Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Don't know how airport customs work with green card and citizens

Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

I will be traveling back to U.S. via JFK airport with my husband who is a citizen. I am a permanent resident. Our son is also a citizen. I heard that nowadays the customs paper is filled out whoever is residing at the same address (it's been so long since I have traveled). Do we all stand together in the citizens line when we get back? Or is there a separate line for green card holders? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by newtothissite
I will be traveling back to U.S. via JFK airport with my husband who is a citizen. I am a permanent resident. Our son is also a citizen. I heard that nowadays the customs paper is filled out whoever is residing at the same address (it's been so long since I have traveled). Do we all stand together in the citizens line when we get back? Or is there a separate line for green card holders? Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to FT!

Yes, a family may fill out one declaration card for the entire family.

Yes, permanent residents use the same line as citizens. You will all use the same line and approach the officer together.

enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Citizens and permanent residents go through together and I believe JFK has the APC machines which read the lead traveler's passport and replace the paper form. There may not be too much of a line for immigration, customs is another matter. If you are a green card holder and have been out of the US for more than six months I believe that you should have been getting permission from CIS every six months. I have no experience of this however.

This is not official but it may be helpful: http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/retain-greencard.html

Last edited by MADPhil; Aug 5, 2015 at 4:14 pm Reason: added link
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:37 pm

first I did this when my american husband and I was told 2 different lines. We did that.
Got yelled at customers since we were married and I had the customs form.
So my advice do the same. Customs dont want family mebers in 2 different lines. And a family can only (what I have been told) only have 1.

Last edited by tanja; Aug 5, 2015 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
My husband has traveled in and out of the US on his green card several times. Even when I'm not with him, he goes through the US line with his green card and his British passport. When we fly together, we go through the US line together with one declaration.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:47 pm

Whether a permanent resident can use the line for US citizens depends on an airport. Most airports indeed allocate the same lines for US citizens and permanent residents, but in any case, there will always be a sign directing people which line to use.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by König
Whether a permanent resident can use the line for US citizens depends on an airport. Most airports indeed allocate the same lines for US citizens and permanent residents, but in any case, there will always be a sign directing people which line to use.
yes. But if they are married/family that will cause problems. Cause customs wants 1 form for familly. Kind of hard to do if you are in 2 different lines. Believe I have done. With customs really angry.

Last edited by tanja; Aug 7, 2015 at 5:43 pm
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:59 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by tanja
yes. But if they are married/family that will cause problems. Cause customs wants 1 form for familly. Kind of hard to do if you are in 2 different lines. Believe I have done. With customs really angry.
And as he said it depends on the airport, and sometimes the agents on duty. Some airports send greencards through the foreign line. Some allow Canadians to use the US lines with Greencard holders. It depends and often changes.

All of the computer systems set up in the main booths can process either types of immigrants, citizens or visitors.

There are various reasons they prefer families together including but not limited to cash structuring and FINCEN105 rules, dec limits, child trafficking, etc.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by König
Ah - good point. We usually go through the same airports every time (so far), so our experience would definitely be limited.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
And as he said it depends on the airport, and sometimes the agents on duty. Some airports send greencards through the foreign line. Some allow Canadians to use the US lines with Greencard holders. It depends and often changes.

All of the computer systems set up in the main booths can process either types of immigrants, citizens or visitors.

There are various reasons they prefer families together including but not limited to cash structuring and FINCEN105 rules, dec limits, child trafficking, etc.
Yes Believe me I know. Me and my now x husband was told to go in different immigraion/passport lines . But also only with 1 customs card?The reason we were married.
Guess what. His US citizent "officer" got in a bad mood. She asked where was his customscard. He told her with his wife. She aggreed that only 1 form per family. She wanted him to have it. But in the same time I should have it.
Finally she gave up and they called me into the US citizent line.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you both walk up to the booth together, the officer will probably yell at you.

If one of you walk ups to the booth while the other waits in line, the officer will probably yell at you.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
If you both walk up to the booth together, the officer will probably yell at you.

If one of you walk ups to the booth while the other waits in line, the officer will probably yell at you.
YES. You are so correct.
I have dealt with immigraton/customs workers at the same airport not aggreing.
In the end they solved it. Not easy.
I was even once told that my then 5 year old son (we had different last names) that he needed his own customs papers signed by HIM.?
He did not even know how to read or write.
So it all depends who is working.Sorry to say.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:22 pm

Beware of IAH

Arrived at IAH on ANA from NRT last month. Immi would not allow Green Card Holders in U.S. Citizen line. I argued since Mrs. EX is my wife with the GC and I am holding U.S. Passport that we go together thru the Citizen line, That was denied. So I lined up with her at the visitor line which of course was much more crowded. Has never happened to us at any other U.S. POE. Will definitely avoid IAH in the future and hope this does not spread.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Get GE and avoid the useless meatsacks of CBP almost entirely.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Arrived at IAH on ANA from NRT last month. Immi would not allow Green Card Holders in U.S. Citizen line. I argued since Mrs. EX is my wife with the GC and I am holding U.S. Passport that we go together thru the Citizen line, That was denied. So I lined up with her at the visitor line which of course was much more crowded. Has never happened to us at any other U.S. POE. Will definitely avoid IAH in the future and hope this does not spread.
Strange, because I travel from Mexico through IAH regularly with my green card wife and every time they tell us to stay together and use the citizen lines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.