Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with Expired ID/Driver License?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold
Question Expired Identification

My Fiancee is going to be meeting me in DC in about 2 weeks. Her drivers license expired in Feb, and she is still awaiting her new passport to arrive. (Wonderful Timing I know). She's really scared that she won't be able to fly in the case the neither show up.

I've never been in this situation, is it still possible to fly nationally on an expired DL, im sure she could bring evidence that she had completed the application for a new DL (she applied for the new one 6 weeks ago, and her old passport has expired)

Thanks for any insight.

-Andrew

Additional info: she'll be flying IAH-DCA on CO and returning ROC-IAH
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I flew DEN-IAH with an expired license and received the extra security screening as a result, but I was still able to fly.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I would suggest bringing another form of ID as well (Social Security card comes to mind).
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Every state is different I'm sure, but I am amazed at Texas taking 6 plus weeks for a DL renewal. In NJ, I received mine within 30 minutes of completing the forms - obviously, in person.

I would follow the advice on the Texas website and bring the temporary license she received at renewal. It's good for 60 days.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
-deleted-
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This belongs in the Travel Safety & Security forum...

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually one does not need any ID in order to fly nationally. You will automatically be nominated to receive a secondary inspection. This is noted on the TSA website.

MisterNice
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For Pete's sake, do not bring your social security card!

Based on recent events, all she has to do is to borrow a friend's license with a picture which looks like her and make a reservation in her friend's name. Obviously works like a charm!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MisterNice
Actually one does not need any ID in order to fly nationally. You will automatically be nominated to receive a secondary inspection. This is noted on the TSA website.

MisterNice
Right. Since she is not "refusing to provide" identification but rather has an expired ID she should be OK. She may be subject to answering questions about her identity with a phone service.

I thought NY took a while since it took me 2 weeks to get a license issued there. 6 weeks I'd be investigating to find out if my ID had been lost in the mail.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Every state is different I'm sure, but I am amazed at Texas taking 6 plus weeks for a DL renewal. In NJ, I received mine within 30 minutes of completing the forms - obviously, in person.

I would follow the advice on the Texas website and bring the temporary license she received at renewal. It's good for 60 days.

Texas is in the middle of a major change in the DL. They are warning everyone that it will take longer than normal. A person is given a document to keep with the old DL until the new one is received. They are giving longer on the temp to allow for the delay also.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:02 pm

ID not required for domestic fligts

Originally Posted by gj83
Since she is not "refusing to provide" identification but rather has an expired ID she should be OK. She may be subject to answering questions about her identity with a phone service.
Yes, but she doesn't have a "valid" ID card that was lost or stolen.

It's difficult to tell what the current policy is, because TSA keeps them secret from everyone except for tens of thousands of TSA staff.

For a recent discussion of this topic, including links to previous discussions, see "TSA SOP re: airport ID requirements provided to IDP via FOIA request".
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:12 pm

ID can be expired for up to 12 months.

If her DL expired in February, then she should have no problem getting through the TSA TDC. At least, not until February 2010, anyway.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:13 am

Programs: QFF
Why should ID need to expire? It's not as if the card is no longer 'you' after it "expires".
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Himeno
Why should ID need to expire? It's not as if the card is no longer 'you' after it "expires".
So the government can deny you privileges, that's why.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
For Pete's sake, do not bring your social security card!

Based on recent events, all she has to do is to borrow a friend's license with a picture which looks like her and make a reservation in her friend's name. Obviously works like a charm!
I dont know of any specific examples, but I'm thinking this could have a significant downside risk, especially if a cop gets involved anywhere in the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.