Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do shoes set off metal detectors?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: LH Sen, OW Sapphire, Skyteam Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Nails won't set them off, poorly made (sorry folks) dress shoes have a metal shank.

If you're in the US, consider buying shoes from www.allenedmonds.com - they will be the last pair you buy for the rest of your life. Proper hand made shoes, and when you wear out the sole, you can get them recrafted.
This is definitely not correct. I do wear shoes by Alden (made in New England) for many years and they are handmade ( I prefer the ones made of horse leather). All these shoes have a piece of metal in the sole to give them more stability (I have been shown this on the X-ray screen by security at Zurich airport). They can be re-soled many many times, donīt lose shape and they age very nicely ( my oldest pair is 27 years old and has been re-soled several times.), so claiming that only poorly made shoes have a "metal shank" is nonsense, as many consider Alden shoes superior to Allen-Edmonds.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by txlflyer
This is definitely not correct. I do wear shoes by Alden (made in New England) for many years and they are handmade ( I prefer the ones made of horse leather). All these shoes have a piece of metal in the sole to give them more stability (I have been shown this on the X-ray screen by security at Zurich airport). They can be re-soled many many times, donīt lose shape and they age very nicely ( my oldest pair is 27 years old and has been re-soled several times.), so claiming that only poorly made shoes have a "metal shank" is nonsense, as many consider Alden shoes superior to Allen-Edmonds.

Amen brother. I graduated from Allen-Edmonds to Alden years ago and would never go back - even though they set off detectors.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz PC
I travel weekly and always wear Allen Edmonds when traveling (Carlyle, Fifth Ave, Lubbock, Strand) and have only set off the WTMD once. The TSA guy said that my shoes may have been too close to the sides of the scanners and to try again. Didn't set off the alarm the 2nd time through. So maybe it is just a combination of factors (sensitivity, proximity, metal, etc) and not just the single instance of a metal insert in a shoe?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
My $100 Rockports don't set off the alarm but my $600 orthotics do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.