Study abroad: UK Visa may not arrive in time

Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The second passport, although easily obtained, doesn't help OP. He needs the visa and if he's got the visa, he'll have his passport and won't need a second one.

OP won't be able to enter the UK as a tourist because he'll have his visa (whether issued or not). Thus, hard to tell UKBP you're there for tourism when they look down and see the visa app.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Visa Update

For anyone who arrives on this thread with a similar situation as me, I can confirm that buying the priority service is the best option. It took the UK Consulate 7 business days to process and print my Tier 4 Visa. Add 1-3 more business days on to the 7 for an accurate timetable of what to expect with the priority service during peak summer times.

Tips to decrease time:

1) Include a "table of contents" page to allow the reviewer to quickly see what you have and haven't included.

2) Purchase both air way bills from the VPS global website. It is cheaper then buying directly from UPS, and minimizes the risk of something going wrong.

3) Use US passport photos. The website says to include UK passport sized photos, but ordering these takes extra time and is not necessary. They will cut down a US passport photo to the UK size.

4) If you are really strapped for time you can purchase Saturday and Sunday delivery for UPS.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Thanks much for the helpful update!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:15 pm

Seems like OP has this sorted out, but for others who come to this thread this is my experience from 2011... For what it's worth...

-7/4 - online application complete and biometrics appointment confirmed
-7/15 - biometrics appointment
-7/26 - notification from NYC consulate that my application was been opened
-7/29 - notification from NYC consulate that my application was assigned to an Entry Clearance Officer
-8/1 - notification that my visa was issued and that my passport was on its way back.
-8/3 - passport was back in my possession

So just under 1 month, soup to nuts with no special rushing.

My uni was really good getting me a CAS number on time... I had it in May of that year, so nearly 2 months before I could even apply.

-Q-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.