Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell Phone Fast Chargers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Cell Phone Fast Chargers

My wife recently acquired one of those chargers that allows the fast charging of a cell phone or similar device. A friend at work claimed it was not allowed to bring one of those on board a plane, and that it would not get through security.

I am doubtful about the friend's advice. Am I right?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:12 pm
rlb

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I have one that is about the size of a tall lipstick tube- I have taken it on at least 10 air flights-- and never been asked to take it out or questioned. I carry it in the bag with all my other electronics- so am not sure what the problem would be.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I can't think of any technical reason why a charger would be prohibited on a plane. There's always the chance, however, that the checkpoint employee is in the market for a new charger and needs a "reason" to confiscate it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
My wife recently acquired one of those chargers that allows the fast charging of a cell phone or similar device. A friend at work claimed it was not allowed to bring one of those on board a plane, and that it would not get through security.

I am doubtful about the friend's advice. Am I right?
We've been carrying fast chargers for several years and never ever had an issue or challenge about our present or previous versions. We're talking literally dozens of flights and transits through security from San Antonio to Istanbul and points in between. Bogus information from the friend.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:47 am

I haven't had any problem carrying my Anker E5 charger internationally, and that's certainly bigger than a lipstick tube.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:55 am

I've carried a pair of these battery packs through every domestic and international flight I've been on in the last year. No issues.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:59 am

Your coworker's probably thinking about the FAA regulations on lithium batteries. As long as it's 100 watt hours or less per battery, it's fine to carry on board.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:17 pm

What about using it on a plane that has 110V outlets. Will it work?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Not exactly sure OP is talking about an actual charger or a battery pack.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
Yes, you can charge a battery pack via in-seat power.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by edcaya
Yes, you can charge a battery pack via in-seat power.
Right, but only if you bring your own charger, and not necessarily via the in-seat USB port. If the battery pack is determined to take in 2A, the in-seat usb outlet will shut off either immediately or after a few seconds.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the fast chargers that are actually batteries in and of themselves not a plug-in wall charger. I guess I've been carrying wall chargers for the better part of 20 years and only once had those questioned but that was because I'd just kind of thrown a number of them in my carry on and it was a rat's nest of wires. Couldn't blame the TSA for that one and I've since gone to using wire clips that keep them in nice neat bundles. Certainly easier for me and I've not had a question since then. As for batteries in general I'd again say I've not had any issues with those. My last trip was a 3-week land and cruise vacation in the Med and my carry on probably looked like a grab bag of batteries with up to nine batteries for our three digital cameras and my fast charger.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcaya
Your coworker's probably thinking about the FAA regulations on lithium batteries. As long as it's 100 watt hours or less per battery, it's fine to carry on board.
I've had direct experience carrying these 99 W-h packs on an aircraft: http://www.batteryspace.com/Li-ion-B...with-wire.aspx

I declared them at check-in and they took them over to someone in baggage to check, who verified that they're fine in the cabin and not ok in checked luggage (the response I was expecting). None of the fast chargers I've seen are anywhere close in capacity. We had three of the big packs distributed among three people.

There are much tighter restrictions on batteries that have lithium metal in them, but those are relatively rare.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:09 pm

I carry both an Anker lithium USB battery pack & 100v-240v AC fast charger with me at all times...never had an issue.

@chrisl137: I'd prefer you DIDN'T carry those battery packs on a flight I'm on, or at least made damn sure there wasn't a way for them to short out or get damaged. Not sure if you've ever experienced a lithium battery fire, but it's rather scary.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
@chrisl137: I'd prefer you DIDN'T carry those battery packs on a flight I'm on, or at least made damn sure there wasn't a way for them to short out or get damaged. Not sure if you've ever experienced a lithium battery fire, but it's rather scary.
They travel connectorized and the connectors taped over, with nothing in the carry on that can damage them-- they're not much different than a high capacity laptop battery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.