Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Wife Renewing US Passport - Asked to supply additional documentation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many

So my wife mailed in a renewal form, photo, fees, current passport, all as normal has she has done in the past.

Today she gets back a letter saying she needs to fill out a Supplemental Questionnaire to Establish Identity, and also submit at least five (5) forms of ID bearing her name and either her photo or signature.

Has this ever happened to any of you before? I'm wondering it it was done in error or by some random selection process?

We have her two prior passports and can supply additional forms of ID, but this has never happened before and she is frustrated to say the least.

Any insights appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Five forms of ID beyond the passport seems like more than most people would have unless they count credit cards because of the signature. Still, who want to send copies of credit cards as well as all of the other information to some government clerk?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

To clarify, they arent asking necessarily for currently valid IDs, they listed the various forms they would accept, like expired passports, marriage certificate, etc.

I would have thought the existing valid passport she mailed in with the renewal should be enough, it always has been in the past for her, for me, and anyone that I know.

Puzzling...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:36 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
This is very odd. If the same were asked of me, I would have a problem providing more than 3 IDs that meet those requirements.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Seems she's popped up on their radar for some sort of identity fraud.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Seems she's popped up on their radar for some sort of identity fraud.
My thought, also.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that this is random. It could be identity fraud, travel patterns, the possibility that she entered the country on a ticket or with a Customs Declaration with a misspelling or is on one watch list or another.

All she can do is submit the materials and hope that this is the end of it.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by unagi1
To clarify, they arent asking necessarily for currently valid IDs, they listed the various forms they would accept, like expired passports, marriage certificate, etc.

I would have thought the existing valid passport she mailed in with the renewal should be enough, it always has been in the past for her, for me, and anyone that I know.

Puzzling...
Probably either she is suspected of not being the identified US citizen she claims to be with all the correct biographical elements, or perhaps she or someone else has been flagged for trying to use her identity to acquire documents of one sort or another or that could possibly facilitate or be an example of criminal fraud of some sort related to identity documentation.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

So...we have sent in the following. We'll see what happens.

The autobiographical form they wanted (family info, last 3 jobs, last 5 addresses, etc)
Last two (2) US passports
Birth certificate
Social Security Card
University diploma
Drivers license
Expired Singapore identity card (she was born in the US, but lived in Singapore until late teens)
Marriage certificate
Some insurance papers
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE:

Well, her new passport finally arrived last Saturday.

Still waiting however, on her old passport, which importantly contains her 10-year Chinese visa.

They did enclose a little flyer that indicates it would be returned in a separate mailing, but hasn't turned up yet.

Many thanks to all of you who replied and provided input.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPDATE:

Still waiting however, on her old passport, which importantly contains her 10-year Chinese visa.

They did enclose a little flyer that indicates it would be returned in a separate mailing, but hasn't turned up yet.

Last time we renewed the old one showed up several days later. We are replacing ours now (the website is estimating we will get them next week), like you I really want the old ones back because of 10 year Chinese visas.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
No worry, it will show up a few days later.

UPDATE:

Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
UPDATE:

Was this the new version of the passport with the polycarbonate I'd page or still the old style?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.