Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New (Microwave) Scanners at FRA - No "opt-out"?

New (Microwave) Scanners at FRA - No "opt-out"?

Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:10 pm

so the Europeans are ok with this? I thought they had said no to these type of scanners in Germany and other countries.

I would be curious about the level of pat-downs in Europe. Are whites going to get a cursory one while the black/brown and others get more aggressive type of patdowns for "noncompliance" with body scanners.....or is it only a matter of time till they make it aggressive permanently for those 'special' people.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
No, they are allowed in the EU under the condition that opt-outs are permitted and passengers are informed of that possibility (among others).
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by cdn1
so the Europeans are ok with this? I thought they had said no to these type of scanners in Germany and other countries.

I would be curious about the level of pat-downs in Europe. Are whites going to get a cursory one while the black/brown and others get more aggressive type of patdowns for "noncompliance" with body scanners.....or is it only a matter of time till they make it aggressive permanently for those 'special' people.
As far as I know, many Europeans aren't ok with it. But since when do politicians listen to the people they claim to work for?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just went through security at FRA A and went through the new scanner line.

Asked for a manual check, but was informed that no "opt-out" exists in Europe. However, was shown the metal detector line that I could have used.....
I too have recently been through FRA A security and noted the line up configuration. My interpretation of the opt out facilities at FRA, it is up to the pax to self select the WTMD in order to avoid the AIT.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Just came across this tweet by crypto expert Daniel J. Bernstein (djb) of a notice he handed out to screeners at AMS regarding the right to opt-out.

One option to fight this would be to raise the issue through the EU's Solvit service. As I haven't directly experienced this I can't file, but perhaps someone here could try that?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:18 am

I have been in contact via Europe Direct and it appears the correct procedure would be to report the Netherlands as potentially in breach of EU regulations. Unfortunately that procedure can take a year or longer. Meanwhile I am also supposed to seek redress on the national level, so I have once again tried to get a response from the ministry of defence.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:04 am

In AMS, are they just refusing to provide notice that one can opt out or are they actually refusing to allow passengers to opt out?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by guflyer
In AMS, are they just refusing to provide notice that one can opt out or are they actually refusing to allow passengers to opt out?
At AMS they allow the opt-out from the strip machine scanners, but they don't do all they can to indicate that opt-out is a right for all passengers.

Sometimes at AMS, even the opt-out printed material is nowhere in plain sight to all passengers at the screening checkpoint. And large signs at the strip search machine scanner entrances? I've certainly not seen them all the time at AMS.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:19 pm

I've not seen any signs or other printed materia at any time. Opt out is now usually not a problem anymore, a few months ago I used to get some grief ("Oh, that's suspicious, why do you want to opt out? You have to tell me now!"), but complaining to the Marechaussee and asking for supervisors seems to have done the trick.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:21 pm

Hello all,

Yes, you can opt-out. I can speak a bit of German, so had no problem, but you just need to ask for the boss "Chef". They will confirm that an opt-out exists. At DUS, it even says on the signs "Kontrolle durch den Krperscanner ist freiwillig", meaning "Screening through the body scanner is voluntary". In the EU, you can opt-out. Just ask for the boss, if they say you can't.

It's worth checking the main threads dedicated to this topic. Germany has had a 'crackdown' on security recently, and you can see my post detailing that on this page:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25392498-post1332.html

the main thread can be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...canner-89.html

and a more frequently updated UK-specific one is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...2013-a-53.html
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Various
The problem with self selecting is that now that most German airports have moved or are in the process of moving to primarily scanners it will be much harder to do it.

In Hamburg it even looks like the fast track is exclusively scanner.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I was denied opt-out in FRA, at the B --> Z connection point. Person said there's no opt-out and denied that the scanners used radiation.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
MUC has the L3 ATD too since a few weeks. A few days ago I was in a rush and took the station with the shortest lane. Of course it was the L3 station, people are avoiding it like the plague.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I was denied opt-out in FRA, at the B --> Z connection point. Person said there's no opt-out and denied that the scanners used radiation.
Did you ask for a supervisor? Is there any printed material available at the location informing passengers of their rights?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by oliver2002
MUC has the L3 ATD too since a few weeks. A few days ago I was in a rush and took the station with the shortest lane. Of course it was the L3 station, people are avoiding it like the plague.
I'd like to know if wait times have gone up or down after introducing these scanners?

I departed from Hamburg a couple of times recently and every time it took 20 minutes or so whereas in the past it always felt like I breezed through. Same time so if there is a difference it's because of the scanners. I understand that I am biased so that's why I want to know if there is any data available so I can prove or disprove.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.