Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Help me understand what happened at RDU in security lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta

We were traveling early morning, July 10, going through security at RDU around 6 a.m. We've managed to get pre-check for the last year, but for this RDU-DFW flight didn't get it. And, wouldn't you know - the lines were the longest I've ever seen in 25 years at RDU. They stretched out into the ticketing area and looped around and around. This is the first time I've ever seen sniffing dogs (X2) going up and down the rows of people lined up.

After about 30 minutes we made it to the point where the real security line-up start. All of a sudden, a TSA agent loudly yelled "don't remove liquids, don't remove shoes, don't remove jackets, just go through screening" In other words, everyone turned into TSA pre-check.

How and why was there an immediate shift from obvious heightened security to just go through? Did the dogs "clear" everyone?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 am

The TSA realizes that the Pre Check level of screening is sufficient for virtually all passengers. I've watched them do the same thing at MCO. They would send families to the Pre Check line with no hesitation. As a lone male traveler in his 30's, I had to wait for the arrow on a magic IPad to tell me it was ok to go to the Pre Check line.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta, United
You probably did not get PreCheck because the TSA is eliminating it for those those who do not pay. And some in Congress want to make it a law: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/2127

As for what happened? The lines got too long and magically the threat went to zero because the dogs did not alert so ya'll got PreCheck and flights were not missed.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We just did a trip to MIA and back. Airline gifted us with Pre Check on all legs of our flights. I don't have status or any other reason to get Pre other than having a multi-year history with the same airline.

Speaking of delays, at MIA on an early Saturday morning last week the regular security lines where very full while Pre Check had no one in it. Walked right up to the TDC with no one in front or behind. An extreme waste of manpower, not to mention the TSA roving patrols inside the secure area harassing travelers who had already cleared security.

TSA needs to focus on on manning the checkpoints in a manner that benefits everyone instead of giving paid benefits to a select 4% of travelers and by that I mean Pre style screening for everyone. If there are alarms then deal with the individual issues.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
We just did a trip to MIA and back. Airline gifted us with Pre Check on all legs of our flights. I don't have status or any other reason to get Pre other than having a multi-year history with the same airline.

Speaking of delays, at MIA on an early Saturday morning last week the regular security lines where very full while Pre Check had no one in it. Walked right up to the TDC with no one in front or behind. An extreme waste of manpower, not to mention the TSA roving patrols inside the secure area harassing travelers who had already cleared security.

TSA needs to focus on on manning the checkpoints in a manner that benefits everyone instead of giving paid benefits to a select 4% of travelers and by that I mean Pre style screening for everyone. If there are alarms then deal with the individual issues.
Just to be clear, your airline didn't "gift you" with anything. The decision is made by TSA and the carrier simply codes your BP (and prints the Pre-check) logo on your BP.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

My question isn't about pre-check. I understand that's somewhat random and is slowly being more difficult to get. I've already started the official enrollment process.

My main question was about how almost all passengers went from heightened security to everyone being the equivalent to pre-check, in just a few seconds time. I guess I was a bit nervous because I could tell something was happening, with the dogs and extra security. Then, all of a sudden, security didn't seem to matter at all.....that's what I was wondering about.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:50 pm

It happened to me at JFK on a early Monday morning flight to ORD.

It was not awfully packed, but I suppose since it is in NYC where security and anti-terrorism tatics are strong that the TSA felt confident to allow almost everyone to have pre-check. Almost everyone was a businessman and woman, I was there on vacation however.

I was quite surprise and happy to experience European-like security in my own country post-9/11 !
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Just to be clear, your airline didn't "gift you" with anything. The decision is made by TSA and the carrier simply codes your BP (and prints the Pre-check) logo on your BP.

I think your mistaken on this but if you have something showing that I am wrong I would appreciate you sharing with me.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:13 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think your mistaken on this but if you have something showing that I am wrong I would appreciate you sharing with me.
https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/fre...sked-questions
"TSA will determine an individual’s eligibility for TSA Pre✓® on a flight-by-flight basis through an intelligence risk-based analysis of passenger data."
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

The dogs were a training exercise. They, in fact, didn't alert - but that was pure coincidence. Once the line got beyond that which was manageable TSA shifted to expedite a sufficient number of passengers to regain control.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:09 am
Original Poster

FirstinFight - thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKDGM
https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/fre...sked-questions
"TSA will determine an individual’s eligibility for TSA Pre✓® on a flight-by-flight basis through an intelligence risk-based analysis of passenger data."
Thank you, I thought it was an airline selection process.

With that being said, if TSA knows enough about me or any other person to give them Pre Check today then why not tomorrow?

TSA has already demonstrated that they have enough information to make that decision without all of the malarkey of a background check and what have you.

The overall goal of TSA is to keep weapons off of airplanes and if they can screen low risk people more efficiently doesn't that advance their prime objective?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Why do we all not get pre-check all the time? I seem to get it about 95% of the time, but I understand what's going on. 1.) I've always viewed getting pre-check as marketing, giving me exposure to it, making me love it, making me miss it when I don't get it. The marketing technique worked because I didn't get pre-check during my last flight - and I immediately signed up for my official interview. 2.) I know the TSA wants us to not know when we are going to get pre-check. That keeps an element of security in place, just the unknown if you are going to have those extra screening procedures. 3.) I'm pretty sure some flights have no passengers who are pre-check, based on potential risks associated with that specific flight.

So, yes, the TSA has lots of information about me and I know it. But, there are some reasons I get pre-check most of the time and don't get it those few times (but here's what happened when I didn't get it....husband got pre-check and TSA agent just told me to give all the luggage to him for him to go through quickly. In other words, just hand off)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Found my answer - I was part of "managed inclusion"

Original poster here. I found answer to my question. I was part of "managed inclusion" Found this in article from Travel Weekly about TSAs work to market precheck.

From article:
Another of the TSA’s promotional tools is its “managed inclusion” program, which is primarily designed to keep traffic moving through security lanes. Under managed inclusion, if the PreCheck lane is empty and travelers are waiting in the standard lane, TSA agents may direct unqualified travelers to the PreCheck lane.

“We can’t have a PreCheck lane that screens four travelers an hour,” Feinstein said.

Managed inclusion is also a way to introduce travelers to TSA PreCheck. This is a double-edged sword, however, since it sometimes irks travelers who have paid for their known-traveler status. And some lawmakers have expressed concern that the TSA’s real-time threat assessment might not be effective.

The TSA uses dogs, explosives-trace technology and behavior-detection agents to vet the traveler it redirects through underused PreCheck lanes. But a recent report by the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General found that a convicted felon who was also a former member of a domestic terrorism organization was permitted to pass through a PreCheck lane, a breach of security that Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.) called “simply inexcusable.”
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by wintersummer
... But a recent report by the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General found that a convicted felon who was also a former member of a domestic terrorism organization was permitted to pass through a PreCheck lane, a breach of security that Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.) called “simply inexcusable.”
Isolated incident. Won't happen again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.