it might have surprised you but didn't make it any less legit. While I don't agree with their response (to accuse you of assault) frankly I think your actions led to a strong response.
Costco is a completely different situation, as are the valet / dry cleaner / etc. claim checks mentioned above. I believe at Costco as part of your membership agreement you agree to allow the receipt checker to make their line on your receipt. At any other store I will absolutely not show a receipt checker what I have bought. Once I have completed the purchase the item is mine and I have no further obligations to the store. Their loss prevention is not my responsibility. Similarly, with a valet claim or dry cleaning claim I am providing that to the individual working there so that they will deliver my property to me. In collecting baggage I generally do not need, or desire the assistance of anyone else.

I agree the baggage claim person was legitimately entitled to make the request. Is there any documentation in the contract of carriage or the bag check receipt that legally binds the person to show the baggage claim? If not then the OP is just as legitimately entitled to ignore the request. If I had my stub handy and someone requested it I probably would show it just to avoid a hassle, however if it's going to cause a delay I would not. I deal with security theater prior to my flight, I don't have any interest in doing so after as well.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Wow. Talk about a recipe for massive luggage theft. Crazy.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IggySD
Costco is a completely different situation, as are the valet / dry cleaner / etc. claim checks mentioned above. I believe at Costco as part of your membership agreement you agree to allow the receipt checker to make their line on your receipt. At any other store I will absolutely not show a receipt checker what I have bought. Once I have completed the purchase the item is mine and I have no further obligations to the store. Their loss prevention is not my responsibility. Similarly, with a valet claim or dry cleaning claim I am providing that to the individual working there so that they will deliver my property to me. In collecting baggage I generally do not need, or desire the assistance of anyone else.

I agree the baggage claim person was legitimately entitled to make the request. Is there any documentation in the contract of carriage or the bag check receipt that legally binds the person to show the baggage claim? If not then the OP is just as legitimately entitled to ignore the request. If I had my stub handy and someone requested it I probably would show it just to avoid a hassle, however if it's going to cause a delay I would not. I deal with security theater prior to my flight, I don't have any interest in doing so after as well.
So yes, this is in fact part of Costco's membership rules. But the right to request a claim check also appears to be in AA's Conditions of Carriage:

"Checked baggage may be claimed only by the holder of the baggage claim check. Baggage will not be released unless all sums due American are paid. Baggage claim checks must be returned to American on request. American is not responsible to determine that the holder of the claim check is entitled to the baggage. If baggage claim checks are lost, proof of ownership may be required prior to release of the baggage."
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Wow. Talk about a recipe for massive luggage theft. Crazy.
Is it though? Considering how rare it is for someone to actually request the claim check I don't think there is an epidemic of bags being stolen. Seems like we hear much more about theft by airline employees while the bag is in their custody as opposed to bags disappearing from baggage claim.

Originally Posted by hbtr
So yes, this is in fact part of Costco's membership rules. But the right to request a claim check also appears to be in AA's Conditions of Carriage:

"Checked baggage may be claimed only by the holder of the baggage claim check. Baggage will not be released unless all sums due American are paid. Baggage claim checks must be returned to American on request. American is not responsible to determine that the holder of the claim check is entitled to the baggage. If baggage claim checks are lost, proof of ownership may be required prior to release of the baggage."
Good to know!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IggySD
Is it though? Considering how rare it is for someone to actually request the claim check I don't think there is an epidemic of bags being stolen. Seems like we hear much more about theft by airline employees while the bag is in their custody as opposed to bags disappearing from baggage claim.
If word got out that anyone could simply walk away with luggage and refuse to provide a claim check? Of course.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: WFBF
If someone unknown to you approaches you and begins asking you about your baggage, trying to gain access to your baggage, refusing to let you proceed until you give them access to your baggage, do exactly what the voice on the public-announcement system tells you to do: refuse, and notify airport police immediately.

What if this was a bag thief impersonating a baggage checker? Or even some nefarious person trying to plant something in your bag during their "check" of it? One simply cannot be too cautious when it comes to securing our vital transportation infrastructure, and the people deriding you for your attempt to do the right thing obviously don't understand security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.