Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

British Airways looking for API where it is not needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

I booked a one way ticket on BA from Dublin-Sofia via LHR.

BA are now looking for API even though as an Irish Citizen API is not needed to fly to the UK or the EU. Is it best just give them the info now or will they simply capture the info at check in?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:45 am

Just a guess, but Bulgaria may require API on all passengers.

Anyway, from BA:

If you haven't given us this information by the time you check-in, we will ask you for it when you use online check-in, a check-in kiosk or a check-in desk.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...-api#passenger
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The UK government requires API from all persons travelling by air (and some other methods) to or from the UK except within the common travel area. Citizenship is irrelevant.

Your DUB-LHR flight does not require API but your LHR-SOF does. You will be unable to check-in online unless you submit API. If you check-in at the airport, your passport will be swiped there.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by stifle
The UK government requires API from all persons travelling by air (and some other methods) to or from the UK except within the common travel area. Citizenship is irrelevant.
In my limited experience you can enter pretty much whatever you want in the API field with no repercussions. A few times I have done OLCI and not had my passport on my person, in those cases I've entered the passport number as a string of 0's or X's.

Also, I thought that the EU courts ruled that UK collection of API on intra-EU flights must be made optional for EU citizens?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The EU has ruled a lot of things that the UK has not implemented or has dragged its heels on implementing for years. It took a few weeks short of two years for the UK to implement an opt-out from the MMW scanners, for example.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K
The EU has ruled a lot of things that the UK has not implemented or has dragged its heels on implementing for years. It took a few weeks short of two years for the UK to implement an opt-out from the MMW scanners, for example.
I'm well aware of the UK's lack of compliance with many EU directives. Therefore, it gives me pleasure to input inaccurate API data on flights in and out of the UK. What's that acronym for databases... oh yeah... GIGO... garbage in, garbage out. Never had a problem.

Last edited by pilot007; Sep 4, 2015 at 7:33 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:31 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I was under the impression that whatever you filled in the fields was repopulated with the correct data when your passport is swiped.

If your passport is never swiped by airlines (which can often be the case from CTA to Schengen) then I suppose it doesn't matter what you enter.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:34 am
Original Poster

I think I shall just totally ignore API and just check in at the airport.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
I was under the impression that whatever you filled in the fields was repopulated with the correct data when your passport is swiped.

If your passport is never swiped by airlines (which can often be the case from CTA to Schengen) then I suppose it doesn't matter what you enter.
At NCL they seem to have a policy that if you get to the gate with an onwards connection from LHR, your boarding pass will reject and you'll be asked for your passport for swiping. Never seen it anywhere else.

As for me, I have my passport details on file on my executive club account and they automatically populate onto my bookings. No further action required.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:43 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
At NCL they seem to have a policy that if you get to the gate with an onwards connection from LHR, your boarding pass will reject and you'll be asked for your passport for swiping. Never seen it anywhere else.
Hmm, I once had an NCL-LHR-EU before free domestic addons to redemptions were stopped.

I was HBO but the kiosk wouldn't print the BPs. The agent asked for my passport and I decided to see what would happen if I didn't give it to him.

He claimed he was only able to print the NCL-LHR BP (not sure if it was computer or human saying no). From LHR I went home then returned to the airport. This time I was able to print the LHR-EU BP myself and furthermore, my passport was not requested at the gate either.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Just to conclude the thread, they simply swiped my passport on check in. Nothing else was asked.

I just don't see the point of the constant online reminders when all they have to do is swipe the passport at check in.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It saves a small but non-trivial amount of time if you have keyed the details yourself and they do not have to swipe the passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.