Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Marseilles to London via Plane....Do I go thru Immigration?

Marseilles to London via Plane....Do I go thru Immigration?

Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:27 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question Marseilles to London via Plane....Do I go thru Immigration?

I am flying from Marseilles to LHR, spending the night, and then on to the States the next morning.

Do I have to go thru any immigration and /or customs when I arrive in LHR? We will be spending the night at the Sofitel at the airport.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by david4455
I am flying from Marseilles to LHR, spending the night, and then on to the States the next morning.

Do I have to go thru any immigration and /or customs when I arrive in LHR? We will be spending the night at the Sofitel at the airport.
Yes, you'll go through UK immigration and customs (although customs will be just walking through the green door, unless you do actually have something to declare, are bringing a pet, etc.). The UK is not a part of Schengen, so there's an immigration check.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Bummer...will flying BA's Club Europe get us into any expedited immigration line?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:58 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Bummer...will flying BA's Club Europe get us into any expedited immigration line?
Yes, assuming you have a non-UK/EU passport. Note that the 'Fast Track' line can be slower than the normal line.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: 1 thousand
What passport do you have? Biometric passports from certain countries (EU, EEA, USA, NZ etc) can be used in the e-gates, they're often the fastest way to get in (although their usage is increasing nowadays).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Yes, you'll go through UK immigration and customs (although customs will be just walking through the green door, unless you do actually have something to declare, are bringing a pet, etc.). The UK is not a part of Schengen, so there's an immigration check.
Within the EU there is no customs so you take the blue channel to bypass it, not the green. Still have to go through immigration first.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:27 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor
What passport do you have? Biometric passports from certain countries (EU, EEA, USA, NZ etc) can be used in the e-gates, they're often the fastest way to get in (although their usage is increasing nowadays).
You cannot use the e-gates with any biometric passport, only EU/EEA. I assume the OP does not hold an EU/EEA passport though so this would not apply.

If you are part of the (paid) Registered Traveller service then you can also use the e-gates. I assume the OP is not registered as they would know the requirements for UK entry and that they had paid for this service.
https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

USA citizen....no special passport but Global Entry registered.

So.... through immigration I go...follow-up question...how fast do these lines move? We arrive from Marseilles at around 17:30.

Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

USA citizen....no special passport but Global Entry registered.

So.... through immigration I go...follow-up question...how fast do these lines move? We arrive from Marseilles at around 17:30.
In my experience of ~100 entries at T5 before Registered Traveller, Fast Track varied from minutes (practically no queue) to an hour. On average perhaps 20mins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.