Search

DCA TSA confiscated my sunscreen :(

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
DCA TSA confiscated my sunscreen :(

Good morning!

Last Friday, as I was passing through the security checkpoint at DCA, I had a ziploc (freezer size) with a tub of sunscreen inside. I'm not exactly sure what the size of it was, but I thought that as long as I had it put inside the ziploc and as long as it fit, I'd be all good to go.

Well, lo and behold, once passing through the checkpoint, I was pulled aside and was told my sunscreen was too big. I tried to explain that I had sensitive skin and that the sunscreen fit inside the ziploc bag. I was told rudely, "no, it's a little too big, we have to throw it away." At that point, I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor came over, said the same thing, and added "unfortunately, we would need a doctor's note or RX proving that you had a sensitive skin condition. Otherwise, I have no choice but to throw it away."

I had no choice but to throw it away. ~$7 wasted, despite me explaining it was just a short weekend trip and following the rules the best I could. I didn't feel like escalating any further and possibly missing my flight. I was fuming inside, though.

Several questions:

a) Isn't it illegal to ask for a doctor's note? I thought that was outside of TSA's jurisdiction, and I thought they were supposed to make medical exemptions?

b) Should I contact the DCA FSD and ask for compensation ($7ish)? Am I being silly/unreasonable with this request?

c) I've traveled through checkpoints with sunscreen before, never been a problem. Why was it an issue this time, and why were they being rude and being so unreasonable about it? I mean, don't they have machines to check liquids? What should I do next time to ensure I can keep my contraband? (tongue in cheek)

I hope to get some helpful answers here.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Was it prescription sunscreen? If so, it would have had an RX label, and that's all you need. If it wasn't prescription and didn't have an RX label, if it's over 3 ounces, it goes in the trash with the dangerous bottles of water and big tubes of toothpaste.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
1. It was silly for them to require you to throw it out.
2. If the tube was >100ml, and it wasn't a prescription product, they were within the rules.
3. You could certainly file a complaint, but I'd just let this one go, you're very unlikely to get any satisfaction to justify the time investment.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rules on this are clear. If you want to write to TSA, suggesting that they change the rule, that is fine. Complaining about an Officer following the rules is pointless. Asking for compensation when you broke the rules is a bit over the top.

For those who might care:

1. Max size of the bag is 1 quart.
2. No one item may exceed 100 ml. (approx. 3 ounces).

It's been this way for 6+ years so not likely to change as the result of your contact.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience but it was largely due to you not truly understanding the regulations.

The size limit of allowable containers (note: not the actual amount of contents in the container) has been 3 ounces (100 ml) for a very long time. If your container was larger than that, well, that's on you (irregardless of the security theatreness of the limitation).

The baggie size allowed is "quart" size - most "freezer" size bags are one gallon. but see above - even if your greater than 3 ounce fit inside a quart bag it would still not be allowable.

it is not "illegal" for them to ask to see some documentation that would support your claim for medical necessity. "Gee, screener, please take my word for that these five 3-ounce bottles of liquid nitroglycerine are medically necessary. Really, I swear. It might be illegal of them to "require" you to produce documentation - but that doesn't pertain to this situation because they offer that as an option.

because the container was outside the allowable limits there was no requirement to go the extra step and use the analysis machine to determine if the contents contained prohibited/suspect chemicals - it was not allowable on its face.

They could have been nicer but its not illegal to not be as nice as a particular flyer would like them to be.

When you previously traveled with sunscreen was it also with this exact same container in the same gallon-size zip-lok bag? If yes, then the you were lucky. If not, perhaps you just don't recall that the other containers were less than 3 ounces in size.

you can ask but you will not receive compensation as they were following their well-publicized procedures on container sizes.

there are several acceptable methods for getting your "contraband" to your destination next time: a) put larger than 3 ounce size containers in your checked bags, b) ship such items to your destination ahead of your trip or c) simply buy the needed items when you arrive.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The rules on this are clear. If you want to write to TSA, suggesting that they change the rule, that is fine. Complaining about an Officer following the rules is pointless. Asking for compensation when you broke the rules is a bit over the top.

For those who might care:

1. Max size of the bag is 1 quart.
2. No one item may exceed 100 ml. (approx. 3 ounces).

It's been this way for 6+ years so not likely to change as the result of your contact.
Yes the rules are clear.

Medically necessary LGA's, prescription and non-prescription, that exceeds 3.4 ounces are permitted. All one needs do is to declare the item as medically necessary and separate it from any other LGA's contained in the allowed one quart zip top bag.

Your information for medically needed LGA's is incorrect.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Yes the rules are clear.

Medically necessary LGA's, prescription and non-prescription, that exceeds 3.4 ounces are permitted. All one needs do is to declare the item as medically necessary and separate it from any other LGA's contained in the allowed one quart zip top bag.

So are you saying the DCA TSA was in the wrong?

And, to answer another question upthread, no, there wasn't a RX label on my sunscreen. It was purchased from Rite Aid without a prescription of any kind whatsoever.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes the rules are clear.

That's what I was thinking as well. Medically-necessary doesn't come with a prescription requirement. I brought through a bottle of poison ivy gel once and got the same pitch. I asked the clerk where he got his medical degree and if he knew that practicing medicine without a license was a felony. Finally, I asked him if he wanted to see my oozing poison ivy rash.

20/20 hindsight for the OP: Next time, use the term "medically necessary" and, of you can, covertly video, or at least record the audio, of the "conversation."
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
So are you saying the DCA TSA was in the wrong?

And, to answer another question upthread, no, there wasn't a RX label on my sunscreen. It was purchased from Rite Aid without a prescription of any kind whatsoever.
If the item was declared as a medically necessary item then TSA should have screened it and if not found to be dangerous it should have cleared.

Prescription and OTC medical items can be excluded from your other LGA's.

But..... it has to be declared as a medical LGA and presented separate from any other LGA's that have to be presented in their 1 quart zip top bag.

I can see a case for this as a person who has a sun sensitivity or has skin cancer and is using sunscreen on orders of a doctor.

So the answer is all in how the item was presented.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

If the item was declared as a medically necessary item then TSA should have screened it and if not found to be dangerous it should have cleared.

Prescription and OTC medical items can be excluded from your other LGA's.

But..... it has to be declared as a medical LGA and presented separate from any other LGA's that have to be presented in their 1 quart zip top bag.

I can see a case for this as a person who has a sun sensitivity or has skin cancer and is using sunscreen on orders of a doctor.

So the answer is all in how the item was presented.
Actually, I did declare it medically necessary. New dimension to my story - sorry I didn't include this upfront, but I'm Deaf. I used my iPhone to talk to the two TSA screeners (we typed back and forth). I took a screenshot of the conversations - two links below.

https://flic.kr/p/wPzudi (1st part)

https://flic.kr/p/xtQEgm (2nd part)
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I'm not sure if this matters (and I hope the experts will have some input), but it is not clear to me if the liquid/gel/lotion was declared as a medical necessity prior to screening, or if you declared it as medically necessary after the lotion was discovered to be unacceptable. I would guess that it would have helped if the lotion was declared in advance.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I did declare it medically necessary. New dimension to my story - sorry I didn't include this upfront, but I'm Deaf. I used my iPhone to talk to the two TSA screeners (we typed back and forth). I took a screenshot of the conversations - two links below.

https://flic.kr/p/wPzudi (1st part)

https://flic.kr/p/xtQEgm (2nd part)
My understanding is that OTC or Prescription is allowable as a medically necessary LGA.

Your text of the conversation seems to show a TSA screener who either is not properly trained or just violated TSA SOP.

I would file a complaint with the DHS OIG http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/c...rm-english.pdf, your elected Congressperson, and file a complaint with the ACLU https://action.aclu.org/secure/think...hile-traveling

Your issue is pretty minor but the body of evidence is needed to bring change to TSA.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

My understanding is that OTC or Prescription is allowable as a medically necessary LGA.

Your text of the conversation seems to show a TSA screener who either is not properly trained or just violated TSA SOP.

I would file a complaint with the DHS OIG http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/c...rm-english.pdf, your elected Congressperson, and file a complaint with the ACLU https://action.aclu.org/secure/think...hile-traveling

Your issue is pretty minor but the body of evidence is needed to bring change to TSA.
Would you have any suggestions on how to best frame my complaint? Any specific policies I should point to, so to help support my case?

Also, I know this may seem like a silly question, but I'm trying to be careful, too. If I were to file a complaint against TSA/DHS (either or both via the form you gave me or ACLU), would there be any chance for retaliation against me? I don't want to be subject to any problems when traveling in the future. I don't mean to sound like a "sheep", but my family is on the west coast while I'm on the east coast, and I don't want any problems in the future preventing (or greatly inconveniencing) my egress.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you have any suggestions on how to best frame my complaint? Any specific policies I should point to, so to help support my case?

Also, I know this may seem like a silly question, but I'm trying to be careful, too. If I were to file a complaint against TSA/DHS (either or both via the form you gave me or ACLU), would there be any chance for retaliation against me? I don't want to be subject to any problems when traveling in the future. I don't mean to sound like a "sheep", but my family is on the west coast while I'm on the east coast, and I don't want any problems in the future preventing (or greatly inconveniencing) my egress.
State the situation as you believe it happened. If possible include the text that you presented here.

A complaint filed with DHS OIG is a complaint against TSA. ACLU is receiving reports of TSA screening abuses. What they will do with them is unknown.

If TSA retaliated against you for any complaint that would be a violation of law. I don't think TSA would do something like that.

Probably one of the the best actions you could take is to contact one of your Congressional members at their local offices and ask them to investigate.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:51 pm

This is definitely a rule that needs to be changed. It's one thing to limit the total amount of liquids and the quart bag does limit total volume. It really shouldn't make a difference what size containers are inside the bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.