Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do shoes set off metal detectors?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In some Asian countries, the metal shank is widely viewed as a sign of high qualify expensive shoes. As a result, to save face, some businessmen will put a few coins in their shoes so that the metal detector goes off when traveling with a boss, subordinates, or colleagues.
Never knew this one. Sounds like something in some "understanding the culture" book that is not true in real life.

The simple reason the metal detector goes off is that there is metal in your shoes! Wear some Nikes next time and it won't go off.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
My oldest pair (MacNeil, still going strong) was bought in 1992 (in a shop below First Canadian Place, incidentally). Since then I've probably acquired a library of 25+, worn in rotation. Best shoes. Period.
Wow. I only wear the Fifth Avenues (small ankle, so Last 5 is great). My oldest pair is from 2008 when I first discovered them.

I'm in love with them. 3 dark brown, 1 light brown (a mistake, since it's closer to freaking orange) and 1 black.

Best clothing decision of my life!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
If things are backed up and you put your shoes through the X-ray and scurry you can sometimes see them on the screen as they go through the belt. Darned if my shoes don't have the orange shank.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
My wife had a pair of shoes we thought didn't have a lick of metal in them. Very simple slip-on shoes. She specifically chose them to wear to an MRI for this reason. Afterwards I was handing her the shoes and I felt the magnet pulling at them--gently, but there was no doubt metal in there.
I can't believe they let her wear ANY shoes in an MRI. Not your wife's mistake, but certainly the mistake of the tech. Generally they won't even let you wear the simplest of house slippers, but they'll give you hospital disposable socks for the test.

Flying was what taught me that Danskos (the old ones, made by Sanita) and of course Sanitas have a metal shank in them. I certainly wouldn't call them poorly made - my Sanitas are bulletproof.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Never knew this one. Sounds like something in some "understanding the culture" book that is not true in real life.

The simple reason the metal detector goes off is that there is metal in your shoes! Wear some Nikes next time and it won't go off.
It's not my problem, but just an observation that some people in some parts of the world might be proud to have metal in their shoes and want the metal detector to sound.

BTW I would never wear Nikes to travel.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"What do you mean, my steel-toed boots set of the metal detector?"

I've seen TSA employees and their foreign near-equivalents say that the footwear set off the alarm even when metal in the footwear was highly unlikely to have been the cause of the WTMD alarm. Sometimes they just make it up as they go along.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not my problem, but just an observation that some people in some parts of the world might be proud to have metal in their shoes and want the metal detector to sound.

BTW I would never wear Nikes to travel.
I often wear running shoes.

The most important criteria for me for travel shoes is shoes that I can run in, if need be.

I have sprinted for a gate in Birkenstocks and flipflops. Not fun.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
poorly made (sorry folks) dress shoes have a metal shank.
Well, that's totally wrong. Shoes from Alden of New England, widely considered by those who actually know shoes to be the finest shoe manufacturer still existing in the US, have metal shanks.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow. I only wear the Fifth Avenues (small ankle, so Last 5 is great). My oldest pair is from 2008 when I first discovered them.

I'm in love with them. 3 dark brown, 1 light brown (a mistake, since it's closer to freaking orange) and 1 black.

Best clothing decision of my life!
I'm a big 5/65 last fan myself. Plenty of Park Avenues and MacAllisters in the collection (the latter went out of the range for a few years until old timers insisted it be brought back.) Just the most comfortable shoes around. From when I first discovered them I understood what makes women all crazy around shoe stores.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pup7
I can't believe they let her wear ANY shoes in an MRI. Not your wife's mistake, but certainly the mistake of the tech. Generally they won't even let you wear the simplest of house slippers, but they'll give you hospital disposable socks for the test.

Flying was what taught me that Danskos (the old ones, made by Sanita) and of course Sanitas have a metal shank in them. I certainly wouldn't call them poorly made - my Sanitas are bulletproof.
She took them off for the scan itself, she was only using them to walk around in the facility.

They didn't care about the zipper on my jeans (I was in the room with her but not in the tube) and I had left my glasses outside--afterwards I found out they would have been acceptable (so I could read while I was waiting.)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Definitely the shank, and not random other metal. There isn't enough in the nails or lace grommets or anywhere else you might have metal in your shoes, unless the WTMD sensitivity is cranked insanely high.

I am fortunate that most of my shoes lack a shank and thus do not alarm. Given Pre these days sends you to the Nude-o-Scope when you alarm, that's a big deal.

Nails won't set them off, poorly made (sorry folks) dress shoes have a metal shank.

If you're in the US, consider buying shoes from www.allenedmonds.com - they will be the last pair you buy for the rest of your life. Proper hand made shoes, and when you wear out the sole, you can get them recrafted.
My Allen Edmonds shoes don't set off the WTMD, FWIW.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Definitely the shank, and not random other metal. There isn't enough in the nails or lace grommets or anywhere else you might have metal in your shoes, unless the WTMD sensitivity is cranked insanely high.
Surprisingly, I hit the most sensitive detector I have yet encountered inside the family court building here in town. I had to divest metal that has never tripped an airport detector.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by exerda

I am fortunate that most of my shoes lack a shank and thus do not alarm. Given Pre these days sends you to the Nude-o-Scope when you alarm, that's a big deal.

My Allen Edmonds shoes don't set off the WTMD, FWIW.
I've wondered about this, but never witnessed it. What happens with shoes if you are in a Pre line and get sent to the NoS?

I always remove my shoes before I approach the TDC and when I randomly set off the WTMD, I get a grope. The question has never come up because I am already barefoot.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
I always wear the same shoes that never trigger alarm : Clarks casual.

I have a metal bar in my right leg after a ski accident.
It triggered the alarm only once. At a minor Chinese airport. The guy tried desperately to find what was beeping his hand-held metal detector, didn't find out and gave up.
I didn't tell him I had a metal bar inside my body, as I knew that it was the best way to become suspicious and finish naked in front of four or five inspectors.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Why do shoes set off metal detectors?

Back before body scans I had a pair of shoes that would trip the WTMD. I learned (probably here) that shuffling through can keep the shank from being picked up.

Twice with pre check I have been the lucky recipient of the random beep and sent for the WBI. Shoes stayed in and didn't alarm the gumby figure, but I got random false positives both times elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.