Wiki Posts
Search

SSSS flying out of JFK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish Airlines Elite, Star Alliance Gold
SSSS flying out of JFK

I've recently had the pleasure of being added to god-knows-what list due to residency in Turkey (US citizen) and a bunch of odd one-way flights, resulting in regular SSSS screenings. I'm also a journalist so there are lot's of fun stamps for countries like Afghanistan, Yemen, Iraq etc in my passport.

I've never flown OUT of JFK as an SSSS and wanted to know what to expect. Will it help cut the line with security or do I need to budget tons of extra time?

Does JFK have any particular quirks when it comes to SSSS that I should be mindful of?

I'm flying one-way business on Singapore to Frankfurt to take advantage of miles and then buying a one way to my final destination, Istanbul.

Will be checking 2-3 bags and large carryon. Sadly, this can't be avoided as I am bringing back costly broadcast equipment (I shoot video for a living) that I can't check.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LucyK
I've recently had the pleasure of being added to god-knows-what list due to residency in Turkey (US citizen) and a bunch of odd one-way flights, resulting in regular SSSS screenings. I'm also a journalist so there are lot's of fun stamps for countries like Afghanistan, Yemen, Iraq etc in my passport.

I've never flown OUT of JFK as an SSSS and wanted to know what to expect. Will it help cut the line with security or do I need to budget tons of extra time?

Does JFK have any particular quirks when it comes to SSSS that I should be mindful of?

I'm flying one-way business on Singapore to Frankfurt to take advantage of miles and then buying a one way to my final destination, Istanbul.

Will be checking 2-3 bags and large carryon. Sadly, this can't be avoided as I am bringing back costly broadcast equipment (I shoot video for a living) that I can't check.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Depending on how much carry-on stuff was involved, I'd frequently advice to add anywhere from 20-40 minutes extra at JFK for that flight. If in your case, I'd add a total 40-60 minutes more than my usual times for at-airport procedures -- due in part to checked baggage, when wanting to have that too have a decent chance of making the scheduled flight. But before that, I'd try online check-in to see if I could get my own PYO or mobile boarding pass; and if that online check-in resulted in having all the boarding passes, then I'd know that haraSSSSment hasn't hit my boarding passes.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I took this flight last week and the TSA lines were a true mess. SQ departs the same gate area as EK to DXB on another A380 along with a bunch of other transatlantic flights from the same area so there are a lot of people going through the checkpoints. I wasn't SSSS but I did opt out of the body scanner and got a very thorough freedom grope and two very nice karate chops to my testicles....the supervisor could care less when we spoke but I got both their info and will mention it to my Senator when I attend a luncheon later this month. Harsh reminder of how good having preCheck really is.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:23 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
The TSA in JFK T4 (and perhaps all terminals) all seem to have a really nasty attitude (my experience) and move at a snails pace when doing the grope and carry-on search, which I always get because I always opt out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.