Going through checkpoint multiple times

Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Going through checkpoint multiple times

The apple butter thread in the other forum made me wonder - I frequently clear security, only to realize I have more time than I need, and I head back out to kill some time at the USO (non-secure side, sadly) with my toddler. Then we head back through the checkpoint and get on our flight. Lest it seems like I can just plan things better, twice I've had to leave the secure side because both the family restroom and all handicapped stalls were closed for maintenance. There is only one checkpoint, so entering the second time through another isn't an option.

Anyway, I've done this a few times with no issues, but after reading that thread, I wonder if we're going to catch a screener on a bad day and get hell for it. My husband commented that it might look like I was testing their system. Am I pushing things?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I wouldn't give it a second thought if I were you.

People leave the sterile area all the time - often for a smoke. This woman appears to have been singled out and targeted by some unprofessional TSOs and their management.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I agree with Chollie. Going through (successfully) security twice isn't something that should throw up a flag. The apple butter case involves the woman trying to go through security after being denied which isn't something you'd be doing.
If questioned you have a valid answer too. Not that validity ever stopped the TSA from making a scene.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
If questioned you have a valid answer too. Not that validity ever stopped the TSA from making a scene.
This is my concern. Ha.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:53 pm

Print a new boarding pass. Don't go back through with the scribbled-on pass.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We often go in and out of the airside for a smoke and have never had a problem. I suppose we could get a new boarding pass if reentry was an issue but that's not always easy or convenient.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BSBD
Print a new boarding pass. Don't go back through with the scribbled-on pass.
This is silly.

Not only is there no limit on the # of times you can go through the checkpoint, but many people do it for all kinds of reasons. Even if you hit the same Officer and he remembers your face and says, "welcome back" it won't matter.

Now, maybe if you do this 8-10 times in an hour and hit the same Officer, somebody may ask you what you are doing, but beyond, there is neither anything to worry about nor any reason to engage in silly tricks.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Often1
This is silly.

Not only is there no limit on the # of times you can go through the checkpoint, but many people do it for all kinds of reasons. Even if you hit the same Officer and he remembers your face and says, "welcome back" it won't matter.
From the standpoint of, "It's silly because there's no legal issue, so it shouldn't be necessary," I agree with you.

However, I've encountered a few too many TSA staffers who ask unnecessary questions, and make up their own rules. My preference is to minimize the opportunity for unnecessary and/or extra-legal interactions with TSA.

Now, maybe if you do this 8-10 times in an hour and hit the same Officer, somebody may ask you what you are doing, but beyond, there is neither anything to worry about nor any reason to engage in silly tricks.
Right - it's silly until it's not.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by chollie
I wouldn't give it a second thought if I were you.

People leave the sterile area all the time - often for a smoke. This woman appears to have been singled out and targeted by some unprofessional TSOs and their management.
Agreed ^ and speaking as a smoker, I do this all the time if my flight is delayed or cancelled and I'm rebooked on a later flight and I've never been questioned (and this includes having the TSA "secret scribble" on my boarding pass from my first entry [and subsequent "re-entries")
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been out and returned during connections more than once. It's never caused the slightest issue.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:57 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Concur with others. Never any major issues, other than the feckless nature of the TSA itself and another interaction. My Pre-check has always re-beeped also, though I have only tried it 3 times max for same flight.

I wonder when the TSA will start re-charging people another 2.80$ (or whatever it is these days) in a new screening fee
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I haven't had issues yet, but you know never what will become an issue with them. My PreCheck always works each time too.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:01 pm

I was traveling with a fellow when we were in university. I assumed he was lost, so I exited the sterile area and went back to the checkin desk to look for him. I had stayed at a nearby hotel, he had stayed with local friends in Vancouver.

Turned out he overslept and almost missed the flight. At the point where it was about an hour till boarding, I returned through security and waited for him in the gate area.

I didn't have any trouble, and we met at the gate a few minutes before boarding. No issues whatsoever.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by goalie
Agreed ^ and speaking as a smoker, I do this all the time if my flight is delayed or cancelled and I'm rebooked on a later flight and I've never been questioned (and this includes having the TSA "secret scribble" on my boarding pass from my first entry [and subsequent "re-entries")
+1 -- I do this too, using the previously scribbled boarding pass on purpose. If asked, I tell them that if they had a smoking room airside, they wouldn't have to check me twice! :-)
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Years ago, I once got hassled for entering a checkpoint repeatedly in DTW when I was trying to deal with an IROPS hotel issue (an agent inside security was helping me out, and I was trying to check in to the Westin hotel outside security). The agent rejected my existing boarding pass for being previously scribbled on, and the new boarding pass was for the next morning so invalid for entry.

I really enjoyed the look on the officer's face 10 minutes later when I returned with a gate pass produced by a DL checkin agent, with justification entered as "TO GET PAST TSA AGENT".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.