Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can you bring a license plate through security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

On my way to Budapest I will be stopping in Frankfurt for a few hours and visiting a friend. I want to give her one of my old license plates (Texas changed designs a few years ago and didn't ask for them back) because she'd be thrilled by something like that - but since our checked bags won't be accessible, I would need to carry it on. Would the TSA give me any grief if I had it in a small carry-on bag? I don't think the edges constitute anything close to "knife-like" but since it's a cornered piece of thin aluminum I didn't know what they would do.

Thank you!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Why not ship it? There is a chance that you might meet a TSA officer that feels the need to impose his badge. Then again you might get a officer that is a car nut and want's to talk about cars. Shipping won't be too expensive.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:44 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
License plates are not a TSA-prohibited item. I'd put it in my carry-on.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: hertz gold #1
ive carried lots that i buy at swap meets , never a problem
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:51 pm

I've never had a problem, even internationally, with a license plate in my carry on.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I carried a Macedonian license plate onboard - one I had found in a gutter on the side of the road. There was no problem.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: skymiles

carry all the time as traspit driver never a problem 5 yrs only asked 1 time
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:35 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow the thread as it moves to the apt travel safety/security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:42 pm

I just returned my leased car out of state and flew home with my plates in my carry on ... no issues. I suppose internationally it should not be an issue either.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:33 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I do it often enough and never had an issue save one feckless yahoo TSA clerk at ABQ circa 2003 think he was Kojak. I've done it at least two dozen times in the last ten years or so. Actually good money in selling plates from certain parts of the world ^
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:32 pm

My first thought was who the heck travels with a license plate?

I was startled to see so many posts by people who travel with license plates.

But this is FlyerTalk. If there's some unusual or quirky about travel, you'll find it here. And find 5 new friends who do the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.