Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"Did you pack this yourself"- What happens if you say no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Did you pack this yourself"- What happens if you say no?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:34 am

Hi Everybody,

I have read all of yours posts and i want to ask for a different situation.

I will fly from London to Newyork with my friend soon, he is not my best friend but i know him, He told me that he is going to have 2 bags and asked me to check his extra baggage for not paying excess baggage fee. (I will not have any checked baggage). He also told me that he is going to let me check and repack his bag. We will going to check in together and if a question “Have you been given anything to take on the flight?” arise and i honestly answer "yes, the whole baggage belongs to my friend who is next to me" would there be any problem? Does the airline refuse to carry baggage or us ? I would be appreciated if you share your deep experience with me. Thank you
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I am asked it every time at LHR by United, or the agents just prior to the check-in desk.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fyolacan
Hi Everybody,

I have read all of yours posts and i want to ask for a different situation.

I will fly from London to Newyork with my friend soon, he is not my best friend but i know him, He told me that he is going to have 2 bags and asked me to check his extra baggage for not paying excess baggage fee. (I will not have any checked baggage). He also told me that he is going to let me check and repack his bag. We will going to check in together and if a question “Have you been given anything to take on the flight?” arise and i honestly answer "yes, the whole baggage belongs to my friend who is next to me" would there be any problem? Does the airline refuse to carry baggage or us ? I would be appreciated if you share your deep experience with me. Thank you
At some level I'm thinking "OK. No big deal." and at another I'm thinking "Let him check in his own bag." I guess the salient point is if you have indeed checked and repacked the bag and feel comfortable with the contents then I'd skip the bag belongs to my friend business. Not sure what exactly an airline would or could do if you were forthcoming with the bag actually belonging to your traveling companion. Best case nothing and let the bag and you get on the plane. Worst case is boarding denial. Personally since he is not a close friend I'd not do it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I am asked it every time at LHR by United, or the agents just prior to the check-in desk.
I just got asked this by a TSA Behavioral Detection Officer (BDO) at a checkpoint.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
I just got asked this by a TSA Behavioral Detection Officer (BDO) at a checkpoint.
What on earth is one of them and do they have pointy heads?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
You got asked if you packed your own carry on? That's a new one to me.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
You got asked if you packed your own carry on? That's a new one to me.
Yes. The BDO asked if I had checked luggage, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.