Search

TSA Approved Lock Master Keys Compromised

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA Approved Lock Master Keys Compromised

https://twitter.com/Lukewearechange/...493184/photo/1

It seems TSA allowed a picture of its full set of Master Keys for TSA Approved Locks to be taken by media which was published and now information from that image has allowed an enterprising person to create a way to print keys on a 3D printer.

Might as well toss your TSA approved locks.

Thanks TSA for keeping the public less safe!

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...uggage-at-risk

The master keys for those locks are kept under close guard – but a photograph of seven of them accompanied a Washington Post article about the TSA published in November 2014.
Anyone with a 3D printer can now unlock every single TSA-approved padlock, thanks to a security lapse by the American government agency.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised it took so long for something like this to happen.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Anybody who thinks TSA locks are going to keep the dedicated thief out of their luggage is a bit misguided. I use them but more to keep zippers from getting caught up in equipment and opened. I've seen more than one situation where some poor soul's garments have come out on the luggage carousel one piece at a time like bread crumbs back to their open bag. Could use zip ties and accomplish the same thing but I've built up quite a collection of TSA locks over the years so it's just more convenient.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Exactly. Ripping a zipper open isn't terribly hard. Slashing the bag is even easier if it's a softside. And if they really want the bag they'll take the whole thing anyway and won't bother to try and unlock it. That's always been the case. If a thief wants something, they will find a way to take it.

I use locks to more or less keep the bag from popping open or accidentally being ripped open, much as Randyk47 said.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This should be another reminder that governmental backdoors to get around encryption/locks without owner-oversight should not be allowed.

Allowing a party to easily crack into something without making the crack more immediately obvious to the owner is a big part of the problem.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Lockpickers 3-D Print TSA Master Luggage Keys From Leaked Photos

Via WIRED:

A group of lock-picking and security enthusiasts drove that lesson home Wednesday by publishing a set of CAD files to Github that anyone can use to 3-D print a precisely measured set of the TSA’s master keys for its “approved” locks—the ones the agency can open with its own keys during airport inspections. Within hours, at least one 3-D printer owner had already downloaded the files, printed one of the master keys, and published a video proving that it opened his TSA-approved luggage lock.
Example Video

EDIT: Just realized someone posted this in the 'Checkpoints and Border Policy Debate' forum recently -- please delete if possible!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
The main purpose of the lock, for me, is to keep the bag from opening by accident or to keep someone from stealthily slipping a hand into my carry-on while I'm sitting in the airport. A regular keyring will do the same.

The locks offer about as much actual security as the TSA itself, so it's rather fitting.

By the way, this is also why I'll never live in an apartment with key-operated direct elevator access: while my key may be difficult to obtain and duplicate, I have to believe that those universal fireman's keys are readily obtainable...
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are only something like 6-7 different keys for all the "TSA-approved" locks. I counted 7 in the Twitter picture. All you have to do is hit enough CVSs and Walmarts to buy a TSA lockset for all 7 locks (the numbers are stamped on the locks) and you've got them all.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
There are only something like 6-7 different keys for all the "TSA-approved" locks. I counted 7 in the Twitter picture. All you have to do is hit enough CVSs and Walmarts to buy a TSA lockset for all 7 locks (the numbers are stamped on the locks) and you've got them all.
Master keys are different than the key the user has. With that said I think we all know that TSA approved locks offer little real security, just like TSA
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, OnePass, AA, U-MP, more
The photograph might have made it slightly easier, but just disassembling a few locks allows figuring out the profile.

Once you have the profile, making keys requires only precision machine tools and basic knowledge of how to use them. Or, as is the point of the story, a 3D printer and the ability to follow directions.

I don't blame the Washington Post. Rather the absurdity that someone thought that a mechanical key profile could be kept secret
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
These certainly aren't high security locks. Although I've never tried to pick the ones I have, I doubt they would be difficult.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:25 pm

Anyone can download the designs now and print them out

https://github.com/Xyl2k/TSA-Travel-Sentry-master-keys
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
So, we should expect the TSA to (ex post facto) declare the keys SSI and take action against the 'officer' that allowed them to be photographed?

Of course, anyone that was duped into thinking those locks did anything but keep honest people out of luggage could consider this a blessing - now it is clear to all but the most dullard that those locks are simply ballast.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
So, we should expect the TSA to (ex post facto) declare the keys SSI and take action against the 'officer' that allowed them to be photographed?

Of course, anyone that was duped into thinking those locks did anything but keep honest people out of luggage could consider this a blessing - now it is clear to all but the most dullard that those locks are simply ballast.
It has been part of my "layered security" for quite some time.

Until it had been cut off so many times that I don't use them anymore. Guess TSA doesn't have a 3D printer.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:57 am

Leaked Photo Leads To 3-D Printed Copies Of TSA’s Master Keys

Title says it all.

Link from Consumerist
http://consumerist.com/2015/09/10/le...luggage-locks/

I personally have never put locks on my luggage. I never check anything I would miss (...too much) assumed locks would make the bag more attractive. Another myth(?) I have heard is that the screeners are the ones most likely to steal something anyway.

What's everyone's best practice for valuables that really must be checked? Do the "TSA Approved" locks really reduce the chances of theft (they always looked pretty easy to pick)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.