Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

I occasionally get precheck even though I didn't apply for it.

Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

Have never signed up for pre check or gloabl entry but on several recent trips I've been given PreCheck access and it obviously is a much better experience, especially when traveling with family/children.

Anyone know why we occasionally get this and is there anything to improve chances of having it happen more often?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by thewhitezone
Have never signed up for pre check or gloabl entry but on several recent trips I've been given PreCheck access and it obviously is a much better experience, especially when traveling with family/children.

Anyone know why we occasionally get this and is there anything to improve chances of having it happen more often?
It's handed out somewhat randomly and mysteriously despite the TSA saying that they were going to stop doing this.

Best way to improve your chances is definitely to sign up for either Precheck, Global Entry or Nexus. The latter two programs also get you through customs and immigration faster, so are generally better if you do much in the way of international travel.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Sign up for Global Entry or NEXUS. If you go across the northern border with any regularity, NEXUS is indispensable. With all three programs, you get PreCheck at nearly 100% (I've had it on all ~50 qualifying flights since approval).
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is airport security related and not airlines related, it has moved. /Moderator
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

That brings up a question. If you are selected for pre-check and other family members are not, can they use pre-check with you?

I found my answer
https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply
Children 12 and under can go with you through pre-check. Older family members cannot.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry

You're just getting pushed forward by your airline for consideration by TSA. It's a random occurrence and while TSA is cutting back in honoring the airline pushes it still happens. Really started out as an advertising ploy, a "try it, you'll like it" thing, hoping to get you to sign up for PreCheck or one of the other Trusted Traveler programs. It worked on us and when our PreCheck selection rate started to drop off we signed up for Global Entry and its added benefit of PreCheck. Now even that doesn't 100% guarantee you'll always get PreCheck but since we signed up we have always gotten it.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:07 am

When the regular security lines start to backup, sometimes a TSA worker will direct people to the Pre Check line because it's faster. I've seen them either direct people that way or touch an Ipad that has an arrow that randomly picks a direction.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

thanks everyone. in my situation the precheck was printed on my boarding pass so it wasnt a case of TSA wanting to mitigate long lines (although I have experienced that once too). I am guessing it is due to AA recommending me as has been suggested in this thread. so it sounds like I may or may not get this benefit but there is nothing I can do to improve my chances without actually signing up. thanks, all
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:50 pm

Don't you get TSA Precheck on your boarding passes if you're "of a certain age?" I always get it now.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa
Don't you get TSA Precheck on your boarding passes if you're "of a certain age?" I always get it now.
Supposedly at age 75 or older you are eligible for kind of a PreCheck Lite or expedited screening. Not exactly the same but close. May be that the airlines are pushing forward older flyers for PreCheck and TSA is approving a lot of those to speed up screening.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

for the record. I'm not anywhere near 75. I thought it might be due to traveling with a young child but I've gotten precheck on my boarding pass even when traveling solo. I can't discern any pattern
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:14 am

for the record. I'm not anywhere near 75. I thought it might be due to traveling with a young child but I've gotten precheck on my boarding pass even when traveling solo. I can't discern any pattern
Then it's simply the luck of the draw and the airline pushing your name forward to TSA and you subsequently being accepted. TSA keeps saying this random selection is being reduced so you may see a drop off in your selection rate. Their whole ploy was to initially offer, through basically random selection and airlines pushing frequent flyers forward, PreCheck in hopes flyers would like it enough to sign up, in essence pay, for PreCheck or one of the other Trusted Traveler programs. Have to admit their ploy worked on me as I liked it enough that I signed up for Global Entry to get PreCheck and to expedite reentry into the US for my foreign travel.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:08 pm

I'm 70 so I guess it's just a happy coincidence that I get it every time I fly. Not complaining, believe me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.