Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Does an airline know if you've gone through security yet?

Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

I know you get your boarding pass scanned by tsa at the checkpoint, but is that information then sent to airlines so they know where you are in the boarding process?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Since your boarding card is scanned when you enter the security checkpoint the airline cannot know if you have completed the security check.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The two systems aren't linked, e.g. TSA checkpoint scanners to carrier. Carriers don't even know that you entered the checkpoint.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:10 am
Original Poster

So, theoretically, I could go through security with one ticket, and board a different flight on a different ticket?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by discoseal
So, theoretically, I could go through security with one ticket, and board a different flight on a different ticket?
Yes, you could
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Wow, even if I'm not the person named on the other ticket? I'm trying to think if that's a legitimate concern
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
That's been the point of many of us for well over a decade. All of the security checks are mostly theater, especially the scribbles on boarding passes and the like. Security should be solely responsible for ensuring that no weapons make it into a terminal. The current system does a fairly poor job of that, but then layers a lot of other non-relevant stuff into the process. Boarding pass checks are one of them.

So, yes, you could book a ticket, check in, go through security, and then toss that ticket and do something else. Go meet your family and friends at the gate, like you used to, then call the airline, cancel your flight, and get a refund later. The government has seized your passport due to your upcoming trial? Get a fake one, go through airport security on a real domestic boarding pass with your real name on it, then throw it away, whip out your fake passport and boarding pass for the non-extradition country of your choice, and get on the plane to freedom.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:53 am

Wow, even if I'm not the person named on the other ticket? I'm trying to think if that's a legitimate concern
I don't think it's a concern as long as passengers are screened properly. A terrorist isn't going to be able to harm the plane if they have no weapons. The ID and boarding pass really add little to security. The no fly list isn't being checked at the security checkpoint. It's pretty easy to modify the name on an online check in boarding pass with software.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Avoid travelling in Europe then if that's a concern. Many airlines do not check ID at all for intra-Schengen travel.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know you get your boarding pass scanned by tsa at the checkpoint, but is that information then sent to airlines so they know where you are in the boarding process?
The real question is why does TSA even look at a persons boarding pass? Is it to make sure that the person is authorized to enter the sterile area if they clear screening or for some other made up reason?

Does it matter if the airline knows or does not know if a person has cleared security. Isn't just being present in the sterile area a strong indication that the person has been screened?

What security function is accomplished by the TSA TDC?

Why couldn't an airline employee do that check before the person enters the security lines?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would suspect that the LHR terminals that enforce conformance might also give information to the airline about whether the person has gone through the conformance check or not.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The real question is why does TSA even look at a persons boarding pass? Is it to make sure that the person is authorized to enter the sterile area if they clear screening or for some other made up reason?

Does it matter if the airline knows or does not know if a person has cleared security. Isn't just being present in the sterile area a strong indication that the person has been screened?

What security function is accomplished by the TSA TDC?

Why couldn't an airline employee do that check before the person enters the security lines?
Two reasons:

1. Limits the # of people in the sterile area who need to be screened. If people could just wander through the checkpoint, there would need to be massively more stations.

2. A lot of the checks are done in the background. That's why cash-paid walk-up tickets may generate an "SSSS".
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
In 2007 my husband - still without a green card at that time (he's a British national) - was traveling back from Barbados via Miami International Airport. He didn't realize until he boarded that his boarding pass did not have his name on it.

The names weren't even remotely alike - the first name on the BP was DEXTER and he shares a first name with a former British monarch, so no - not even close! He literally didn't catch it until he was already on board and the FA didn't call him Mr. Pup7 when they asked to see his BP as he boarded.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Two reasons:

1. Limits the # of people in the sterile area who need to be screened. If people could just wander through the checkpoint, there would need to be massively more stations.

2. A lot of the checks are done in the background. That's why cash-paid walk-up tickets may generate an "SSSS".
#1 could easily be handled by airline/airport workers. In many cases they are already present making sure that a person enters the correct line. No boarding pass/gate pass then no admittance to the security lanes.

As far as #2 I don't see why standard screening isn't adequate to determine if a person has threat items or not. Isn't the use of SSSS an acknowledgment that standard TSA screening is not sufficient to ensure a person has no contraband items?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Does tsa still screen id's and boarding passes at the gate?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.