Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

is it safe for my niece to go to Hawaii from California with just a drivers license

is it safe for my niece to go to Hawaii from California with just a drivers license

Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:39 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Until the OP returns please don't speculate

we don't actually know and until the OP returns we don't know so please don't speculate or get snarky. Both the asked and unasked q. has been answered

thanks

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Even if the border patrol was there and asked her if she was a citizen, all she needs to do is answer yes and there isn't much they can do from there - we are not required to carry any proof of citizenship or some nonsensical national ID card here in the USA so there is no way the border patrol can validate her answer unless they suspect she is obviously lying and start typing things into a computer to check further.

Considering the Hawaiian Islands are the most remote islands in the world, I've honestly never seen the border patrol outside of the international arrivals area at HNL...it's not like any illegal aliens wash up on the beaches here.

So, provided the California ID or license is valid and she doesn't have a panic attack the airport, there is almost a zero change she will be targeted for questioning by anyone about her status. She runs the same risk every time she goes outside the house, even in California.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Even if the border patrol was there and asked her if she was a citizen, all she needs to do is answer yes and there isn't much they can do from there - we are not required to carry any proof of citizenship or some nonsensical national ID card here in the USA so there is no way the border patrol can validate her answer unless they suspect she is obviously lying and start typing things into a computer to check further.
If she has a heavy accent, even a simple "yes" can indicate that English is not her first language :-) In that case, she has an increased chance of being asked more questions. And besides, not all people can lie to a LEO calmly and confidently.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by König
If she has a heavy accent, even a simple "yes" can indicate that English is not her first language :-) In that case, she has an increased chance of being asked more questions. And besides, not all people can lie to a LEO calmly and confidently.
Yes, it's horrible horrible horrible advice. CPB is suspicious enough to ask of the traveler is a citizen, and then the traveler is supposed to lie in response to the question?????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.