Search

Passport Card w/ Valid Passport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Passport Card w/ Valid Passport?

Hi All,

My Drivers license is issued by a state that is not REAL ID compliant... As I have no idea how all that is going to play out I figured its probably worth it to just go a head and get a Passport Card. My question is... My Passport is valid for several more years and I don't really want to have to Pay to Get a new Passport...

So... Is it possible to get a Passport Card without also renewing my passport?

FWIW I can got to a passport office without any problem.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:24 pm

Assuming you were at least 16 when your passport book was issued, you can get a passport card by mail by filling out the same DS-82 as for a renewal. You have to send your passport book in with the form, but it'll be returned. The passport card will be valid for 10 years from the issue date--it's not linked to the passport book.

Originally Posted by U.S. Dept of State on page 2 of DS-82
You are also eligible to use this form if you currently have a U.S. passport book and/or card that complies with the previously listed criteria, and would like to obtain a alternative product (U.S. passport book and/or card) for the first time. However, you must submit the product you currently have (U.S. passport book and/or card) with this application.
If you're eligible, you could also sign up for Global Entry, which gives you PreCheck and a USG-issued ID card. It costs more ($100/5yr vs $30/10yr) though.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Jan 26, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Assuming you were at least 16 when your passport book was issued, you can get a passport card by mail by filling out the same DS-82 as for a renewal. You have to send your passport book in with the form, but it'll be returned. The passport card will be valid for 10 years from the issue date--it's not linked to the passport book.

If you're eligible, you could also sign up for Global Entry, which gives you PreCheck and a USG-issued ID card. It costs more ($100/5yr vs $30/10yr) though.

Great! That's what I thought but the wording was slightly confusing. I do have Global entry... I thought about using my GE ID card but I've heard some TSA agents and Check-in personnel giving flyers trouble about presenting the GE card... That I don't want to carry my passport with me more than I have to
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Great! That's what I thought but the wording was slightly confusing. I do have Global entry... I thought about using my GE ID card but I've heard some TSA agents and Check-in personnel giving flyers trouble about presenting the GE card... That I don't want to carry my passport with me more than I have to
When the GE cards were new, there were definitely cases of TSA trying to deny them, but I haven't had a problem in at least two years, hundred flights or more, using my GE card every time.

Unless you want one of the other features of a passport card (i.e. land border crossings), get GE - much better bang for the buck.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:29 pm

If you already have GE and intend to renew it, the passport card is a neat-looking card but doesn't give you any benefit. (For folks without GE, it does give access to the 'ready lane' at busy land borders)

My experience has been similar to cestmoi123's--I had a NEXUS card questioned a couple times by TSA far from the border around 2009 but since then have had no issues.

For now you're good either way since REAL ID requirements for air travel won't take effect until 2018 at the very earliest. I like to use my GE card at TSA because it doesn't have my address on it.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
GE card is fine. Hold your ground if you get an uneducated clerk.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timfountain
GE card is fine. Hold your ground if you get an uneducated clerk.
That sounds good to me! The GE card IS noted on the TSA website as being acceptable..
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have both GE and passport card. I think it's a good idea to have several forms of official ID (and I'm from a state where driver's licenses are not real ID compliant).

If you want to get the passport card without being without your passport for a couple weeks, go to a passport office.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I'm wonder... is my APEC card valid ID considering it's issued by the CBP...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by alphaod
I'm wonder... is my APEC card valid ID considering it's issued by the CBP...
You could certainly try. It probably qualifies as a "Border crossing card" from the ID list. I wouldn't be surprised if the ID checker pushes back, as they've probably never seen one.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I wouldn't worry too much about your driver's license not being accepted. DHS will almost certainly keep issuing waivers to all the states that don't/won't have Real ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.