Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving 2015 - expect longer security lines, reduced PreCheck "perks"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

http://ktla.com/2015/11/23/thanksgiv...across-the-us/

"...expect more random hand swabbing for explosive residue, bomb-sniffing dogs, laptop checks and shoe removals, even if you have TSA Pre-Check."
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Family flew out of DEN this morning, with PreCheck, and they reported that it was business as usual.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
More hype and posturing, no doubt. All to make the infrequent or inexperienced travelers even more nervous. What a terrible weekend to be flying if it's not something you're used to.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Family flew out of DEN this morning, with PreCheck, and they reported that it was business as usual.
Cleared DEN security ten minutes ago. Theater is in full-force. The metal detector at the south Pre line is now "randomly" rejecting people, so even though you have Pre you have to go through the MMW or wait for a grope.

The WTMD beeped for me (no belt, watch, nothing in pockets, so I'm inclined to believe it is randomly beeping). My bags had already gone through and I was directed to a long line of fellow rejectees waiting for the MMW. My bags would've been a solid 30 feet away and I wouldn't have been able to see them, so I refused and stood next to the WTMD for about 15 minutes while waiting for a groper.

The perv groping me claimed this is a nationwide policy: Pre WTMDs will randomly beep. I don't know if that's true—could just be this mouthbreather blowing smoke—but I made it clear to him exactly how stupid and pointless that is.

Took maybe 20 minutes to get through security, which itself isn't bad for a holiday week, but it would've been the normal Pre experience if not for this sheer idiocy.

Paul Theroux summed it up well:

All air travel today involves interrogation, often by someone in a uniform who is your inferior.
How I hate these people.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by BSBD
http://ktla.com/2015/11/23/thanksgiv...across-the-us/

"...expect more random hand swabbing for explosive residue, bomb-sniffing dogs, laptop checks and shoe removals, even if you have TSA Pre-Check."
The quote is from Pistole a retired TSA Administrator. Can we presume that TSA leadership developed a disproportionate focus on speed over diligent resolution of alarms under Pistole? Does anyone really think the issues documented by DHS OIG, only started after Pistole retired?

Does "sniffing dogs" = Managed Inclusion = Precheck lines crowded with families and many other initiated?

Last edited by gingersnaps; Nov 24, 2015 at 10:40 am
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
The quote is from Pistole a retired TSA Administrator. Can we presume that TSA leadership developed a disproportionate focus on speed over diligent resolution of alarms under Pistole? Does anyone really think the issues documented by DHS OIG, only started after Pistole retired?

Does "sniffing dogs" = Managed Inclusion = Precheck lines crowded with families and many other initiated?
I do not know how the failure rate in the Pre lanes compared to the failure rate in 'full meal deal' lanes. Do you?

IIRC, one fail was when the groper missed a weapon somehow 'artfully concealed' to/on the pax's back.

That sure sounds like it was someone going through the 'regular' lane, not the Pre lane, where the odds of getting a grope are supposedly less.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by txflyer77
The perv groping me claimed this is a nationwide policy: Pre WTMDs will randomly beep. I don't know if that's true—could just be this mouthbreather blowing smoke—but I made it clear to him exactly how stupid and pointless that is.
There have random WTMD beeps for secondary checks some time now. I have been felt up twice because of them. The last did not go well for the TSO and the ORD FSD took my complaint seriously.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I got the Pre Check Double Whammy this week with the WTMD randomizer sending me for a grope, as well as my rollaboard being emptied out to examine the kindergarten scissors inside.

Pretty sure the randomizer is beeping more often now.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Tanic
I got the Pre Check Double Whammy this week with the WTMD randomizer sending me for a grope, as well as my rollaboard being emptied out to examine the kindergarten scissors inside.

Pretty sure the randomizer is beeping more often now.
Hard to tell given the influx of less-frequent travelers on a day like today but the WTMD was probably going off for 90% of pax in the Pre line while I waited for my massage this morning.

Probably some legitimate beeps in there mixed in with a lot of horse-puckey.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:26 pm

In the past, the beeps for random have been a long beep, which was a different sound than that of the beep for setting off the WTMD.

Txflyer77, do you know whether most of the people had the regular beep or the long beep?

I am hoping that others will post their experiences regarding this.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen the randomizer result in swabbing for explosives, not the nude-o-scope or gropes.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
What would it take to eliminate the use of the word "Homeland" from the security vernacular?

Mike
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
A spectacularly bad TV show? Nope, tried that...
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mikeef
What would it take to eliminate the use of the word "Homeland" from the security vernacular?

Mike
I wish they would. For me, the word has connotations of Germany during the Nazi era.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wish they would. For me, the word has connotations of Germany during the Nazi era.
No, heaven's no! Think of all the motherhood, apple pies and first responders?!?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.