Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Does an airline know if you've gone through security yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does an airline know if you've gone through security yet?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by discoseal
Does tsa still screen id's and boarding passes at the gate?
Sometimes, yes it still does. Just not very frequently, and very uncommon now.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Pedro M
Yes, you could
How would you get the other border pass for the second flight?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimGateB
How would you get the other border pass for the second flight?
Online checkin -- via computer or smartphone browser/app. Airside or landslide kiosks or check-in agents. Airside airline gate/customer service agent. Those are the ways it's frequently done.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by discoseal
I know you get your boarding pass scanned by tsa at the checkpoint, but is that information then sent to airlines so they know where you are in the boarding process?
Don't know why the TSA would be involved, but at LHR - at least in T5 - airlines are perfectly aware of when you're through security. In fact, you'll be denied passage through security if you're too late. (I think T2 might be similar, since it's newer.)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by televisor
Don't know why the TSA would be involved, but at LHR - at least in T5 - airlines are perfectly aware of when you're through security. In fact, you'll be denied passage through security if you're too late. (I think T2 might be similar, since it's newer.)
Not true. The so-called conformance check only informs some airline DCS, and that too the information is not about when all passengers have been through security.

The LHR conformance checks only work to allow some airlines to know when a passenger has passed the conformance check and been allowed to go toward the security screening checkpoint. That's very different than the airline knowing someone has been through security.

Even at LHR T5, I've managed to circumvent the conformance check cut-off to make my originally scheduled flight. BA had no clue at what time I had been through security at LHR. They weren't even always clearly aware about what time I had cleared the conformance check.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not true. The so-called conformance check only informs some airline DCS, and that too the information is not about when all passengers have been through security.

The LHR conformance checks only work to allow some airlines to know when a passenger has passed the conformance check and been allowed to go toward the security screening checkpoint. That's very different than the airline knowing someone has been through security.

Even at LHR T5, I've managed to circumvent the conformance check cut-off to make my originally scheduled flight. BA had no clue at what time I had been through security at LHR. They weren't even always clearly aware about what time I had cleared the conformance check.
This is all semantics. Being at security usually means you're on your way towards being out of security again. And security times are fairly predictable.

And OP explicitly asked about boarding passes being scanned before the checkpoint, and whether that is sent to the airline. Which, as you mentioned, it is.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:23 pm
Suspended

This is all semantics. Being at security usually means you're on your way towards being out of security again. And security times are fairly predictable.

And OP explicitly asked about boarding passes being scanned before the checkpoint, and whether that is sent to the airline. Which, as you mentioned, it is.
It's not semantics. It's about accuracy/inaccuracy of the specific information being commented upon..

Clearing security times at LHR are fairly predictable? ROTFLOL I more or less live at LHR T5 this year, and the variance in time to clear security at LHR T5 is horrible. This extreme variance in time to clear LHR T5 security is sort of what drove the move to set up the conformance checks to be allowed to even head toward security screening.

The boarding pass scans at LHR T5 don't tell the airlines when the passenger has been through the security screening checkpoint. It simply just doesn't do that. And that's at a terminal which is more integrated with an airline DCS than any other terminal at LHR.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It's not semantics. It's about accuracy/inaccuracy of the specific information being commented upon..

Clearing security times at LHR are fairly predictable? ROTFLOL I more or less live at LHR T5 this year, and the variance in time to clear security at LHR T5 is horrible. This extreme variance in time to clear LHR T5 security is sort of what drove the move to set up the conformance checks to be allowed to even head toward security screening.

The boarding pass scans at LHR T5 don't tell the airlines when the passenger has been through the security screening checkpoint. It simply just doesn't do that. And that's at a terminal which is more integrated with an airline DCS than any other terminal at LHR.
However they have a general idea of the speed of the lanes. I was just there yesterday. There's a big sign that shows the approx length of time to get through security. It may not be 100% but it's a decent indication for the airline.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However they have a general idea of the speed of the lanes. I was just there yesterday. There's a big sign that shows the approx length of time to get through security. It may not be 100% but it's a decent indication for the airline.
It still doesn't do what was indicated: tell the airline when a specific passenger has cleared security.

The variance from even lane to lane or passenger group to passenger group at T5 is very extreme. That means it's not a decent indication for the airline.

Even now the times from the conformance check are just an indication of when a passenger has been allowed to proceed to security for a given flight. It doesn't tell the airline if/when a passenger has cleared the security screening checkpoint. Also, some T5 passengers clear security without the conformance check time even being associated with the PNR of the actual flight flown by some such passengers; not that this changes the fact that the conformance check doesn't tell the airline if/when a specific passenger has cleared the passenger security screening checkpoint. The conformance check tells some airlines when the conformance check was performed, not if/when a passenger has cleared the passenger screening checkpoint.

The airline and airport could have created and utilized a system for knowing when every passenger who had cleared T5 conformance check has also cleared T5 security, but they don't know that.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 11, 2016 at 1:45 am
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:28 pm

It still doesn't do what was indicated: tell the airline when a specific passenger has cleared security.

The variance from even lane to lane or passenger group to passenger group at T5 is very extreme. That means it's not a decent indication for the airline.

Even now the times from the conformance check are just an indication of when a passenger has been allowed to proceed to security for a given flight. It doesn't tell the airline if/when a passenger has cleared the security screening checkpoint. Also, some T5 passengers clear security without the conformance check time even being associated with the PNR of the actual flight flown by some such passengers; not that this changes the fact that the conformance check doesn't tell the airline if/when a specific passenger has cleared the passenger security screening checkpoint. The conformance check tells some airlines when the conformance check was performed, not if/when a passenger has cleared the passenger screening checkpoint.

The airline and airport could have created and utilized a system for knowing when every passenger who had cleared T5 conformance check has also cleared T5 security, but they don't know that.
Which just shows that the pre-security data is more than good enough for most airlines - which is also all that OP was asking for. There's a ton of uncertainty at any point, but having an indication that a passenger is somewhere at the airport is clearly useful enough for the airlines.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Which just shows that the pre-security data is more than good enough for most airlines - which is also all that OP was asking for. There's a ton of uncertainty at any point, but having an indication that a passenger is somewhere at the airport is clearly useful enough for the airlines.
Even after passengers pass conformance checks at LHR, there are ways for some. such passengers to exit the airport without clearing the passenger security screening checkpoints and to do so even without the airline necessarily knowing whether or not the passenger is still at the airport.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:24 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Is it still the case that the airlines can’t see if someone has been screened by TSA?

Wondering if a gate agent might wait for a passenger before closing the doors if they’ve seen a recent clearance through security so it might indicate they’re on their way.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. No, carriers do not have that visibility. Even in the new pilot program where carriers load their manifests into a local TSA database so that BP's need not be scanned at the checkpoint (IAD & IND are examples).

2. GA's do not make the decision to hold an aircraft. That decision is made by Operations (or its equivalent for a given carrier). GA's can see how many passengers are connecting and whether those passengers are in range, have landed, or their aircraft is offloading. But, that is rarely a factor in holding a flight.

Bottom line is that TSA clearance data may be a useful metric in measuring approximate delays, but individual passenger clearance is not something that carriers particularly want or need. It is the passenger's obligation to present himself at the gate by the published time.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by b8b
Is it still the case that the airlines can’t see if someone has been screened by TSA?

Wondering if a gate agent might wait for a passenger before closing the doors if they’ve seen a recent clearance through security so it might indicate they’re on their way.
Generally, the airline has no clue about whether a checked in passenger has shown up and cleared security at a TSA screening checkpoint.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would suspect that the LHR terminals that enforce conformance might also give information to the airline about whether the person has gone through the conformance check or not.
However, the conformance check isn't carried out by the security staff (LHR equivalent of TSA), but some other contractor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.