Travel to/thru Turkey and SSSS

Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by n0fx
After reading multiple posts, I'm a bit concerned as well. I bought a one-way ticket from VCE to LAX with turkish, since it was the cheapest, and it had a 23 hour layover. Since I've never been there, I was thinking of checking out Istanbul, since it's almost a day.

Do you guys think that would be a problem with possibly getting SSSS on future flights? If I knew this was going to be a problem, I would of skipped it.
Possible issue, but the chances of it hitting is far from being highly probable on such an itinerary, even with an overnight transit at IST. And now when such things do hit, it mostly passes within well under 8 weeks.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Possible issue, but the chances of it hitting is far from being highly probable on such an itinerary, even with an overnight transit at IST. And now when such things do hit, it mostly passes within well under 8 weeks.
Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll just keep it. After that trip, I won't be going out until March of next year, so if I do get any problems, I guess it would pass after the 8 week period?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
This happened to my daughter in MAD when we were flying back home in June. She'd never been to Turkey or any other place in the Middle East, except for Israel three years earlier, and she has Global Entry. It also killed her Pre✓ for the connecting flight. We were both pissed, but there was nothing that we could do except file a complaint after getting home. My guess it that they had a quota to fill.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have a quota. Our last flight my wife (who sometimes gets pre-check because of her age) got SSSSed in PVG. The real joke is that it had absolutely no effect. She didn't get SSSSed on the US leg of the flight.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A UA ticket for a LH-operated flight.

<SSSS> expansion to non-US airlines' boarding passes can be assigned to US "negotiated" push for it.

Did the friend get subjected to extra screening at FRA, and what was the screening like?

Here's the flow chart for how LH handles APIS and <SSSS> flagging. http://www.lhsystems.com/fileadmin/u...utions_web.pdf
He didn't say. But today he posted another BP on AA SEA-ORD and it had SSSS as well. He said he also has it on his ORD-DOH BP. He said security at SEA took an extra 15 mins while they unpacked both his bags, went through everything, felt him up, did the explosives trace, and then he had to repack everything.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:23 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Trans Global Airlines Frequent Stowaway
Update:

Had an amazing vacation in Turkey. Came back, and first domestic flight was SSSS.

...lovely
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:47 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RuthlesslyAbsurd
Update:

Had an amazing vacation in Turkey. Came back, and first domestic flight was SSSS.

...lovely
Sorry.

Can I ask your gender and age if you don't mind? (I think that makes a difference to the computer-- think M/35 vs F/72-- which one does it flag?).
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
Sorry.

Can I ask your gender and age if you don't mind? (I think that makes a difference to the computer-- think M/35 vs F/72-- which one does it flag?).
I've seen F/3s hit by <SSSS> related to Turkey travel even as the accompanying M/30s and M/20s were not.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:16 pm Reason: Term better left for the policy debate forum
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
Turkey-bound travelers are rightly concerned about earning an SSSS label on their boarding passes, good for four months of air travel. Just curious, has anyone experienced this after returning from other Middle Eastern countries? (No, I'm not including Iraq, Syria, or Afghanistan, which no one in their right mind would travel to.)
Not sure if I am "in my right mind" or not, but I have travelled to Turkey, Syria and Iraq recently (amongst many other places) and I haven't got SSSS in years.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
Sorry.

I'm M/29 and my wife is F/29. Both of us got hit with the SSSS the day after we got back from the Middle East
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:07 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen F/3s hit by <SSSS> related to Turkey travel even as the accompanying M/30s and M/20s were not.
That's very encouraging.

Originally Posted by Blogndog
Not sure if I am "in my right mind" or not, but I have traveled to Turkey, Syria and Iraq recently (among many other places) and I haven't got SSSS in years.
So it is Turkey + Demographics + ? - ? = SSSS or CLR (or LLL). I wonder what the ?? are . . .

Originally Posted by RuthlesslyAbsurd
I'm M/29 and my wife is F/29. Both of us got hit with the SSSS the day after we got back from the Middle East
That's the zone of flagging I was thinking of.

Naturally, because of your age and travel history, the computer can easily confirm that during your time in Turkey, you and your wife illegally crossed the border into Syria and were ISIS-radicalized and are now trying to bring Jihad back to the USA and think we'll be none the wiser because you have US Citizenship. Nice try. We gotcha! Better luch next time terrorists!

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:16 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
That's very encouraging.

So it is Turkey + Demographics + ? - ? = SSSS or CLR (or LLL). I wonder what the ?? are . . .

That's the zone of flagging I was thinking of.

Naturally, because of your age and travel history, the computer can easily confirm that during your time in Turkey, you and your wife illegally crossed the border into Syria and were ISIS-radicalized and are now trying to bring Jihad back to the USA and think we'll be none the wiser because you have US Citizenship. Nice try. We gotcha! Better luch next time terrorists!
You're so right. Jewish schoolteachers are always likely suspects too
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:13 am
Suspended

There are some air routes into and out of Turkey with different passports that, for the purposes of <SSSS>, don't seem to result in the US getting fed the kind of info that takes place if flying on a single PNR out of/into the US or via say the UK and some EU countries on say US passports.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:18 pm Reason: Term better left for the policy debate forum
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
That's very encouraging.

Hmm, yes, perhaps they are hoping I will join ISIS, as I'm so old and out of shape I'd just slow them down...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:11 am

An ER Nurse that I work with attended a wedding three weeks ago in Ankara and she was not hit with SSSS when traveling domestically to visit her folks over the holidays.

I think she is 29 (though she could be slightly younger).
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
There are some air routes into and out of Turkey with different passports that, for the purposes of <SSSS>, don't seem to result in the US getting fed the kind of info that takes place if flying on a single PNR out of/into the US or via say the UK and some EU countries on say US passports.
Or the US gets the data but judges them to be of lower risk, perhaps especially so if they've recently been interviewed at Embassy Ankara. So far my Iranian wife hasn't been struck by SSSS and is actually 5/6 on Precheck, nor have any of my Turkish friends (mostly student visa holders). It's sad that the TSA and CBP/Immigration Advisory Program seem to be going out of their way to target US passport holders, but that's the impression I'm getting from the limited N of cases we have here...

If you had asked me a year ago today, I really would have predicted that the security situation in the region would improve and the suspicion of Istanbul expats would end by now. Oh, how naive I was...

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:18 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.