Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Approved Lock Master Keys Compromised

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:23 pm

I have seen many pictures of TSA approved locks which have been cut off with bolt cutters. Makes me question the need for them in the first place given the cost difference.

I personally don't bother with locks any more due to this reason, but use a zip tie to close the case. If they need access, they can cut it open, and with the zip tie on there, it stops the case opening easily.

But of course, if you have a soft side case, put a pen in towards the teeth of the zip, press firm and you have your zip open, without issue and of course, run the zip back over again and it closes even although it's locked. Secure?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that TSA locks are less than 100% secure!

I use 'em to keep the zippers closed on my bag. I don't use zip ties, because if the zip tie is cut off, it's not replaced by anything, and there's nothing to keep the zippers closed. But at least with the cheesy TSA lock, they'll put the lock back on when they're done running their disgusting blue-gloved hands through my underwear.

I am under no illusion that they provide any sort of protection against thievery.

Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pup7
Exactly. Ripping a zipper open isn't terribly hard. Slashing the bag is even easier if it's a softside. And if they really want the bag they'll take the whole thing anyway and won't bother to try and unlock it. That's always been the case. If a thief wants something, they will find a way to take it.

I use locks to more or less keep the bag from popping open or accidentally being ripped open, much as Randyk47 said.
They have some value. A thief looking through baggage doesn't really want to make it obvious that he's been there, he's not going to go slashing a whole bunch of bags looking for something to steal.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eastport
Once you have the profile, making keys requires only precision machine tools and basic knowledge of how to use them. Or, as is the point of the story, a 3D printer and the ability to follow directions.
They're cheap locks-- they probably don't require anything like precision machine tools. A few strips of metal and a small $2 hand file would probably be enough.

About a year ago I had a rack full of electronics that had 4 locks that I needed to open to get to, but the keys hadn't been sent with the rack. I pulled out my keys, and just tried everything vaguely the right size-- I have several keys for small padlocks and cheap locker locks. I managed to get 3 of the 4 locks open with random keys from my pocket. Cheap locks aren't picky about what key you use.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
They have some value. A thief looking through baggage doesn't really want to make it obvious that he's been there, he's not going to go slashing a whole bunch of bags looking for something to steal.
Readers at a security blog I read have already pointed out an easy trick for opening via the zipper, even if locked, and then reclosing. There are demonstrations on Youtube.

I do agree that they serve a very small security purpose, because sometimes the small amount of extra time, or the obviousness that it's being done, is enough to be a deterrent. But mostly they keep your bag from unzipping by accident.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:17 am

has anyone contacted the TSA, DHS, or their senator about this?
The TSA needs to do something about this
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Readers at a security blog I read have already pointed out an easy trick for opening via the zipper, even if locked, and then reclosing. There are demonstrations on Youtube.

I do agree that they serve a very small security purpose, because sometimes the small amount of extra time, or the obviousness that it's being done, is enough to be a deterrent. But mostly they keep your bag from unzipping by accident.
I do locks plus two TSA-locked straps around the bag. The zipper approach isn't going to work very well against my stuff.

I figure it's enough of a deterrent that they'll go on to the next bag. So far our only losses to date have been to a hungry TSA agent.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Anybody who thinks TSA locks are going to keep the dedicated thief out of their luggage is a bit misguided.
Exactly. Or even the not-very-dedicated thief.

There has been discussion here over the years, including posts by people who (claim to) work for the TSA, that the master keys (meant to be) used by TSA at the airport baggage check area go missing on a regular basis. Or are "borrowed" by airline baggage handlers and not returned. Or...
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdA350
I have seen many pictures of TSA approved locks which have been cut off with bolt cutters.
... are too much of a nuisance, so TSA just cuts the lock off.
Originally Posted by chrisl137
My bag was opened in SYD, SIN or AMS some years ago, presumably with that trick. Since then I've used a padlock with a short steel cable, with the lock through the two zipper pulls and the cable around one of the suitcase handles, so that the locked pair of zipper pulls can't be run back-and-forth to reclose the bag. So far so good.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We all know that TSA Approved locks offered little real security but that was the only choice TSA gave travelers. Now TSA has voided even that tiny bit of baggage security and given the poor track record of TSA and airline employees the flying public is even less secure thanks to TSA.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
We all know that TSA Approved locks offered little real security but that was the only choice TSA gave travelers. Now TSA has voided even that tiny bit of baggage security and given the poor track record of TSA and airline employees the flying public is even less secure thanks to TSA.
has anyone's baggage ever been safe in the hands of the TSA?

People need to write to their senator, DHS, etc about this, something needs to be done, something that can't easily be foiled
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by nmh1204
has anyone's baggage ever been safe in the hands of the TSA?

the baggage? yes (even Vuitton, Hartman and Tumi don't get stolen by TSA. Much). The contents, however.......
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: LH M+M
The next producer of TSA locks has been "compromised", this time not by leaking information but by a design that allowed to deduct a master key by observing several bought locks.

Findings about this "Safe Skies" locks have been published on the 11th "HOPE" hackers conference in NYC - including 3D print.

http://www.csoonline.com/article/309...e-designs.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.